Game #3 of CCT: UConn 1:00 (ESPN2)

Consigliere

All-American
Game #3 of the Charleston Classic Tourney is against UConn. After watching our atrocious performance against UF, I don't have much faith in us bouncing back especially with our Coach "intentionally" playing our low energy lineups. The combination of playing the wrong lineups and lack of leadership are a deadly combination. In addition to our awful lineups, Blackshear was essentially able to out produce all of our big men by himself (keep in mind Blackshear only played 35 minutes whereas all of our big men combined to play 80 minutes).

UConn is a pretty good team at 3-2 and they just played #18 Xavier in an incredibly close game. They just got back James Bouknight and he has been playing incredibly well. This is a bad match-up for us because our front court is atrocious and they have pretty darn good big men. UConn scores 78.2 PPG (106th), allows 73.0 PPG (258th) and grabs 43.8 RPG (25th). UConn isn't the best 3PT shooting team as they hit 33.3% (155th) of their shots.

RPI: 70th (https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/rpi-ranking/rpi-rating-by-team)

BPI: 9th (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/view/overview/page/2)

SOS: 143rd

Who have they played:

Wins: Sacred Heart (2-3) [Won by 22], UF (4-2) [Won by 3] and Buffalo (3-2) [Won by 11]

Losses: Saint Joes (2-4) [Loss by 9] and #18 Xavier (6-0) [Loss by 1]

Players to Watch: UConn has 5 players who score at least 10 PPG and a 6th who averages 9 PPG. Christian Vital is a tremendous guard at 6'2. Somehow he scores 16.4 PPG, grabs 9.8 RPG, 3.8 APG and 3.6 SPG. That is a crazy stat line. Josh Carlton is their 6'11 Center. He averages 12.4 PPG, 8.6 RPG and 1.6 BPG. He will likely destroy our big men.

Spread: TBD

Advertisement
We were after Bouknight at one point.

Don’t want to see another repeat starting lineup of our bigs. They couldn’t even drop a double double combined on UF.

The freshman need regular minutes to develop

We were after Bouknight at one point.

Don’t want to see another repeat starting lineup of our bigs. They couldn’t even drop a double double combined on UF.

The freshman need regular minutes to develop

I have no doubt that Coach will force those two and play our low energy lineup unless the decision is taken from him (e.g. an injury).

I would not be shocked if this stubbornness will lead to a transfer.

If I am Walker and I am watching this trash, I would certainly think about my future here.

There will be plenty of minutes for Walker next season. I don't expect Miller or Waardenburg to be here.

You’d think, if you knew that NOW, you would hardly play them (Rodney and Sam) and get Walker ready for next year. Give Walker plenty of opportunities and time NOW, let him get more ready for tomorrow.

Walker may transfer.

Last edited:
Advertisement
P.S. UConn is going to give us the business.

Yep. Love Jim and thank him for his service to the university but the dude is long in the tooth and it is time to retire. We are a ****show. James has to be fired between football and bball. There will be about 1K in attendance at the next home game.

L has assembled a roster that might make some noise at George Mason. This is Perry Clark/Frank Haith level bad. Completely inexcusable in this era of (essentially) free agency in cbb. Lykes, DJ and Kam would get burn as backups on quality high major programs. Nobody else on our roster would be getting meaningful minutes. Certainly nobody would be starting.

So my weekend in a nutshell here: Get torched by UF by 20, lose to FIU (handily) on sight of Orange Bowl, The Heat get torched by Philly, and now this hoops team will lose another game by 15+ to UConn? I think it’s time for me to hang up the fan hood until baseball season rolls around

Advertisement
Advertisement
Rodney is already getting destoryed.

Coach, don’t make any changes. This is the best lineup!
Rodney Miller sucks *** and I have no idea why there were clowns on this board continually insisting that he'll turn the corner at some point. He is bad basketball player.

Advertisement
Rodney Miller sucks *** and I have no idea why there were clowns on this board continually insisting that he'll turn the corner at some point. He is bad basketball player.

Who cares about the porsters on this board? Why is Coach so stubborn and keeping him in the game?

Is he intentionally trying to lose?

I share all the dismay about Coach L’s roster management, and the current lineup and results. While favoring the likely retention of Earl Timberlake’s commit (only) if Coach L remains, I find plenty to fault with this staff’s operative basketball strategy at numerous times.

But giving it some more sober thought, it’s all about the TALENT and acquisition and retention of it. No doubt a coach like L has a reputation for integrity and commitment (to a recruit or transfer) of high marks. He surely has to promise playing time under certain conditions, to acquire and keep certain players, as motley as they may sometimes play compared to one-and-done’s, but the best Miami can get without bags.

I would think he tells (and has been promising all along) the senior players like Lykes, DJ, Sam, Miller – that – unless some young whippersnappers emerge and play like Lonnie, they will get their “due” reward of major PT. Hence Miller redshirts and shapes up, best he can, in trust. And Lykes and others stay out of the portal. No doubt Coach L and staff, as well as the younger or newer players, can sense who is ready and who is a future ready. Sure, it would be nice, especially for enthusiasm and energy perhaps, to play the freshmen more, so that they will ripen into experienced players that might bring us ACC success. But right this second I trust that the experienced seniors are at least equal or better “in general” than any of these youngsters, so can appreciate the problem Coach L has, and grant him some slack for what he’s been putting on the court.

I can’t stress this enough. The offensive philosophy and strategy of this team/staff is mind blowing. The offense being run looks like a EYBL team that only gets to play together once a month. These guys play together every single day and this is the **** we see. It’s f’ing coach. Point blank

Advertisement
Back