From the Stadium: Review of The QB's

He’s right about a lot of that. Especially him being sacked. But the anticipation, sliding and climbing the pocket , deep ball accuracy and moxy are there. TVD edged him out as a whole but people will anoint him because of the spring game. Even though TVD looked the same in the last scrimmage , only difference is nobody saw that. Both are really good prospects and the battle is far from over. Good post.

Yeah, when the camera was close up on TVD's face, I remember thinking "oh, so THAT'S what he looks like".

I have no problem keeping these guys as an "or" all season long. 2A and 2B right there.

Advertisement
One of the best posts I’ve read about quarterbacking in a good long time from a regular poster. Really appreciated.

Not to denigrate other good posts from others like @DMoney , @Cribby , et al.

There has been so much garbage posted about the quarterbacks. This post was insightful, and really put the quarterback competition into a realistic perspective with solid facts and interpretations.

The rest of you - slow your roll about TFs starting day one vs Alabama. This is how it’s done: with logic and solid analysis.

Exactly.

More @RedSquare , less @KrazyCane

I know they're talking about depth, but Testaverde, Kosar, Kelly is . . . . very high praise by comparison, and probably not fair.

Just really hard to not buy into "the more experienced guy get the edge" stereotype with this staff. OP just layed out a detailed, insider power-point with several points as to why TVD has the edge. The eye-test on the other hand...
What eye test are you referring to? The one scrimmage that fans saw where Garcia would have been sacked 6 times?

Advertisement
Garcia provided what the fans love; the "wow" long ball throws. Right from the start he was willing to throw downfield. Doesn't mean that was the right play or that he didn't get a little lucky.

Advertisement
Bottom line is there is more positive than negative for both of them. And there is a lot to be excited about.

But in every level of football we won’t y jack sht until one of them plays meaningful minutes.

Cfb has been littered with 5 star qb’s that are M.I.A right now.
Some one got picked before Manning.
Brady almost went un-drafted.
JaMarcus Russel stole 32million dollars.
Kurt Warner was bagging groceries before he won 2 Super Bowls, league mvp ........

Last edited:
Advertisement
I saw TVD lead three scoring drives out of four (2 TD's 1 FG) in the 1st half against against better competition , Garcia 4 out of 7 throughout the whole game. I love what Garcia brings to the table, but i thought Van Dyke did a great job controlling the clock and running the offense.

He drew the defense off sides like three or four times on crucial down and distance. Me personally ill take the points over stats any day of the week, and if you can prevent sacks and limit turnovers even better. TVD earned my respect Saturday that's for **** sure! Jake Garcia made me feel even better for the future cause he does have a bright one ahead of him.

Advertisement
I will say this... I think Garcia is ahead of TVD where they were at the same stage of their college careers. That means to me his ceiling will be higher. TVD is ahead now. Remains to be seen how this unfolds in 2022.

I will say this... I think Garcia is ahead of TVD where they were at the same stage of their college careers. That means to me his ceiling will be higher. TVD is ahead now. Remains to be seen how this unfolds in 2022.

At this same stage in their careers, it was a Covid clusterfūck, remember spring practice got cut short because of Covid

I agree that Garcia is probably more ready for game action as a true freshman than VanDyke was but that doesn’t necessarily equal a higher ceiling. Some guys come out of high school close to a finished product. Especially if they’ve gotten a ton of private coaching. A lot of times those guys have already maxed their potential and eventually get passed by guys who might have been a little more raw coming out of high school. Brad Kaaya was playing at a really high level right away for us and while he was a good player, he didn’t really improve dramatically over the years. He was close to a finished product when he first arrived on campus. It’s pretty common with a lot of California quarterback recruits specifically. A lot of them play at prestigious private programs and come from wealthy families who can afford private coaches and special programs. They’ve been so coached up through high school that often times, there’s nowhere else to go once they reach college.

At this same stage in their careers, it was a Covid clusterfūck, remember spring practice got cut short because of Covid
the cluster though was equally spread out and I would say Garcia faced more adversity (even if self-inflicted) having to relocate across the country and switch to multiple schools.

Advertisement
Back