G.O.A.T. True Freshman QBs

Advertisement
I love how everyone knows that Perry is better than Tosier and Sheriffs immediately. It's almost like those two had to face one of the best defenses in the country in the Spring and Perry has been without a defense coming at him.

Basically we're ****ed if we have to start a true FR QB

Yep, history is not exactly on our side. I think that the odds of perry having some more success was largely affected by him not being here in the spring. That really put him behind the eight ball

Basically we're ****ed if we have to start a true FR QB

Yep, history is not exactly on our side. I think that the odds of perry having some more success was largely affected by him not being here in the spring. That really put him behind the eight ball

There is no doubt that he would stand a much greater chance of success had he early enrolled. It would be a monumental achievement for him to be successful this year as a starter, and by successful I mean winning 10 games out of the 12 game regular-season.

It's definitely a tough task for a true Freshman.

Kaaya was up for it. But if our other recent highly rated QB's, Olsen or Allison, had played right away - it would've been a trainwreck.

Kaaya played 38 career games:
First 6 games - Threw 2 INT's in 4 of the 6 games, with 9 INT's total
Next 32 games - Threw 2 INT's in 1 of the 32 games, with 15 INT's total

Even if Perry is extremely talented, wins the starting job, and has a great year - it's probably going to take the first half of the season for him to adjust to the speed, pressure, reading defenses, etc.

Advertisement
Also, the original article is from 2015. Jalen Hurts could now be considered the best true freshman QB.

Having a dominant defense like we do this year will go a long ways in helping our QB win games.

If Perry does win the job my concern is he's rail thin. Hurts, Holloway and other's at least have some thickness and strength to them but that's not the case with Perry. The l-ville qb is pretty thin to but he's fast as ****. If Perry is tougher than his stature indicates then he may be able to hold up. If not then this is a year where Miami get's things ready for a run next year and that would depend on if Norton and McIntosh come back.

It's definitely a tough task for a true Freshman.

Kaaya was up for it. But if our other recent highly rated QB's, Olsen or Allison, had played right away - it would've been a trainwreck.

Kaaya played 38 career games:
First 6 games - Threw 2 INT's in 4 of the 6 games, with 9 INT's total
Next 32 games - Threw 2 INT's in 1 of the 32 games, with 15 INT's total

Even if Perry is extremely talented, wins the starting job, and has a great year - it's probably going to take the first half of the season for him to adjust to the speed, pressure, reading defenses, etc.

I totally agree. If Perry starts out the gate there will be a lot more rookie mistakes. I think our best bet might be Sherrifff for the first part of the season and hopefully if Perry is the real deal he takes over towards the end of the season. I think as long as we aren't relying on the QB to win us every game we will have a good to great season. The schedule is weak enough for us to make it to the ACC championship.

How would you figure a true freshman kaaya would fare with this years team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He'd get himself sacked 30 times, and half the fans would blame the OL.

Advertisement
If Perry does win the job my concern is he's rail thin. Hurts, Holloway and other's at least have some thickness and strength to them but that's not the case with Perry. The l-ville qb is pretty thin to but he's fast as ****. If Perry is tougher than his stature indicates then he may be able to hold up. If not then this is a year where Miami get's things ready for a run next year and that would depend on if Norton and McIntosh come back.

I agree, he is thin and I'd like to see him put on weight. However, he is a very athletic, muscular kid. Ken Dorsey was thin until he left here, and he never got broken.

I'd like to see someone else start, then if they fail, and Perry is ready, give him a shot. If Perry comes in and blows everyone's doors off, go for it and start him right out of the gate. I don't know if that's possible, because he isn't going up against Jake Heaps like Kaaya did. Shirreffs and Rosier both are better than Heaps. Allison would have beaten out Heaps.

What UM needs to win the Coastal this year is a game manager, much like Dorsey was a game manager. Someone that knows when and where to throw the ball, and when and where NOT to throw the ball. It sounds simple, but in a pro style system a true freshman will need time to get up to speed.

My money would be on Shirreffs starting, and the board imploding with every incomplete pass.

There have been some great posts on this topic in the last few months, and I'm torn. Some correctly point out the lack of historical success from pretty much any true FR QB, and that's pretty undeniable. I think D$ has made a great point in noticing that the experience bar is getting lower every year, too, though. These days, if kids have it, they go from day 1.... at pretty much every position. It should follow that playing QB so early isn't the death sentence it used to be when 95% of the kids on the defensive side of the ball were seniors & juniors... now they're likely to be playing their peers just a few months out of high school. I suspect Kosi wins it and has some disaster games, but I'm also not gonna think that it means our ceiling is 8 wins. I think we'll get 10, even with his stinkers. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, you'd think the last 2 decades of being a Miami fan would have beaten that **** out of me by now.

Offensive line better be very much improved if any QB is going to succeed here. If they play like they did last year or worse, we'll be lucky to win 8 games. I'm not trusting any QB on the roster right now to win games for us, so we're going to need more consistent run blocking and better pass protection to cover any deficiencies at QB.

Journeymen QBs and game managers are only successful if the rest of the team picks up the slack. If anybody thinks Ken Dorsey would have been great without that offensive line, they're on crack. He got sacked like three times in three years.

New day in age
In the past few years
Kaaya, Watson, hurts,Rosen and quite a few other qbs had successful years as freshman. Especially Watson or hurtz winning over 10 games.
From last year alone jason Bentley played very well for South Carolina last year, shea Patterson, Daniel jones(duke). And others. Neither of these qbs will have played with a defense as talented as ours.

More over if you put kaaya with the same 2014 roster we had that year with these coaches(defensive scheme+ kool+ db coaching.) they easily win over 10 games that year. That whole secondary that played that year is in the NFL outside of Antonio Crawford. That great oline we had, walford , Dorset, duke and others

Last edited:
Advertisement
New day in age
In the past few years
Kaaya, Watson, hurts,Rosen and quite a few other qbs had successful years as freshman. Especially Watson or hurtz winning over 10 games.
From last year alone jason Bentley played very well for South Carolina last year, shea Patterson, Daniel jones(duke). And others. Neither of these qbs will have played with a defense as talented as ours

Watson won over 10 games as a true freshmans? I didn't know that.

You mention Bentley, Patterson, and Jones from last year. What are the records of South Carolina, Old **** and Duke from last year?

Some of the guys you mentioned did play OK at times as true freshmans. Problem is that none of them refutes the historically overwhelming data that teams led by summer enrollee true freshmans QBs don't win anything.

New day in age
In the past few years
From last year alone jason Bentley played very well for South Carolina last year, shea Patterson, Daniel jones(duke). And others. Neither of these qbs will have played with a defense as talented as ours

You mention Bentley, Patterson, and Jones from last year. What are the records of South Carolina, Old **** and Duke from last year?

Some of the guys you mentioned did play OK at times as true freshmans. Problem is that none of them refutes the historically overwhelming data that teams led by summer enrollee true freshmans QBs don't win anything.
They were 10-3 that year
Watson split time with cole stoudt but everyone knew Watson was legit and won most of those games. Fact is Miami is in a much better postion to start a freshman compared to those other schools.
-Have a top 3 front 7 in the country
-Underrated overall db group by fans but we have seen far worse... when you look at the depth it's pretty good
- best returning running back in the acc
- best returning receiver in the acc
- best returning tight end in the acc
- Plenty of depth on the oline now( McDermott, darling, gauthier, Donaldson, St. Louis, linder, brown, gaynor, hillery, Herbert and more
- mass exodus of talent in our acc division. A lot of programs lost a lot
- Talented group of coaches
- weak schedule especially to break a true freshman qb in

Advertisement
Many of you are forgetting the great equalizer.....Perry's ability to run. And yes, I'm well aware he's a pass first QB, so spare me with the "he's not a running quarterback" dialogue. I know. HOWEVER, he CAN run, and when you're young, and you're not fully comfortable with your progressions, you have a tendency to run more than standing in the pocket and going through your reads. We're talking about Kaaya as a true freshman...he was a totally one dimensional player. Perry can't be expected to be a better passer than Kaaya was his freshman year, and Kaaya his freshman year looked like a freshman at times. I believe he completed about 54% of his passes. Not great.

But Kosi will be a 2 dimensional player...and while I don't expect him to be a better passer than Kaaya was at the same stage, I do believe he has a chance to be a better player. And give me a better player than Kaaya was, with this defense, and I still think 10 wins is attainable.

New day in age
In the past few years

They were 10-3 that year
Watson split time with cole stoudt but everyone knew Watson was legit and won most of those games. Fact is Miami is in a much better postion to start a freshman compared to those other schools.
-Have a top 3 front 7 in the country
-Underrated overall db group by fans but we have seen far worse... when you look at the depth it's pretty good
- best returning running back in the acc
- best returning receiver in the acc
- best returning tight end in the acc
- Plenty of depth on the oline now( McDermott, darling, gauthier, Donaldson, St. Louis, linder, brown, gaynor, hillery, Herbert and more
- mass exodus of talent in our acc division. A lot of programs lost a lot
- Talented group of coaches
- weak schedule especially to break a true freshman qb in

Watson only played in 8 games as a freshman and didn't even start all 8. He was injured quite a bit as a freshman. So I'm struggling to see how he was responsible "for most" of Clemson's 10 wins. He wasn't a summer enrollee either.

Many of you are forgetting the great equalizer.....Perry's ability to run. And yes, I'm well aware he's a pass first QB, so spare me with the "he's not a running quarterback" dialogue. I know. HOWEVER, he CAN run, and when you're young, and you're not fully comfortable with your progressions, you have a tendency to run more than standing in the pocket and going through your reads. We're talking about Kaaya as a true freshman...he was a totally one dimensional player. Perry can't be expected to be a better passer than Kaaya was his freshman year, and Kaaya his freshman year looked like a freshman at times. I believe he completed about 54% of his passes. Not great.

But Kosi will be a 2 dimensional player...and while I don't expect him to be a better passer than Kaaya was at the same stage, I do believe he has a chance to be a better player. And give me a better player than Kaaya was, with this defense, and I still think 10 wins is attainable.

I think he had 90 yards rushing on 46 carries as a HS senior, so I wouldn't expect all that much from Perry as a runner.

Your Watson Clemson comparison is null and void, Broke.

He only started 5 out of the 13 games.

He took significantly less than half the snaps.

He was an early enrollee.

Tighten up that research, Broke.

Advertisement
Back