FSU Matchups to worry about

Mr. Dynasty1

Junior
Tamorrion Terry vs. Any of our Cb's. Kid can fly, Mike Jack did a good job last year but none of current guys are on that level. Ivey is too slow and Bandy is too small. Blades may be the best option to cover him. Still wouldn't be shocked if he has a big game. 6'4 203 with wheels. Has a TD in every game this season minus Syracuse but still had 84 yards rec.

Marvin Wilson vs. Any of our O-lineman. Wilson is a problem. Eats up space. Gets great push and can be dominant when he wants to. He has 5 sacks also. We know our O-Line loves sharing.

Cam Akers vs. Our front 7. We bottled Cam up last year but the D-Line last year was better than this one. Cam breaks tackles with no problem and we all saw the GT game and the tackles we missed. Though we did better against Pitt. They use him in all different way. Yes, he's no Dalvin Cook but he can still make you pay. Almost at 1K yards this season

Advertisement
Hoping to see Blades (not Ivey) on Terry. McKitty is nice.. They don't utilize him enough. I could see him going off.. obviously Akers is the key. Expect to see him run the wildcat. We struggle with it & he does it well.

Yeah thats why I didn't include McKitty. Simply because of utilization. I think Frierson and Finley could do well against him but not the LBs

Advertisement
The gameplan should be stop the run (Cam) and make Hornibrook beat us (not again but you know).

On offense, we need to spread them out and make them play us in space. Usage of the TEs (vertical routes) would be nice for a change.

Agree. Hornibrook won't have the Wisconsin O-line to protect him this time.

We have to withstand the first quarter because FSU is going for the knockout punch Mike Tyson style early in this game. That is their MO all season. Try to knock the opponent out early, get there crowd involved, and pray they can hang on. If we are still in it by the 4th quarter, this game is ours. FSU cannot win a late game to save their lives. They crumble in the 4th. (Boise State, Wake Forest, UVA were all lost in the 4th)

So to answer the question, I think "FSU Intangibles vs. UM poise" will be a huge factor in this game. What I like about our guys is that they don't fold under pressure. They have been down big before and have come back so it won't faze them if we are down 14-0 at the end of the first quarter and Doak is going nuts and Taggert is leading a dance off on their sidelines.

Akers is the engine to the whole thing. If you can slow him down and keep FSU behind the sticks, they're going to struggle.

The offense has been a lot better under Briles (shocker, good coaches improve things), but it's still been rather pedestrian overall. They're 71st in the country in YPP, 93rd in the country in yards per attempt rushing, and 55th in the country in yards per attempt passing.

I think they've finally realized that Blackman sucks balls, so expect to see Hornibrook again. Hornibrook has completed a higher percentage of his passes (68% vs 64%) a much higher YPA (8.7 vs 6.9) and a higher rating (159 vs 136). He's also only thrown 1 INT vs 5 for Blackman.

Other than Terry (who is excellent), their other WRs really don't scare anyone. They've got talent, but none of the other kids are true gamebreakers. Plus Helton (#2 WR) and Wilson (#4 WR) are both out. Terry, DJ Matthews, and Harrison is basically all they've got. They throw it a lot to McTitties and Nabors, the TEs, and Akers will be targeted as well. If Miami tackles well, especially on Akers, they'll be fine on defense. A lot of FSU's offense is predicated on Akers breaking tackles for big plays, and deep shots to Terry, which are very limited with Hornibrook in. He's very accurate, but he's got less than half the arm strength of Blackman.

They've averaged 35 points at home. If they get that number, Miami can't win. I think the magic number is 24....if Miami can hold them to 24 or less, they can win and it should be a game well into the 4th quarter. Let them get into the 30s, and this offense can't keep up, even with how average FSU is defensively.

We have to withstand the first quarter because FSU is going for the knockout punch Mike Tyson style early in this game. That is their MO all season. Try to knock the opponent out early, get there crowd involved, and pray they can hang on. If we are still in it by the 4th quarter, this game is ours. FSU cannot win a late game to save their lives. They crumble in the 4th. (Boise State, Wake Forest, UVA were all lost in the 4th)

So to answer the question, I think "FSU Intangibles vs. UM poise" will be a huge factor in this game. What I like about our guys is that they don't fold under pressure. They have been down big before and have come back so it won't faze them if we are down 14-0 at the end of the first quarter and Doak is going nuts and Taggert is leading a dance off on their sidelines.

When do you think Miami's games were lost?

Advertisement
Advertisement

this is exactly what we have done also.

Akers is the engine to the whole thing. If you can slow him down and keep FSU behind the sticks, they're going to struggle.

The offense has been a lot better under Briles (shocker, good coaches improve things), but it's still been rather pedestrian overall. They're 71st in the country in YPP, 93rd in the country in yards per attempt rushing, and 55th in the country in yards per attempt passing.

I think they've finally realized that Blackman sucks balls, so expect to see Hornibrook again. Hornibrook has completed a higher percentage of his passes (68% vs 64%) a much higher YPA (8.7 vs 6.9) and a higher rating (159 vs 136). He's also only thrown 1 INT vs 5 for Blackman.

Other than Terry (who is excellent), their other WRs really don't scare anyone. They've got talent, but none of the other kids are true gamebreakers. Plus Helton (#2 WR) and Wilson (#4 WR) are both out. Terry, DJ Matthews, and Harrison is basically all they've got. They throw it a lot to McTitties and Nabors, the TEs, and Akers will be targeted as well. If Miami tackles well, especially on Akers, they'll be fine on defense. A lot of FSU's offense is predicated on Akers breaking tackles for big plays, and deep shots to Terry, which are very limited with Hornibrook in. He's very accurate, but he's got less than half the arm strength of Blackman.

They've averaged 35 points at home. If they get that number, Miami can't win. I think the magic number is 24....if Miami can hold them to 24 or less, they can win and it should be a game well into the 4th quarter. Let them get into the 30s, and this offense can't keep up, even with how average FSU is defensively.
1572358658478.png
Thanks!

Advertisement
Interested to see how FSU comes out in that first qtr especially after Manny's beer gate.

Hoping to see Blades (not Ivey) on Terry. McKitty is nice.. They don't utilize him enough. I could see him going off.. obviously Akers is the key. Expect to see him run the wildcat. We struggle with it & he does it well.
I think Blades can lock up Terry.

More worried about their slot guys. They will gash us.

If there's a dance off, we are winning big time. No one dances like the 2019 Miami Hurricanes.

FSU is going to try to attack Miami Defense in all levels and try to get Cam out in space vs our slow LBS. .... I hope we don't become blitz too happy as well BECAUSE WE LEAVE HOLES OPEN in Briles offense. I actually think we could go with a lot of cover base 2 and 3 with our dline attacking their offense line. Keep everything in front of them! Baker and Manny will have to work together and get these bois ready mannn. Enos is going to be Enos. -If he can somehow give us at least 21 points with decent special teams play -WE WILL WIN THE GAME!

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Back