FSU vs Bama 2017 Week 1?

I'm in the Midwest.

I talk to kids ALL the time about where they want to go to school.

The answers I get are always a few specifics schools and then, "anyplace in the SEC".

I'm telling you what I hear from recruits ... they've bought the story that the SEC is the pinnacle for college football.

Playing for UK or Vandy are better options than going to any of the bottom teams in any other conference. It's not about "bagmen", though they do exist ... it's about the prestige of that conference.

Not sure if you're local to Miami? If so, maybe those kids don't feel the same as many of the Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky kids I speak with about their college future.

ETA: Coaches of mid to low level programs ABSOLUTELY sell their affiliation to the SEC. And, right now, Miami is a mid-level ACC program. So, we need the conference to be highly thought of.

Recruits are not picking programs to play for based on the conference.

There is no such thing as Conference recruiting... It's every program for itself.

The reason why the SEC gets a lot top recruits is because they pay for top level recruits & the majority of the best players in the country are in the South.

The argument you guys are making applies more to strength of schedule & potential committee rankings...

Recruits do not see the ACC as a weak conference, they don't even care about that, it's about individual programs.

Bama winning National titles has NOT helped any other program than Bama when it comes to recruiting.

Again, this one is very easy fellas... For recruiting, Clemson & FSU winning Natty's does NOT help us.

You all are extrapolating the transitive property argument for Strength of schedule into recruiting & they have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

If FSU beats Bama in 2017, that helps FSU on the recruiting trail.
If we beat FSU that helps us on the recruiting trail & helps us in rankings...
If we lose to FSU (for 8 in a row) after FSU has beat Bama earlier in the year, take a wild guess who that helps?? Exactly...

There isn't a 4/5-star recruit in the country that will be impressed with Miami because FSU beat Bama Lol...
They will be impressed if WE win.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You guys are on drugs if you want them beating Bama. I don't mind Clemson winning the national title game because we don't go head-to-head for them on many recruits. We go head-to-head with FSU quite often and a opening win against Bama on the national stage gives them a big boost in momentum.

Having said that, Fisher's a coach that has coasted off talent alone. He doesn't run into many programs that out talent him like Bama will next year. On top of that, Saban gets 7 months to prep for FSU. I'll take Bama in a blow out.

I hope F$U losses every game. We can make up our strength of schedule elsewhere. I get strength from their misery

Where would you make it up at and what teams will help?

What do we need a strong schedule for? We need to win the **** ACC. FSU losing as many games as possible is positive for us. Playoffs ain't happening next year

No one said we don't need to win our conference! How does FSU losing all their games a positive for us playing in another division?

So we don't have to play them twice. Don't want them making the title game. Any type of loss helps that

Bama fan on that day big time and for many of the reasons stated prior. Recruiting would explode even more for FSU with a win over a team like Bama. I get that everyone hates UF and dislikes FSU but right now FSU is the top in the state and this would just continue to keep them rolling. Yes, we need to beat them on our own but not sure how them beating bama ever benefits our program regardless of the national attention it would garner from the media or to the ACC. Newsflash the national media and ACC still hate Miami and will continue to do so regardless of the week 1 result. A FSU win in no way what-so-ever benefits Miami. Winning our **** games and getting to the ACC title game is the only thing.

People keep using the out talent excuse for fisher being overrated but the guy just had yet another season with at least ten wins starting a redshirt freshman at qb.

If it's so easy to out talent other teams in a fertile recruiting area and win then why have so many um coaches failed here? Why did zook and muschamp fail so badly or McEltooth underachieving relative to what he has? How about the end of the Bowden years until jimbo took over or countless sec schools in fertile areas of talent? USC in the 90s?

The guy is a great coach. Period. Though it's never dumb to bet on Saban. ;)

Advertisement
People keep using the out talent excuse for fisher being overrated but the guy just had yet another season with at least ten wins starting a redshirt freshman at qb.

If it's so easy to out talent other teams in a fertile recruiting area and win then why have so many um coaches failed here? Why did zook and muschamp fail so badly or McEltooth underachieving relative to what he has? How about the end of the Bowden years until jimbo took over or countless sec schools in fertile areas of talent? USC in the 90s?

Fisher had this guy named Dalvin Cook who's by far the best RB in the nation and is probably going to be a top 5 NFL pick.

And as far as previous coaches failing here. Randy didn't know how to manage a program and Golden was too stubborn to adjust from his archaic philosophy.

But yeah, it makes so much sense to cheer for our arch rival to beat the number 1 team in the nation. That won't hurt Miami at all in recruiting.

It's not like if Miami were to somehow go 10-2 or 11-1 that we'd essentially have our big boost in recruiting. Some of ya'll.....

Fisher had this guy named Dalvin Cook who's by far the best RB in the nation and is probably going to be a top 5 NFL pick.

And as far as previous coaches failing here. Randy didn't know how to manage a program and Golden was too stubborn to adjust from his archaic philosophy.

But yeah, it makes so much sense to cheer for our arch rival to beat the number 1 team in the nation. That won't hurt Miami at all in recruiting.

It's not like if Miami were to somehow go 10-2 or 11-1 that we'd essentially have our big boost in recruiting. Some of ya'll.....

Pointing out he's a great coach has nothing to do with pulling for them. I hate both teams so no slant in my views.

It's ignorant to continue to use cook as the main reason for success just like it was when Jameis was at fsu. Fisher was still winning at fsu before those guys and he had to turn around a cesspool from Bowden staying too long.

And you basically reinforced my point about fisher being a great coach by describing coaching flaws in Shannon, etc. that's the point: if it's so easy to win at fsu or at a dozen other talent rich areas (of which I provided examples) then why didn't all those examples succeed?

Advertisement
Back