From the Perch: Tate Martell

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
This once former 247 composite four star recruit from Bishop Gorman High School was a perfect 45-0 as a high school starter there. Tate Martell is a rare bread of an elusive quick strike, dual threat dynamo that can instantly add excitement to any offense. In a limited capacity this year at OSU, Martell ended up 23-28 for 269 yards passing and an incredible 82.1 completion %.

FTP is going to just get a quick snap shot view from his time at OSU. What will Tate Martell bring to the quarterback room? Does he have the talent to challenge and secure a starting job? First impressions are on deck. The batter in front just went yard. Let's see if we can make this back to back jacks. Batter up.

I instantly gravitated towards this play because mesh concepts are no stranger to new Miami OC Dan Enos. A classic man beating concept that relies on two players essentially running a rub route in the middle of the field. OSU actually runs a nice designed halfback wheel element to this mesh concept and it was used to convert on this fourth down.

Rutgers actually gets a little creative with an exotic hybrid zone blitz/man concept. A blitzing middle linebacker comes while the outside linebacker on the LOS drops into perfect zone coverage on the tight end who was setting the Mesh depth. (one sets the depth, while the other receiver touches his inside shoulder) Martell astutely sees the receiver get naturally "picked" by the tight end and it is a quick strike to his slot receiver for a first down.

One thing you will notice on shorter throws is how invariably quick Martell can be. It is not only with his throwing mechanics but also with his feet. He is very fast twitch in the pocket and I think this can be an overlooked trait at times. He has a very quick shoulder adjustment as he redirects onto his target here. The quicker you can get your receiver the ball, the more room they will have to operate. Not that he needed to be quick after the mesh concept did it's job, but it was definitely Martell's quick strike that caught my eye.

Here is another example of how when Martell wants to get the ball out, he gets the ball out now. You will notice that the Rutgers Linebacker is actually breaking on the quick out route and leaking in that direction as he's reading Martell's shoulders. It doesn't matter. Martell is lightning quick on this release and throws a dart. The receiver essentially has the time to turn up field before that linebacker even lays a hand on him.

I don't mind incorporating highlights in terms of film review sessions. Simply because sometimes highlights still hide things. Before we focus on the end result of the play let's notice the beginning. Empty set five receiver combo. Rutgers does not show blitz so Martell understands he has five offensive lineman to block four. Essentially you have time in the pocket but Empty sets must have a quick pass component in case of the blitz because defenses can overrun you with numbers in a hurry.

I really cannot understand why Martell does not pull the trigger on the stop route. You will see me focus on the video that he is open off his break especially when the receiver's db was sliding into off-man coverage. (This is when you need to talk to your QB and get his perspective) But ultimately what happens after that initial read is sheer athleticism and you will see Martell's quickness pay dividends.

Kid is quick. Able to put a foot in the ground and leave a defender in the dust on this play. That short area burst is evident. I like to simply classify quarterbacks as zone read capable and zone read threats. Hard to argue with Martell's quickness that he isn't a threat to break a long run at any moment. He just did.

Listed at 5'10" Martell would be the shortest scholarship quarterback on the roster. One thing shorter quarterbacks must have is a mastery at finding throwing lanes. Here is an example of Martell doing just that. You will see his first step towards the LOS is to his right. After the initial read isn't there he is quickly resetting and gathering himself towards his left into a natural throwing lane.

Now you will see the arm confidence to make a tight window throw. Not only is the receiver's defender draped on his back when he catches it, you will notice a linebacker underneath with his back turned directly underneath the play. Cue Arron Rodgers who once said, "A defenders back turned is open in my book." This isn't double covered if you think about it. This is a quarterback who has the play directly in front of him and has the upmost confidence that his arm will beat you.

Night at the Improv anyone? A little zone read in which you will see once again Martell's quickness to get outside. If you pay attention to the actual first db that dives and tries to tackle him, you will notice that he actually is whiffing quite badly on this play. And just when you think the play is over? Not so much. By design the receiver is standing on the sideline for a pitch if necessary. Now what is not by design was how Martell's improvisation skills delivered the ball on the pitch out into the flat. That is David Blaine type magic if you ask me.

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1085681890890256385

Rutgers will actually drop back into 8 man coverage and this play and Martell does a pretty good job avoiding an interception here. Rutgers initially will show a press corner in the boundary. Now when Rutgers decides to bail him early in off man coverage that is bait. Martell sees this and his eyes go there but a linebacker on the LOS is actually going to come underneath as a curl flat defender trying to undercut the route.

Martell sees this and now you see the quarterback coaching and his instinct take over in mutual harmony. The voice he has heard from his coach is echoing in his head to "work up in the pocket" He does so and will actually scan across to the opposite side of the field where he sees someone open as result of a busted coverage. (instinct) Now the ball is a tad bit short but let's get the context here.

When the initial read is not there, this is when the QB is working up the pocket and his momentum is taking him up in the pocket. I wouldn't say this is full off platform throw but nor is it in perfect rhythm to balance relationship either. Meaning, I would be more concerned of him leaving someone short on a 3 step drop and go rather than something that his first read was covered and he worked all the way across the opposite side of the field while working the pocket for. Makes sense? (It does in my mind at least)

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1085685777772752896

I think this is rather good on the run personally. The ability to get his hips in line to his target while rolling opposite of his throwing hand is impressive. Now if you want to get a feel by what I mean by "fast twitch." focus on the clip between three and four seconds. Just look how fast Martell can get his hip squared in line with his target. Then look how quick he is after getting into his throwing mechanic.

That is a strike to his receiver directly in the most ideal catch radius. That is bread basket. On the run opposite hand? That looks easy. Martell makes it look easy. But I promise you for the better part of the last two years I have seen some pretty obnoxious roll out mechanics and throws. Very deliberate and errant because the QB's weight was not going in the right direction (away from the LOS) and just overall clunky. Martell just seems natural on the roll.

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1085722323435565056

Last clip of the night. Some anticipation and throwing while the receiver is in his break. I freeze this film for several reasons though. 1) to show you the relationship of the receiver when Martell throws the ball. (anticipation) 2) just look how quick Martell can throw the ball. Notice when he is actually releasing the ball how flat footed EVERY single defender is.

And even though I felt he loaded up a bit and over-strided a tad, this ball is down main street. (again) You can't be perfect mechanically on all throws. It is impossible. Defenses sometimes won't let you. Sometimes as qb you just want to deliver the ball with a little more oomph and you get a little long. I think the key is to always remain accurate and have the arm discipline to keep enough of a consistent release point despite all of the variables.

In closing I think accuracy is the name of the game. It is the most important trait a quarterback can have from an output standpoint. I saw Martell in his limited action from a year ago very accurate in various forms. Roll outs, on the move, working up in the pocket, moving in the pocket and simply in the pocket. Kid was 23-28 this year at OSU and ultimately had over a 60% completion rate in high school. At Gorman, out of 652 attempts, he threw only 9 interceptions. (Only 1 his Senior year)

I think I mentioned it enough times but the kid is quick. His quickness makes him a play maker. With his feet it's rather obvious. But in the pocket with his movements and his release he actually makes plays because off it as well. I am not a comparison guy. I rarely do it. Go back and read the FTP, quarterback breakdown or quarterback rewind series and you simply just don't see me do it often. That is the fun you get to have as an InSight community.

But he is much quicker than Drew Brees. I know that much. Does he have the arm Patrick Mahomes does? No. Who does? Is he Russell Wilson? See this is when all this comparison to shorter quarterbacks gets silly to me. His name is Tathan Martell. His Momma named him that. And one thing is for sure, he just made the Miami Hurricane quarterback room better.

Advertisement
This once former 247 composite four star recruit from Bishop Gorman High School was a perfect 45-0 as a high school starter there. Tate Martell is a rare bread of an elusive quick strike, dual threat dynamo that can instantly add excitement to any offense. In a limited capacity this year at OSU, Martell ended up 23-28 for 269 yards passing and an incredible 82.1 completion %.

FTP is going to just get a quick snap shot view from his time at OSU. What will Tate Martell bring to the quarterback room? Does he have the talent to challenge and secure a starting job? First impressions are on deck. The batter in front just went yard. Let's see if we can make this back to back jacks. Batter up.

I instantly gravitated towards this play because mesh concepts are no stranger to new Miami OC Dan Enos. A classic man beating concept that relies on two players essentially running a rub route in the middle of the field. OSU actually runs a nice designed halfback wheel element to this mesh concept and it was used to convert on this fourth down.

Rutgers actually gets a little creative with an exotic hybrid zone blitz/man concept. A blitzing middle linebacker comes while the outside linebacker on the LOS drops into perfect zone coverage on the tight end who was setting the Mesh depth. (one sets the depth, while the other receiver touches his inside shoulder) Martell astutely sees the receiver get naturally "picked" by the tight end and it is a quick strike to his slot receiver for a first down.

One thing you will notice on shorter throws is how invariably quick Martell can be. It is not only with his throwing mechanics but also with his feet. He is very fast twitch in the pocket and I think this can be an overlooked trait at times. He has a very quick shoulder adjustment as he redirects onto his target here. The quicker you can get your receiver the ball, the more room they will have to operate. Not that he needed to be quick after the mesh concept did it's job, but it was definitely Martell's quick strike that caught my eye.

Here is another example of how when Martell wants to get the ball out, he gets the ball out now. You will notice that the Rutgers Linebacker is actually breaking on the quick out route and leaking in that direction as he's reading Martell's shoulders. It doesn't matter. Martell is lightning quick on this release and throws a dart. The receiver essentially has the time to turn up field before that linebacker even lays a hand on him.

I don't mind incorporating highlights in terms of film review sessions. Simply because sometimes highlights still hide things. Before we focus on the end result of the play let's notice the beginning. Empty set five receiver combo. Rutgers does not show blitz so Martell understands he has five offensive lineman to block four. Essentially you have time in the pocket but Empty sets must have a quick pass component in case of the blitz because defenses can overrun you with numbers in a hurry.

I really cannot understand why Martell does not pull the trigger on the stop route. You will see me focus on the video that he is open off his break especially when the receiver's db was sliding into off-man coverage. (This is when you need to talk to your QB and get his perspective) But ultimately what happens after that initial read is sheer athleticism and you will see Martell's quickness pay dividends.

Kid is quick. Able to put a foot in the ground and leave a defender in the dust on this play. That short area burst is evident. I like to simply classify quarterbacks as zone read capable and zone read threats. Hard to argue with Martell's quickness that he isn't a threat to break a long run at any moment. He just did.

Listed at 5'10" Martell would be the shortest scholarship quarterback on the roster. One thing shorter quarterbacks must have is a mastery at finding throwing lanes. Here is an example of Martell doing just that. You will see his first step towards the LOS is to his right. After the initial read isn't there he is quickly resetting and gathering himself towards his left into a natural throwing lane.

Now you will see the arm confidence to make a tight window throw. Not only is the receiver's defender draped on his back when he catches it, you will notice a linebacker underneath with his back turned directly underneath the play. Cue Arron Rodgers who once said, "A defenders back turned is open in my book." This isn't double covered if you think about it. This is a quarterback who has the play directly in front of him and has the upmost confidence that his arm will beat you.

Night at the Improv anyone? A little zone read in which you will see once again Martell's quickness to get outside. If you pay attention to the actual first db that dives and tries to tackle him, you will notice that he actually is whiffing quite badly on this play. And just when you think the play is over? Not so much. By design the receiver is standing on the sideline for a pitch if necessary. Now what is not by design was how Martell's improvisation skills delivered the ball on the pitch out into the flat. That is David Blaine type magic if you ask me.

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1085681890890256385

Rutgers will actually drop back into 8 man coverage and this play and Martell does a pretty good job avoiding an interception here. Rutgers initially will show a press corner in the boundary. Now when Rutgers decides to bail him early in off man coverage that is bait. Martell sees this and his eyes go there but a linebacker on the LOS is actually going to come underneath as a curl flat defender trying to undercut the route.

Martell sees this and now you see the quarterback coaching and his instinct take over in mutual harmony. The voice he has heard from his coach is echoing in his head to "work up in the pocket" He does so and will actually scan across to the opposite side of the field where he sees someone open as result of a busted coverage. (instinct) Now the ball is a tad bit short but let's get the context here.

When the initial read is not there, this is when the QB is working up the pocket and his momentum is taking him up in the pocket. I wouldn't say this is full off platform throw but nor is it in perfect rhythm to balance relationship either. Meaning, I would be more concerned of him leaving someone short on a 3 step drop and go rather than something that his first read was covered and he worked all the way across the opposite side of the field while working the pocket for. Makes sense? (It does in my mind at least)

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1085685777772752896

I think this is rather good on the run personally. The ability to get his hips in line to his target while rolling opposite of his throwing hand is impressive. Now if you want to get a feel by what I mean by "fast twitch." focus on the clip between three and four seconds. Just look how fast Martell can get his hip squared in line with his target. Then look how quick he is after getting into his throwing mechanic.

That is a strike to his receiver directly in the most ideal catch radius. That is bread basket. On the run opposite hand? That looks easy. Martell makes it look easy. But I promise you for the better part of the last two years I have seen some pretty obnoxious roll out mechanics and throws. Very deliberate and errant because the QB's weight was not going in the right direction (away from the LOS) and just overall clunky. Martell just seems natural on the roll.

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1085722323435565056

Last clip of the night. Some anticipation and throwing while the receiver is in his break. I freeze this film for several reasons though. 1) to show you the relationship of the receiver when Martell throws the ball. (anticipation) 2) just look how quick Martell can throw the ball. Notice when he is actually releasing the ball how flat footed EVERY single defender is.

And even though I felt he loaded up a bit and over-strided a tad, this ball is down main street. (again) You can't be perfect mechanically on all throws. It is impossible. Defenses sometimes won't let you. Sometimes as qb you just want to deliver the ball with a little more oomph and you get a little long. I think the key is to always remain accurate and have the arm discipline to keep enough of a consistent release point despite all of the variables.

In closing I think accuracy is the name of the game. It is the most important trait a quarterback can have from an output standpoint. I saw Martell in his limited action from a year ago very accurate in various forms. Roll outs, on the move, working up in the pocket, moving in the pocket and simply in the pocket. Kid was 23-28 this year at OSU and ultimately had over a 60% completion rate in high school. At Gorman, out of 652 attempts, he threw only 9 interceptions. (Only 1 his Senior year)

I think I mentioned it enough times but the kid is quick. His quickness makes him a play maker. With his feet it's rather obvious. But in the pocket with his movements and his release he actually makes plays because off it as well. I am not a comparison guy. I rarely do it. Go back and read the FTP, quarterback breakdown or quarterback rewind series and you simply just don't see me do it often. That is the fun you get to have as an InSight community.

But he is much quicker than Drew Brees. I know that much. Does he have the arm Patrick Mahomes does? No. Who does? Is he Russell Wilson? See this is when all this comparison to shorter quarterbacks gets silly to me. His name is Tathan Martell. His Momma named him that. And one thing is for sure, he just made the Miami Hurricane quarterback room better.

Billy-D_Approves.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
But, according to posters here:
His competition in HS was garbage.
He doesn't have good arm strength.
He is too short and wouldn't be able to see the field
He doesn't have sound mechanics.

Feel free to add to this list, people.

But, according to poRsters here:
His competition in HS was garbage.
He doesn't have good arm strength.
He is too short and wouldn't be able to see the field
He doesn't have sound mechanics.

Feel free to add to this list, people.

Bishop G plays my STA raiders. Comp Debate Solved.
He doesn't have a rocket arm but he makes up with it with a quick release and he is more than capable making the throws I saw Enos had Allan do at Arky (Hurts isn't a pat Mahomes either now)
He is shortest scholarship qb on the roster but i showed a clip or two of how he can work the pocket and manufacture throwing lanes like some of the shorter NFL guys do.
He isn't the most perfect mechanically sound guy I have seen. But whatever. Perfect Mechanics are a myth Defenses won't always let you be perfect mechanically. But Enos will make him better. I really believe that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I am guessing you just stared at this thread and are confused? LOL. Don't worry. You won't be the last. Always remember though, it's not what I say or write, it's what I mean.
Haha. I think Tate has potential but you go so much deeper than the average fan. Thanks Roman.

The twitchy pocket movement is reminiscent of Baker Mayfield but I hesitate to make that comparison because it's only one trait.

If there's one flaw I've seen in his game it's the occasional Russell Wilson-esque tendency to hesitate when throws are available and run around semi-recklessly. But like Wilson it seems to work out for him most of the time and it's possible that the lack of height clouds certain throws or at least casts enough doubt to turn them down.

In a system heavy on RPOs and PA crossers he should be able to be decisive and use his quick setup and release to good effect. Enos has talked about the importance of ballhandling and I think Martell can master that aspect given his experience and crisp footwork.

Bishop G plays my STA raiders. Comp Debate Solved.
He doesn't have a rocket arm but he makes up with it with a quick release and he is more than capable making the throws I saw Enos had Allan do at Arky (Hurts isn't a pat Mahomes either now)
He is shortest scholarship qb on the roster but i showed a clip or two of how he can work the pocket and manufacture throwing lanes like some of the shorter NFL guys do.
He isn't the most perfect mechanically sound guy I have seen. But whatever. Perfect Mechanics are a myth Defenses won't always let you be perfect mechanically. But Enos will make him better. I really believe that.
Thank you.
You may only have analyzed highlights from one game against Rutgers. But knowing that Enos recruited him out of HS and has opportunity to study his work as a backup at OS, posters should feel good about landing him. But still we have many here think they know better.

Advertisement
Back