FSU LIVE BOT Meeting - Livestream link

I knew Swofford did an incompetent job with the media rights agreement, but they extended the grant of rights to 2036 while simultaneously giving ESPN a 2027 opt out?! It probably didn’t seem likely in 2016, but given the current deteriorating media rights landscape….

Advertisement
Greenberg Traurig has done an excellent job in preparing a very compelling case against the ACC to challenge the fundamental legitimacy of the GOR and it's SEVERE WITHDRAWAL PENALTY. "If found to be unenforceable it is not something that would be reduced to a lesser amount ... it would be eliminated ... zero" (comment from David Ashberg attorney for Greenberg Traurig). Miami needs to join the action.
We don’t even need to join. We can just watch them pay for it and do it and if they’re successful, I would think we can walk out too.

Just because we don't hear anything coming from Miami doesn't mean we aren't involved or looking at all options as well.

FSU is just the loudest one in the room at the moment.

If they want to take the lead on this that's fine, but they'll want allies in this from other schools especially if it can help dissolve the conference.
People missed this last night from Brett mcMurphy:

IMG_6505.jpeg

IMG_6504.png

Advertisement
Greenberg Traurig has done an excellent job in preparing a very compelling case against the ACC to challenge the fundamental legitimacy of the GOR and it's SEVERE WITHDRAWAL PENALTY. "If found to be unenforceable it is not something that would be reduced to a lesser amount ... it would be eliminated ... zero" (comment from David Ashberg attorney for Greenberg Traurig). Miami needs to join the action.
That law firm ain’t taking an L.
It’s massive, powerful, (pause) and as well connected as any in the nation.

Advertisement

As a professor once told me, if your strongest argument is public policy, you don't have an argument.

The other arguments, are obviously stronger. Penalty issues could make contracts voidable, but there is a lot more to it. The antitrust stuff scares college football people. We already know courts don't like college football model, and college football does not want the courts getting involved anymore than they already are.

I'm guessing, with the mention of Maryland's exit from the ACC, FSU is doing everything possible.to negotiate a much lower buyout here. It would not surprise me if they've been making phone calls to other schools to join and exert greater pressure on the ACC. I don't know what Miami's been working in or what their plan has been, but I would heavily consider making some noise moving forward if I were looking to leave...

The attorney for Greenberg Traurig mentioned some "unilateral actions" that were taken by the ACC related to the GOR that were taken without the required 2/3 member approval. The litany of grounds for non performance against the ACC are pretty damning:

Challenging the legitimacy of the GOR and the severe withdrawal penalty.

1. Restraint of trade
2. Unenforceable Penalties. Penalty to leave the conference with media rights bears no
relationship to the damages incurred:

.Penalty to leave in 2010. None.
.Penalty to leave in 2011. $10 million
.Penalty to leave in 2012. $40 million
.Penalty to leave in 2013. $220 million
.Penalty to leave in 2023. $570 million

3. Breech of contract
4. Breech of fiduciary duty
5. Violation of public policy

Lot of details under each category that put the ACC HQ in a very bad light.

This seemed like the only play. It’s been discussed before:

Let the current contract run its course and thus focus on challenging the “GOR” extension that starts in 2026.

So if it all works out, FSU, Miami, Clemson, etc finishes out ACC play in 2024-26/27 and then 27/28 hopefully be in the Big 10.

Advertisement
As a professor once told me, if your strongest argument is public policy, you don't have an argument.

The other arguments, are obviously stronger. Penalty issues could make contracts voidable, but there is a lot more to it. The antitrust stuff scares college football people. We already know courts don't like college football model, and college football does not want the courts getting involved anymore than they already are.

I'm guessing, with the mention of Maryland's exit from the ACC, FSU is doing everything possible.to negotiate a much lower buyout here. It would not surprise me if they've been making phone calls to other schools to join and exert greater pressure on the ACC. I don't know what Miami's been working in or what their plan has been, but I would heavily consider making some noise moving forward if I were looking to leave...
If its me, I wait to see what happens here...then make a decision. Don't join until you know you have a clear and inexpensive exit strategy.

Advertisement
Them boys better be able to get out, our they are digging themselves a deep and steep hole.

They can forget about getting any calls, and can kiss the playoffs goodbye. SEC is basically owned by ESPN, so they won’t want them.

And you want to **** off Micky Mouse? 😂

Last edited:
If its me, I wait to see what happens here...then make a decision. Don't join until you know you have a clear and inexpensive exit strategy.
I wouldn't necessarily join, but I would definitely begin making noise.

I would also be very shocked if Miami hasn't already analyzed the cost of any potential moves.

We don’t even need to join. We can just watch them pay for it and do it and if they’re successful, I would think we can walk out too.
Yes , once the door opens it will swing wide.... Just like NIL... All it took was a little shove and then the stage rush followed....
bring me the horizon concert GIF
Moshpit Wall Of Death GIF by Killswitch Engage

Advertisement
Back