From the Perch: Rhett Lashlee (SMU vs Temple)

Advertisement
Haven't watched almost anything yet. What was the talent matchup like between SMU and the opponent? In other words, did SMU's skill positions beat overall lesser talent? I ask because of the few snaps I've watched, a simple route combination got SMU a big play or two. An SMU WR simply beat his [less talented] opponent.

Look forward to watching the film and looking for plays where SMU guys won by design. LSU's biggest transition this year was its laser focus on moving players around until they could pick on a matchup. You see Jefferson lined up inside against a Safety or LB quite a bit. Sounds simple enough, but it changed a lot for them and does the same in the NFL.

@Roman Marciante correct me if I'm wrong, and maybe I'm oversimplifying this, but I don't view this offense as one that our players are going to have a tremendously hard time getting their heads around. As you point out, a lot of the sets and concepts won't be foreign to them, they're just implemented in a much more modern and up-tempo way, particularly when it comes to spacing. I also think with the three to five highly rated quarterbacks we will have on the roster, there will be somebody that will excel here. You can burst my bubble I won't be offended.

Advertisement
Now the only problem is do we have the qb on the roster right now to make throws required? I say no. We need a graduate transfer or TVD to win the job
I'm not so sure of that. It might simplify things, our kids might do better. All of our QBs were relatively young and inexperienced and Enos' offense might have been too complicated.

Still, I would't mind going to the portal. This will be a fresh start for everybody including TVD and Matocha.

Anytime Roman makes a post this board becomes intelligent, how weird, wish it could be discussion about football like this instead of fire everyone, everyone sucks..Thanks Roman please post more often.

Seems everyone believes all our QB's will fail regardless of who is the OC. We haven't seen Matocha yet but his highlight high school film is impressive plus TVD is coming. Lashlee has about 6 QB's to evaluate and they can't all be lame.
Consider how difficult it is to get into the flow of a game when you take all the time on the clock to run a play, speeding up an offensive stresses a defense and energizes an offense. Also consider Enos had his own system which did not match the skills of our QB's. As far as the OL the system was not conducive to their skills either.
Quick success by running quickly pumps the adrenalin, instead our OL could take a nap between plays and never woke from their nap. I simply hope that Lashlee evaluates the skill set and adapts to the players instead of a system. Enos was to set in his ways and never adapted, in his mind his system was not the problem it was the players and that should never be a coaches attitude and Enos comments verified his stubbornness..

Advertisement
jeff thomas would have put up huge numbers under this guy.

I heard from people SMU's OL made a ton of improvment under him.
I understand your point and JT skills would play well. However I don’t think JT would have been successful anywhere.

Haven't watched almost anything yet. What was the talent matchup like between SMU and the opponent? In other words, did SMU's skill positions beat overall lesser talent? I ask because of the few snaps I've watched, a simple route combination got SMU a big play or two. An SMU WR simply beat his [less talented] opponent.

Look forward to watching the film and looking for plays where SMU guys won by design. LSU's biggest transition this year was its laser focus on moving players around until they could pick on a matchup. You see Jefferson lined up inside against a Safety or LB quite a bit. Sounds simple enough, but it changed a lot for them and does the same in the NFL.

Design is a huge emphasis for SMU in the red zone.

imagine knighton in the slot and in space
Man I want to believe

Motioning the back out and using formation and route designs to create space for the RB in the flat is something I saw SMU do a lot in just 1 game. Knighton should be featured in that way. He will be the most explosive player on the offense from the day he arrives.

Great stuff Roman, and I’m glad u got ur guy. There is a lot to be excited about. I watched a little SMU this year, but not with great intent.
I’m not the negative type, but no OC is perfect. What are the things you saw that Lashlee needs to improve on? Cheers and love ur work.

Advertisement
I'm making part two tomorrow. I am taking your feedback and I sense the majority of your concerns and questions.

This next FTP will focus heavily on what the QB is required to do in lashlee's offens with the underlay do we have someone on the roster who can run it.

My answer will be resoundingly yes. But I need to do a better job of why and I will.

Ok I will admit that this clip is really tongue and cheek and relatively taking a job at the former oc, but it's a microcosm of this offense.

Just take what they give you. EVERY qb on Miami's roster can see someone isn't covered at the LOS. Now systematically speaking you just throw the guy the ball.

In a spread offense, you look for safeties, if there's 2, you should have numbers to run. If you have 1, you have numbers to pass. That doesn't take high level thought.

I can see the 1v1, the brackets, the numbers advantages, so much clearer here. I know these quarterbacks will be fine.

I'm making part two tomorrow. I am taking your feedback and I sense the majority of your concerns and questions.

This next FTP will focus heavily on what the QB is required to do in lashlee's offens with the underlay do we have someone on the roster who can run it.

My answer will be resoundingly yes. But I need to do a better job of why and I will.

Ok I will admit that this clip is really tongue and cheek and relatively taking a job at the former oc, but it's a microcosm of this offense.

Just take what they give you. EVERY qb on Miami's roster can see someone isn't covered at the LOS. Now systematically speaking you just throw the guy the ball.

In a spread offense, you look for safeties, if there's 2, you should have numbers to run. If you have 1, you have numbers to pass. That doesn't take high level thought.

I can see the 1v1, the brackets, the numbers advantages, so much clearer here. I know these quarterbacks will be fine.

These are the plays that make it 3rd and 3 and not 3rd and 10. Makes converting easier

Advertisement
So we finally did it. We finally got the offense I have been begging this university to run for over a decade. I honestly will start by saying that I think we nailed this hire. This was my number one pick this cycle and I have been answering with Rhett Lashlee anytime someone would ask me who would be my pick to replace Enos. (I did say Lincoln Riley's pen too) This will be 11 narrated clips from the FIRST HALF of the SMU Temple game. I decided to start the series with a common opponent for next year in Temple.

Here are some random first look take away points from the first half
  • This is a multiple based uptempo spread offense
  • In the first half alone I charted 61 plays
  • Miami ran 64 plays a game in 2019 (Now you know why I did this video in parts)
  • Initial impression is that Lashlee will not put the stress on the offensive line that Enos did
  • There is a consorted effort to get rid of the ball quickly
  • SMU allowed only 17 sacks on the year (34 less than Miami's 51)
  • One of my biggest criticisms of last year's offense was the refusal to audible when necessary
  • Rhett Lashlee and SMU will check with me at the line of scrimmage
  • Run game this first half was not overly complicated and utilized both zone and man blocking
  • Zone read will be featured much more in this style of offense
  • I strongly disagree if you think SMU's offensive line is better than Miami's
  • SMU's offensive line was not dominant and hardly created any push
  • They don't seem to be a very powerful or overly athletic offensive line
  • Once again the quarterback is getting rid of the ball very quickly not requiring to block long
  • Air raid components are apparent with option routes based off look
  • RPO friendly formations that are easily read identifiable for quarterbacks
  • SMU quarterback would be the #4 quarterback here. (I mean #3 if Tate was on vacation again)
  • This system will not be overly complicated to assimilate as far as a QB is concerned (Pre snap reads are much simpler to find)
  • SMU WR's had their way with Temple DB's
  • Lashlee manufactured some big plays by design
  • Favorite play was watching 12 set personnel act as blocking decoys when in fact it was a stop and go (I will attach clip)
  • That play showed the ability to use personnel to gain an advantage
  • SMU went under center very sparingly and were a predominate shotgun based team
  • 11 set heavy but also showed 10 and 12 set personnel

Thank you for supporting the YouTube page and it was an absolute pleasure to become a student of this offense. There will be many more games I look to tackle this off season but no place like the present. Also look forward to Lance Roffer's breakdown as he will definitely be utilizing his technical aptitude and bring his unique talents to the table. You know we assemble around these things like a kick *** x/o forming Voltron. I'LL FORM THE HEAD.

Look..you mean well but you did this **** with Enos & it needs to stop.

Stop crowning & stop analyzing these coaches & their systems in any positive light until they accomplish winning big while working for the University of Miami.

Advertisement
Back