From the Stadium: Review of The QB's

I agree that Garcia is probably more ready for game action as a true freshman than VanDyke was but that doesn’t necessarily equal a higher ceiling. Some guys come out of high school close to a finished product. Especially if they’ve gotten a ton of private coaching. A lot of times those guys have already maxed their potential and eventually get passed by guys who might have been a little more raw coming out of high school. Brad Kaaya was playing at a really high level right away for us and while he was a good player, he didn’t really improve dramatically over the years. He was close to a finished product when he first arrived on campus. It’s pretty common with a lot of California quarterback recruits specifically. A lot of them play at prestigious private programs and come from wealthy families who can afford private coaches and special programs. They’ve been so coached up through high school that often times, there’s nowhere else to go once they reach college.

i agree that he has gotten better coaching up to this point in his development which is an advantage. But he still has yet to learn the offense, while TVD already has been in Lashlee's system for a while. That is what i think gives TVD the edge right now.

Advertisement
the cluster though was equally spread out and I would say Garcia faced more adversity (even if self-inflicted) having to relocate across the country and switch to multiple schools.

That’s not relevant.

You were comparing where they were at the same point in their careers, at this time of year, at equivalent point in their careers.

Which makes no sense.

Look I’m not trying to be a dīck, but your comparison is completely false, because they are totally not equivalent.

At this time last year, there were only a very few spring practices and no spring games.

TVD didn’t get the number of practices nor the spring games that Garcia has. He didn’t get anywhere near the coaching at that point in his college career that Garcia has at this point in his college career. So you can’t compare Garcia this year, to Van Dyke last year.

It’s just a totally false comparison. How can you even compare the two?

I don’t know how I can make it any clearer.

I’m not caping for either of these guys, I have no idea who ends up winning the battle, nor do I have a favorite. I’m just of the opinion that you can NOT crown anybody right now

That’s not relevant.

You were comparing where they were at the same point in their careers, at this time of year, at equivalent point in their careers.

Which makes no sense.

Look I’m not trying to be a dīck, but your comparison is completely false, because they are totally not equivalent.

At this time last year, there were only a very few spring practices and no spring games.

TVD didn’t get the number of practices nor the spring games that Garcia has. He didn’t get anywhere near the coaching at that point in his college career that Garcia has at this point in his college career. So you can’t compare Garcia this year, to Van Dyke last year.

I’m not caping for either of these guys, I have no idea who ends up winning the battle, nor do I have a favorite. I’m just of the opinion that you can NOT crown anybody right now
And even though it was HS, Garcia was playing live competition just a few months ago and TVD, except for a few mop up snaps last year, hasn’t faced live bullets for a year and a half.

Whatever the argument, we’ve got 2 quality QB’s to battle it out for QB1 in ‘22 and it’s going to be a helluva lot of fun watching it play out.

That’s not relevant.

Which makes no sense.

I believe you are not trying to be a **** but you do sound like one here. It's fine we can disagree. I still think he is better at this point than TVD as a true freshman. Not saying he's better NOW. I think TVD has the edge right now. Garcia has been more coached up privately and seems more confident in his abilities. He just needs more seasoning in Lashlee's offense. I could be totally wrong though. And that is fine too.

I believe you are not trying to be a **** but you do sound like one here. It's fine we can disagree. I still think he is better at this point than TVD as a true freshman. Not saying he's better NOW. I think TVD has the edge right now. Garcia has been more coached up privately and seems more confident in his abilities. He just needs more seasoning in Lashlee's offense. I could be totally wrong though. And that is fine too.
How do I sound like a ****? I’m just stating straight facts. Or did you just not like to be disagreed with?

Advertisement

So TVD has had less practices and spring games than Garcia even though TVD arrived on campus last Fall? How do you figure? Each had had the same number of practices this year but Garcia is a TF while TVD is in his 2nd year. Obviously TVD has had more and I would argue better quality practices at Miami than Garcia got in high school. I agree on the coaching aspect.

How do I sound like a ****? I’m just stating straight facts. Or did you just not like to be disagreed with?
Let's put it this way ...if you have to preface a remark "I'm not trying to be a ****" that should probably give you somewhat of an idea what is about to follow.

I agree that Garcia is probably more ready for game action as a true freshman than VanDyke was but that doesn’t necessarily equal a higher ceiling. Some guys come out of high school close to a finished product. Especially if they’ve gotten a ton of private coaching. A lot of times those guys have already maxed their potential and eventually get passed by guys who might have been a little more raw coming out of high school. Brad Kaaya was playing at a really high level right away for us and while he was a good player, he didn’t really improve dramatically over the years. He was close to a finished product when he first arrived on campus. It’s pretty common with a lot of California quarterback recruits specifically. A lot of them play at prestigious private programs and come from wealthy families who can afford private coaches and special programs. They’ve been so coached up through high school that often times, there’s nowhere else to go once they reach college.
Agree with most of what you are saying, you make some great points. But also in the case of Kaaya, I wonder how much more he would have improved if he had an OC like Lashlee calling plays.

So TVD has had less practices and spring games than Garcia even though TVD arrived on campus last Fall? How do you figure? Each had had the same number of practices this year but Garcia is a TF while TVD is in his 2nd year. Obviously TVD has had more and I would argue better quality practices at Miami than Garcia got in high school. I agree on the coaching aspect.

This was your original statement and what I was responding to. Stop moving the goalposts. You’re all over the place.

I will say this... I think Garcia is ahead of TVD where they were at the same stage of their college careers. That means to me his ceiling will be higher. TVD is ahead now. Remains to be seen how this unfolds in 2022.

Advertisement
Agree with most of what you are saying, you make some great points. But also in the case of Kaaya, I wonder how much more he would have improved if he had an OC like Lashlee calling plays.
Kaaya wouldn’t have come here if Lashlee was here at the time. He wanted to play in a pro system and that’s how Coley reeled him in. One of the reasons he left early was his disdain for Richt’s RPO system. Which is funny because almost everyone does that sort of thing now. He didn’t want to play in a one read offense and that’s pretty much what most college offenses are now.

So now you are really being a ****?

You’re the one being the ****.

I simply disagreed with you saying that at the same point in their careers, that is, when they were both true freshman, that Garcia was ahead of TVD.

It is objectively impossible to determine, because spring practice was cut off last year, halfway through, with no spring game. So there is no way to know that.

But apparently, you’ve turned this into a digging—in—your—heels donkey—fest on your part.

Any rational person reading this exchange would agree with me. I feel sorry for you - you’ve made a big deal out of nothing, and on a point where based on the facts and timeline, you are objectively wrong, but can’t admit it.

That’s not being a ****, that’s just hard reality. I was just trying to soften the blow, but apparently some people just don’t like being disagreed with.

You’re the one being the ****.

I simply disagreed with you saying that at the same point in their careers, that is, when they were both true freshman, that Garcia was ahead of TVD.

It is objectively impossible to determine, because spring practice was cut off last year, halfway through, with no spring game. So there is no way to know that.

But apparently, you’ve turned this into a digging—in—your—heels donkey—fest on your part.

Any rational person reading this exchange would agree with me. I feel sorry for you - you’ve made a big deal out of nothing, and on a point where based on the facts and timeline, you are objectively wrong, but can’t admit it.

That’s not being a ****, that’s just hard reality. I was just trying to soften the blow, but apparently some people just don’t like being disagreed with.

man, give it a rest. If it's not possible to objectively determine what the f'k are you arguing with me about? It's just an opinion. You disagree and I disagree. You said you stated straight up facts? Lulz… whatever, man. You win. Have a nice day.

Advertisement
man, give it a rest. If it's not possible to objectively determine what the f'k are you arguing with me about? It's just an opinion. You disagree and I disagree. You said you stated straight up facts? Lulz… whatever, man. You win. Have a nice day.

Trust me, I’m not trying to win anything. There’s no prize here

Talked to a friend who was at the spring game, and who late last night caught up with one of the coaches to get his take. Good stuff he had to share.

Some of this comes from my observations, and some from his.

1. First, let's tap the brakes on anointing anyone the next Dan Marino based on a spring game. Having played in a couple of these myself, I can tell you that it means pretty much nada in the grand scheme of things. If the spring game was the deciding factor in who's the best QB on your roster, then bill turkowski would have started for the 1987 national championship team instead of steve walsh. The reality is, the decision on who is the QB1 for this team (when King leaves), isn't going to be decided until August of 2022, so sit back and watch, and enjoy the ride.

2. Garcia has definitely been the beneficiary of the "california QB school." you see it in his mechanics, especially his footwork. he's been well taught and physically, it makes him college ready.

3. Garcia's stats were great, BUT .... at least a half dozen of those throws were on the same group of routes where guys were "high school open." so take those with a mega large grain of salt. Garcia was sacked 4 times, and it should have been 5. He's relying upon instinct and arm, instead of processing the offense. that gets you "lofty stats in a spring game when a lot of the defense you're playing against won't make the travel squad in the fall, but it also gets you picked twice in the first half against alabama." still, he showed good pocket awareness on multiple plays.

4. TVD only played the first half, and that was by design. he's been ahead of garcia for the spring, and there's some pretty good reasons why. putting aside the stats, here's the big one that has the coaches privately declaring TVD "won" the scrimmage and had his best performance of the spring: of his 20 throws, 19 went to the right guy. That's a Walsh/Dorsey type stat, and it's impressive for a guy who is still a freshman. Again, take it in context, as everything was dumbed down for the scrimmage, both offensively and defensively, but it confirms what they've been seeing and saying all spring: TVD has the mental "it" factor.

5. One reason the other players gravitate to TVD, even though he's not a "rah-rah kind of kid." in a meeting, the coaches show him something. he gets it immediately. so much so, he can actually help the other guys who don't pick things up as fast, and that includes things like O-line protections, and WR coverage reads. "You teach him something, and he'll understand everyone's job, not just his. that's the kind of stuff that gets guys 10 year NFL careers when you have the big arm to go with it like he does."

6. The coaches are not going to go anywhere near naming QB2 until the end of fall practice. they're not that stupid. and don't be surprised if we see the "or" designation on the depth chart for most of the season. they love how both kids are really engaged and preparing as though they are starters. they want to keep that up and keep the developmental pressure on both guys. that being said, TVD would be the first guy off the bench to get reps for DKing if the season started tomorrow.

7. TVD owned the two best throws of the day, and one was an incompletion. The TD to Restrepo was an NFL throw and catch. The other, was the opening play incomplete deep ball to Rambo where Tyrique was called for PI. according to the coaches, that ball "pretty much landed on the blade of grass where he was aiming. impressive toss." The throw wiggins dropped that would have been a 70+ yard TD was a great throw by TVD too.

8. Garcia's throw to Pope that was dropped was a money throw. Again, his best of the day and it was an incompletion.

9. If both these guys keep going like they are, then the decision on who starts is going to be "the toughest call since howard had to choose between Vinny and Kosar in 1983." This QB room (King/TVD/Garcia/Matocha) is the best we've had since Kelly/Kosar/Testaverde because not only are the guys talented, the attitude is outstanding. No one is saying there's going to be a heisman winner, a NC, a hall of famer, and three guys with long NFL careers, but "when you compare where we were at the end of spring two years ago (manny's first), to where we are now, it's light years difference. Howell (at UNC) may be the best QB in the ACC next year, but we have as good a QB room as anyone, and that includes UNC and Clemson."

Can't wait for fall practice. Stay healthy!
TVD has been in the system for a year and for that's the reason people are so excited about the potential of Garcia.

Advertisement
Back