From The Perch: Enos

Advertisement
How many games of film did you dissect to notice any tendacies? Every play callers has them. No matter who. The trick that I’ve seen from the really great ones is like you highlighted , staying multiple and presenting different looks. With shifts, different sets, splits etc etc you can you can run the same concepts. It’s gonna be critical that we get Hurts I believe. I don’t think we have QBs who can handle what Enos wants to throw at them at this point in their development

That’s what I think did MRs O in the last 2 years. I figured it was based on what he was dealing with at the QB spot as to why the O became as predictable and simple as it did. When he had Kaaya we saw multiple looks, formations, personnel and route combos. With Malik/perry the O became simple stupid.

From what you’ve broken down, and from what we’ve seen from perry do you think he could handle and grasp the multiple playbook Enos has?
I disagree on your qb comment. enos develops qbs wherever he goes. perry/Williams exttremly talented young kids. now I want hurts/martell whoever we can add to qb room from a talent perspective competition but Williams and perry are both very talented and enos system hasn't been difficult for qbs to learn he took guys in yr 1 and had there best seasons with him as there coach

To be fair, over the past 3 years, we rarely reacted at all.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 1.18.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 1.18.39 PM.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 54
Advertisement
LUUUUUUUUUUU. challenging as a defensive coordinator, seemed to have some fits vs. Athletic gifted fronts and victimized by some blitzes. (Especially on early pa downs where plays took a long time to develop) also don't see teams being so man heavy with repeated success. (Enos will bunch, motion, rub, mesh too much for that)

Think as a defensive coordinator you need to prepare for the bunch and focus heavy on the week with motion responsibilities. Need to adjust on the fly and literally anticipate a motion every play. You'll be right 70% off the time.

Offensive line was mostly used in a power blocking scheme with Arkansas. Richt was favorably a more zone blocking system guy. Technique wise it'll all be contingent on the new OL coach.

But ultimately the method of attack from enos will be kitchen sink, multiple, and most importantly and the most pivotal aspect? It dictates. It doesn't react.
Thanks for the response. I wonder how much of those vulnerabilities were personnel-specific. Almost every kind of team is victimized by athletic, gifted fronts. What I noticed from watching his 2015 season were times where Enos couldn't get anything going at all. The lulls.

He also had a very specific type of OL playing a specific type of way. We don't really have that style of OL, though a permanent infusion of guys like Reed, Gaynor and Scaife may change that. I wonder how much of that will now change from learning some of the stuff he calls "creative" in terms of RPOs and taking advantage of defenders.

I think we're going to spend the early part of the season figuring out whether Enos has formulated a cohesive identity from all the different sets. Hope he keeps things relatively simple and builds, as he has done elsewhere, from there. Oh yea, we need to settle on a viable QB.

I disagree on your qb comment. enos develops qbs wherever he goes. perry/Williams exttremly talented young kids. now I want hurts/martell whoever we can add to qb room from a talent perspective competition but Williams and perry are both very talented and enos system hasn't been difficult for qbs to learn he took guys in yr 1 and had there best seasons with him as there coach
I’m not saying Williams will struggle. I’m talking perry. Like the Op said about the mirrored concepts we ran. I’m also not talking arm or athleticism. Mentally I don’t think perry will grasp this playbook. That’s just me tho

I like williams a ton. I really do. His qb coach is an absolute MONSTER too. Honestly the concerns I have with perry go mostly beyond the field. I need my quarterbacks to be all star warrior poets on the field and church mice off it.

Unless the 2018 version of NP matures a bit, I don't need a suspension waiting to happen as my starter in 2019. Sorry. Tough love. I'd tell my son the same advice too. (He's 7) lol

Advertisement
Watching 2015 Arkansas reminds me of the Rams under McVay. Lots of bunch formation, motion, QB under center, and play action pass -- all things that should work here. I'm really excited.

My only wonder is if we can be as effective as Arky was with our OL.

Thanks for the response. I wonder how much of those vulnerabilities were personnel-specific. Almost every kind of team is victimized by athletic, gifted fronts. What I noticed from watching his 2015 season were times where Enos couldn't get anything going at all. The lulls.

He also had a very specific type of OL playing a specific type of way. We don't really have that style of OL, though a permanent infusion of guys like Reed, Gaynor and Scaife may change that. I wonder how much of that will now change from learning some of the stuff he calls "creative" in terms of RPOs and taking advantage of defenders.

I think we're going to spend the early part of the season figuring out whether Enos has formulated a cohesive identity from all the different sets. Hope he keeps things relatively simple and builds, as he has done elsewhere, from there. Oh yea, we need to settle on a viable QB.

Some vulnerabilities at guard play I noticed. Schematically I thought struggles usually were compounded on first down via a run blitz or something that penetrated and got home during a play action pass.

Quarterback was efficient but not overall the arm talent or as mobile as some of our options.

Yes the archetype offensive line was the big body road grader type that matched up to his power run game. I think some more infusion and mixing of run styles would be ideal here.

I saw very little zone runs that were effective but I saw some zone sells on play action. Honestly seems as a former qb enos strength is pass friendly systems that understand the qb perspective.

He would benefit immensely with a run game coordinator who has some creative reign with his offensive line coach. Enos preaches multiplucitive approach need him to apply that to the run game.

Although more usage of the rpo on early downs will stunt the early run blitz tendencies and accentuate the run game with quick passes on the perimeter.

And Enos alluded. He'll teach core principles and formulate his identity around his team. Honestly 12 set is the advantage here. Deejay can factor here. Mobile QBs to add the tertiary run component can factor here. I see him bright and able to ascertain his talents rather quickly tbh.

He's formationally right and personnel tight. He has a track record of using his personnel and im excited to see what he comes to with here.

I'm so glad to finally have a guy who's going to dial-up concepts to GET GUYS OPEN rather than just relying on our guys to "out athlete" opponents on 4-verticals.

Coach saw an all vertical concept from Enos but the check down went for 40 yards. Enos actually shifted the rb to the pass strength prior to the snap.

The intent was the check went flat underneath the verticals "in the quarterbacks view" and went for 40 yards. Easy look. Can't miss that.

On his radio interview today he said "i'll take shots with options. Defenses don't just do what you want them too, you can't just not get the look you want and throw the ball out of bounds."

That play I referenced is exactly what he preached. At least when this man runs all verticals... you know he'll have a qb out underneath.

Advertisement
Fantastic write-up Roman! I greatly appreciate you taking the time to review hours of film to provide us with the best details on what our new offense will/should look like. I’m very excited to see how all of this will translate to the practice field and then game time. If we can just get the ability to confuse or take the advantage of dictating to the defenses we face that will truly be a breathe of fresh air we’ve needed for 15+ years. So far I’m loving everything that Manny is doing; from the hires so far to the team meeting/party last night, he’s really changing the culture and attitudes of the players. That should translate to better performances on the field, generating more W’s. Color me excited!

Great stuff. I was watching the Pats win yesterday, and on the Dorsett touchdown, the announcers showed the probabilities of each receiver making a successful catch. Brady threw it to Dorsett who had by far the highest chance of success, and the guys in the booth were saying he had run those numbers in his head before stepping up to the line, and knew what his reads needed to be as a result.

My point is, we need a smarter QB than what we saw with Rosier and Perry. A kid that will be in the film room 3 hours a day prepping for Saturdays like it actually mattered for his career and the team's success. Rosier didn't start getting serious until he was named the starter. Perry wan't serious. even after being named the starter. That's insane. ... The only kid on roster I have confidence in is Williams, and he needs to bake another year (Hurts or some other GT) along with more competition (Martell or some HS Sr).

LUUUUUUUUUUU. challenging as a defensive coordinator, seemed to have some fits vs. Athletic gifted fronts and victimized by some blitzes. (Especially on early pa downs where plays took a long time to develop) also don't see teams being so man heavy with repeated success. (Enos will bunch, motion, rub, mesh too much for that)

Think as a defensive coordinator you need to prepare for the bunch and focus heavy on the week with motion responsibilities. Need to adjust on the fly and literally anticipate a motion every play. You'll be right 70% off the time.

Offensive line was mostly used in a power blocking scheme with Arkansas. Richt was favorably a more zone blocking system guy. Technique wise it'll all be contingent on the new OL coach.

But ultimately the method of attack from enos will be kitchen sink, multiple, and most importantly and the most pivotal aspect? It dictates. It doesn't react.
A few things I called for over the course of the past 2 seasons:

1. Scheming to your opponents weaknesses;

2. A power blocking scheme (in large part based on our personnel).

Glad both of these appear to be trending in the right direction.

As to tempo, while I generally advocate for it, I don’t see a slower tempo as a game breaker.

It goes both ways. Long, sustained drives also wind defenses. And, maybe more importantly, they keep opposing offenses on the sidelines and, presumably, out of rhythm. I don’t think tempo is a necessary component of a successful offense.

The key seems to be that Enos schemes to fit his personnel. Well, maybe our particular personnel says tempo, and we run some? Conversely, if you don’t have the right pieces to run tempo and still do, that’s just a different variation of the square peg in round hole bullsiht we saw from Richt.

If he can maximize our personnel, it doesn’t matter what offense or pace he runs. We can recruit the talent for any competent OC to be successful, if they know what they are doing.

Advertisement
Great stuff. I was watching the Pats win yesterday, and on the Dorsett touchdown, the announcers showed the probabilities of each receiver making a successful catch. Brady threw it to Dorsett who had by far the highest chance of success, and the guys in the booth were saying he had run those numbers in his head before stepping up to the line, and knew what his reads needed to be as a result.

My point is, we need a smarter QB than what we saw with Rosier and Perry. A kid that will be in the film room 3 hours a day prepping for Saturdays like it actually mattered for his career and the team's success. Rosier didn't start getting serious until he was named the starter. Perry wan't serious. even after being named the starter. That's insane. ... The only kid on roster I have confidence in is Williams, and he needs to bake another year (Hurts or some other GT) along with more competition (Martell or some HS Sr).

I agree that based on what we've seen the football IQ of our QB's was low

But at the same time, you could argue that starting today, they will finally be getting some real QB coaching at UM

(And yeah that's a shot at Jon Richt)

Is the Arkansas offense exactly the offense I envisioned Miami moving to? No. But can it be super effective? Absolutely. Would I prefer a more tempo driven, post snap RPO version that Alabama ran with him as quarterback coach? Yes. -ftp-

Enos told The Joe Rose Show on 560 WQAM. “At Alabama, we did a tremendous job with RPOs last year and that opened up a whole new world to me—getting into some of the creative things we did with that. We would certainly like to be very versatile and you can call it the ‘spread coast’ or whatever you want to call it.

Thanks coach for seeing it.😎

For those following this hire, this is a crucial post. It shows that there is a plan to evolve the concepts he’s bringing.

I like the option of being able to run up tempo when you want but also being able to run at a slower pace when you need to also. So many of these super fast teams get so used to tempo that they can't function at a more traditional pace. You don't always want 1:35 drives. Being able to milk the clock a little, especially with the lead late in the game is important. Even Clemson, who likes to run a ton of up tempo stuff, was able to slow it down and still be effective against Bama in the championship game. You want to stay aggressive in play calling but not be in an incredible hurry.

Advertisement
Back