From the Stadium: Review of The QB's

RedSquare

Freshman
Talked to a friend who was at the spring game, and who late last night caught up with one of the coaches to get his take. Good stuff he had to share.

Some of this comes from my observations, and some from his.

1. First, let's tap the brakes on anointing anyone the next Dan Marino based on a spring game. Having played in a couple of these myself, I can tell you that it means pretty much nada in the grand scheme of things. If the spring game was the deciding factor in who's the best QB on your roster, then bill turkowski would have started for the 1987 national championship team instead of steve walsh. The reality is, the decision on who is the QB1 for this team (when King leaves), isn't going to be decided until August of 2022, so sit back and watch, and enjoy the ride.

2. Garcia has definitely been the beneficiary of the "california QB school." you see it in his mechanics, especially his footwork. he's been well taught and physically, it makes him college ready.

3. Garcia's stats were great, BUT .... at least a half dozen of those throws were on the same group of routes where guys were "high school open." so take those with a mega large grain of salt. Garcia was sacked 4 times, and it should have been 5. He's relying upon instinct and arm, instead of processing the offense. that gets you "lofty stats in a spring game when a lot of the defense you're playing against won't make the travel squad in the fall, but it also gets you picked twice in the first half against alabama." still, he showed good pocket awareness on multiple plays.

4. TVD only played the first half, and that was by design. he's been ahead of garcia for the spring, and there's some pretty good reasons why. putting aside the stats, here's the big one that has the coaches privately declaring TVD "won" the scrimmage and had his best performance of the spring: of his 20 throws, 19 went to the right guy. That's a Walsh/Dorsey type stat, and it's impressive for a guy who is still a freshman. Again, take it in context, as everything was dumbed down for the scrimmage, both offensively and defensively, but it confirms what they've been seeing and saying all spring: TVD has the mental "it" factor.

5. One reason the other players gravitate to TVD, even though he's not a "rah-rah kind of kid." in a meeting, the coaches show him something. he gets it immediately. so much so, he can actually help the other guys who don't pick things up as fast, and that includes things like O-line protections, and WR coverage reads. "You teach him something, and he'll understand everyone's job, not just his. that's the kind of stuff that gets guys 10 year NFL careers when you have the big arm to go with it like he does."

6. The coaches are not going to go anywhere near naming QB2 until the end of fall practice. they're not that stupid. and don't be surprised if we see the "or" designation on the depth chart for most of the season. they love how both kids are really engaged and preparing as though they are starters. they want to keep that up and keep the developmental pressure on both guys. that being said, TVD would be the first guy off the bench to get reps for DKing if the season started tomorrow.

7. TVD owned the two best throws of the day, and one was an incompletion. The TD to Restrepo was an NFL throw and catch. The other, was the opening play incomplete deep ball to Rambo where Tyrique was called for PI. according to the coaches, that ball "pretty much landed on the blade of grass where he was aiming. impressive toss." The throw wiggins dropped that would have been a 70+ yard TD was a great throw by TVD too.

8. Garcia's throw to Pope that was dropped was a money throw. Again, his best of the day and it was an incompletion.

9. If both these guys keep going like they are, then the decision on who starts is going to be "the toughest call since howard had to choose between Vinny and Kosar in 1983." This QB room (King/TVD/Garcia/Matocha) is the best we've had since Kelly/Kosar/Testaverde because not only are the guys talented, the attitude is outstanding. No one is saying there's going to be a heisman winner, a NC, a hall of famer, and three guys with long NFL careers, but "when you compare where we were at the end of spring two years ago (manny's first), to where we are now, it's light years difference. Howell (at UNC) may be the best QB in the ACC next year, but we have as good a QB room as anyone, and that includes UNC and Clemson."

Can't wait for fall practice. Stay healthy!

Advertisement
Matcha Tea is definitely light years behind the others. Decision making was poor and arm certainly not starter quality.

He’s right about a lot of that. Especially him being sacked. But the anticipation, sliding and climbing the pocket , deep ball accuracy and moxy are there. TVD edged him out as a whole but people will anoint him because of the spring game. Even though TVD looked the same in the last scrimmage , only difference is nobody saw that. Both are really good prospects and the battle is far from over. Good post.

I was thinking the same thing about the "or" on the depth chart this morning with TVD first off the bench for mop up or, god forbid, something happens to King. Garcia might also see some PT if circumstances dictate.

I also believe both TVD and Garcia realize and understand this is King's team this year and the real competition for QB1 between the 2 starts next spring.

Advertisement
6. The coaches are not going to go anywhere near naming QB2 until the end of fall practice. they're not that stupid. and don't be surprised if we see the "or" designation on the depth chart for most of the season. they love how both kids are really engaged and preparing as though they are starters. they want to keep that up and keep the developmental pressure on both guys. that being said, TVD would be the first guy off the bench to get reps for DKing if the season started tomorrow.

I have to believe that unless Garcia is so far ahead of TVD (which indications are TVD is currently slightly ahead) that there is no way the coaches name Garcia QB2. You do that and TVD likely has one foot out the door.* Now if god forbid King gets injured, then you can open things back up and play Garcia if he is the better option, but it it's a lot easier to name TVD QB2 now and let Garcia pass him next year if warranted than the opposite way.

We are actually really lucky that we can be having this conversation now with a year and a half to go instead of them having to decide in Fall a scenario where say TVD is slightly better, but Garcia is right behind him and believed to have more upside. That may be our issue next year.

*Obviously the coaches have a better idea of what is going on in the QB room and with the team overall so they may have a different read, but it sounds like - if this report is true - they are thinking the same and trying to account for it.

Advertisement
Talked to a friend who was at the spring game, and who late last night caught up with one of the coaches to get his take. Good stuff he had to share.

1. First, let's tap the brakes on anointing anyone the next Dan Marino based on a spring game. Having played in a couple of these myself, I can tell you that it means pretty much nada in the grand scheme of things. If the spring game was the deciding factor in who's the best QB on your roster, then bill turkowski would have started for the 1987 national championship team instead of steve walsh. The reality is, the decision on who is the QB1 for this team (when King leaves), isn't going to be decided until August of 2022, so sit back and watch, and enjoy the ride.

2. Garcia has definitely been the beneficiary of the "california QB school." you see it in his mechanics, especially his footwork. he's been well taught and physically, it makes him college ready.

3. Garcia's stats were great, BUT .... at least a half dozen of those throws were on the same group of routes where guys were "high school open." so take those with a mega large grain of salt. Garcia was sacked 4 times, and it should have been 5. He's relying upon instinct and arm, instead of processing the offense. that gets you "lofty stats in a spring game when a lot of the defense you're playing against won't make the travel squad in the fall, but it also gets you picked twice in the first half against alabama." still, he showed good pocket awareness on multiple plays.

4. TVD only played the first half, and that was by design. he's been ahead of garcia for the spring, and there's some pretty good reasons why. putting aside the stats, here's the big one that has the coaches privately declaring TVD "won" the scrimmage and had his best performance of the spring: of his 20 throws, 19 went to the right guy. That's a Walsh/Dorsey type stat, and it's impressive for a guy who is still a freshman. Again, take it in context, as everything was dumbed down for the scrimmage, both offensively and defensively, but it confirms what they've been seeing and saying all spring: TVD has the mental "it" factor.

5. One reason the other players gravitate to TVD, even though he's not a "rah-rah kind of kid." in a meeting, the coaches show him something. he gets it immediately. so much so, he can actually help the other guys who don't pick things up as fast, and that includes things like O-line protections, and WR coverage reads. "You teach him something, and he'll understand everyone's job, not just his. that's the kind of stuff that gets guys 10 year NFL careers when you have the big arm to go with it like he does."

7. TVD owned the two best throws of the day, and one was an incompletion. The TD to Restrepo was an NFL throw and catch. The other, was the opening play incomplete deep ball to Rambo where Tyrique was called for PI. according to the coaches, that ball "pretty much landed on the blade of grass where he was aiming. impressive toss." The throw wiggins dropped that would have been a 70+ yard TD was a great throw by TVD too.

8. Garcia's throw to Pope that was dropped was a money throw. Again, his best of the day and it was an incompletion.

9. If both these guys keep going like they are, then the decision on who starts is going to be "the toughest call since howard had to choose between Vinny and Kosar in 1983." This QB room (King/TVD/Garcia/Matocha) is the best we've had since Kelly/Kosar/Testaverde because not only are the guys talented, the attitude is outstanding. No one is saying there's going to be a heisman winner, a NC, a hall of famer, and three guys with long NFL careers, but "when you compare where we were at the end of spring two years ago (manny's first), to where we are now, it's light years difference. Howell (at UNC) may be the best QB in the ACC next year, but we have as good a QB room as anyone, and that includes UNC and Clemson."

This through and through and I mentioned they had cut TVD’s snaps early. He can make all the throws. You are **** right the competition between the two should not end until August of 2022. Jake was impressive of course and he’s been making splashes but people have to remember... it was a spring game with vanilla coverages and QBs could not be hit. Anointing either of them as QB of the future right now is way too premature.

A couple throws by TVD to the long side of the field were very impressive and stuck out to me

He was getting pressure and still made the though throw to get 4-6 yards vs. throwing it in the dirt or succumbing to pressure

Big time stuff

Advertisement

Saw it a lot of the same ways I did. I said something about after reviewing it I might even give the day to TVD. Lashlee was clearly annoyed with Garcia a few times for holding it too long.

Whew, the confidence that kid plays with is Baker Mayfield-esque (Danny sent me this comp, so hat tip to him).

Saw it a lot of the same ways I did. I said something about after reviewing it I might even give the day to TVD. Lashlee was clearly annoyed with Garcia a few times for holding it too long.

Whew, the confidence that kid plays with is Baker Mayfield-esque (Danny sent me this comp, so hat tip to him).
I thought the battle was a lot closer than fans made it. Garcia holds on to the ball longer and throws into dangerous situations. Could’ve had a couple pics. If sacks were called the stats would’ve been tighter. If anything TVD won the spring as a whole but Garcia should start week one. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Advertisement
I thought the battle was a lot closer than fans made it. Har is holds on to the ball longer and throws into dangerous situations. Could’ve had a couple pics. If sacks were called the stats would’ve been tighter. If anything TVD win the spring as a whole but Garcia should start week one. 🤷‍♀️
On the rewatch I caught 3 plays in the 1st Quarter alone where Jake would’ve either been sacked or lit up.

On the rewatch I caught 3 plays in the 1st Quarter alone where Jake would’ve either been sacked or lit up.
Yep. He could’ve had six sacks easily and been in a coma . Tvd reads the d faster and is more careful with the ball. Garcia pushes it downfield more and throws a more catchable ball. Like I said “ they both have their own strength and weaknesses”

One of the best posts I’ve read about quarterbacking in a good long time from a regular poster. Really appreciated.

Not to denigrate other good posts from others like @DMoney , @Cribby , et al.

There has been so much garbage posted about the quarterbacks. This post was insightful, and really put the quarterback competition into a realistic perspective with solid facts and interpretations.

The rest of you - slow your roll about TFs starting day one vs Alabama. This is how it’s done: with logic and solid analysis.

TVD was more decisive & got the ball out quicker. Garcia was highly impressive for someone fresh to campus, but as stated elsewhere would have been sacked a few times and wasn't consistently as accurate. Bottom line, glad to have both.

Advertisement
Back