Freshmen snaps and Key Smith's mom vs Gattis

I’m sure you’re more than a decent coach. Also I don’t think I should ever come off as mad I just been telling it how it is. Gattis is someone I had higher hopes on although I had reason to believe he would fail based on what I knew. I think sometimes in big league coaching a lot of **** breaks your way. If he gets colbie young drafted as a wr I’ll heap a ton of praise on him. Those other guys in the league already. I mean

I won't consider the Bama boys (I figure you're talkin to one of dem boys, and you're right...he really had nothing to do with them...but its on his resume. It is what it is.)

But...some examples...because, you asked.

Jordan Matthews at Vandy. 3-star prospect. Gattis got there in 2012 and Matthews went from decent to one of the best WRs in the nation with 2800/15 and is the best WR in the history of the school and early NFL contributor...think he is still floating around (or was). 2x All-Conference and All-American in 2013.

Chris Godwin at Penn State. 4-star player to Day 2 pick and he's a STUD.
Less so, but Daeshon Hamilton...peaked as a senior when Gattis was gone, but was good and productive there, too.

I'm sure the Michigan players are up and down on him, but there are some guys from there that made the NFL, too.

We aren't talking 1-2 and a bunch of scrubs...there are some guys. We gotta give a little credit when it is due...if its on the resume, its on the resume.

Advertisement
I get what you're saying...but there's been leaps by a few guys. Doesn't mean they are world beaters, ALL ACC type players but definitely better than last year.

Flagg
Ivey
TC
Clark
Brashard
Redding

Those are the ones that are playing at a noticeably higher level than they played at last year.

Good point.

I won't consider the Bama boys (I figure you're talkin to one of dem boys, and you're right...he really had nothing to do with them...but its on his resume. It is what it is.)

But...some examples...because, you asked.

Jordan Matthews at Vandy. 3-star prospect. Gattis got there in 2012 and Matthews went from decent to one of the best WRs in the nation with 2800/15 and is the best WR in the history of the school and early NFL contributor...think he is still floating around (or was). 2x All-Conference and All-American in 2013.

Chris Godwin at Penn State. 4-star player to Day 2 pick and he's a STUD.
Less so, but Daeshon Hamilton...peaked as a senior when Gattis was gone, but was good and productive there, too.

I'm sure the Michigan players are up and down on him, but there are some guys from there that made the NFL, too.

We aren't talking 1-2 and a bunch of scrubs...there are some guys. We gotta give a little credit when it is due...if its on the resume, its on the resume.
Godwin and matthews. I actually forgot about Godwin.. that’s legit. I’ll concede that. I don’t think he is as bad as the site makes him out to be but I think as a OC he’s in over his head. Think he still has more to learn

Godwin and matthews. I actually forgot about Godwin.. that’s legit. I’ll concede that. I don’t think he is as bad as the site makes him out to be but I think as a OC he’s in over his head. Think he still has more to learn

We have taken some bad Ls in the first year of the new staff...lots of people in their feelings. I just go back to the idea that none of these guys forgot to coach. Maybe they won't be successful HERE for reasons, but none of these guys on staff are bums or nobodies. Maybe there is a learning curve in the staff and they need to work together better, get on the same page...but thats a small percentage of what you're seeing on the field.

When it comes to Mario...as a head man...he's had 3 different OCs go off and become a HC (Satterfield to App St then Louisville, Marcus Arroyo to UNLV, and Joe Moorhead back east to Akron)...he's had DCs go off to become head coaches (Geoff Collins to Temple, then GT, then the unemployment line and Ken Wilson at Nevada now). I don't buy the idea that Mario has no idea what he's doing at the coordinator spots either. I can see why Gattis would want to come here...a chance to show what he's got to become a HC soon. Hasn't gone so well. Some is on him for sure. Most is on pile of jabrones he inherited. And, to Gattis' credit, he's changed his offense...rather abruptly, on the fly, to accommodate TVD (wisely)...but still, when you've got one of the worst offensive lines in the nation, a WR room that cries to their mom, drops numerous catchable balls every game, doesn't keep route integrity when they aren't getting the ball, dudes that don't block, dudes that just don't put in the work...I find it hard to fault ol boy that much, to a degree, absolutely, but...that is who these boys are...they've done it for a long time...its hard to make chicken salad out of chicken ****, especially when you aren't an ACE playcaller.

Most of the guys we got on the field make everyone else look worse...their teammates, the coaches, the school. It just is what it is. It isn't even an excuse.

We have taken some bad Ls in the first year of the new staff...lots of people in their feelings. I just go back to the idea that none of these guys forgot to coach. Maybe they won't be successful HERE for reasons, but none of these guys on staff are bums or nobodies. Maybe there is a learning curve in the staff and they need to work together better, get on the same page...but thats a small percentage of what you're seeing on the field.

When it comes to Mario...as a head man...he's had 3 different OCs go off and become a HC (Satterfield to App St then Louisville, Marcus Arroyo to UNLV, and Joe Moorhead back east to Akron)...he's had DCs go off to become head coaches (Geoff Collins to Temple, then GT, then the unemployment line and Ken Wilson at Nevada now). I don't buy the idea that Mario has no idea what he's doing at the coordinator spots either. I can see why Gattis would want to come here...a chance to show what he's got to become a HC soon. Hasn't gone so well. Some is on him for sure. Most is on pile of jabrones he inherited. And, to Gattis' credit, he's changed his offense...rather abruptly, on the fly, to accommodate TVD (wisely)...but still, when you've got one of the worst offensive lines in the nation, a WR room that cries to their mom, drops numerous catchable balls every game, doesn't keep route integrity when they aren't getting the ball, dudes that don't block, dudes that just don't put in the work...I find it hard to fault ol boy that much, to a degree, absolutely, but...that is who these boys are...they've done it for a long time...its hard to make chicken salad out of chicken ****, especially when you aren't an ACE playcaller.

Most of the guys we got on the field make everyone else look worse...their teammates, the coaches, the school. It just is what it is. It isn't even an excuse.
personally, I dont like Moorhead's offense but its what Mario likes that matters the most. he did take a payout to be the Akron HC. I thought it was a good hire for what Mario wants to do.

Arroyo - yeah wasn't a fan there.

Satterfield and Collins were good finds by Mario in terms of guys that excelled and got HC gigs. I believe Collins went to Bama then GT.

for gattis, I think he knew the writing was on the wall at Michigan. he got saved by Harbaugh's additions to his staff and took a bit of a demotion there. he knew he wasn't gonna be left around much longer either w Weiss coming in as CO-OC at some point. he also got a pay bump to come here. dont blame gattis for taking the job others have said no to (thats another discussion as to why Mario got or may have gotten turned down by other OCs he had ahead of gattis). I do agree that at least they changed the offense to fit the roster better. unfortunately it took too long when we all saw it early on in the spring. also hate his RZ play calling and situational play calling. not all of it is bad (sometimes it is just execution -- Rooster fumbling on a good play call against UNC and other times its poor pay calling - fourth and goal longer developing pass to a tight end after running into a stacked front three straight times).

either way, theyre all fault (coaches and players). coaches could have done a better job as coaches and players could have done a better job performing on the field. it all falls on Mario at the end of the day bc he is the head coach just as all the past issues fell on those HCs. we didnt give Manny a break for his disastrous first year and this is just as bad as that one.

next year, there will be a new group of assistants so lets see if round 2 of Mario hiring goes better. I look forward to him allowing the coordinators to bring their guys on board and not forcing hires onto them.

Advertisement
I think throwing a staff together matching it to the few guys you brought with you is destined to fail. At the time you had a wr coach that was going to be the co oc without even having the actual play caller hired lol. It was like we threw a bunch of individuals together and said ” get on the same page “. Tbh I believe that hurt with getting an OC, most OC’s want to bring their guys , which makes sense. They speak the same language. They don’t want to leave their coaches behind, just like Mario didn’t leave his guys behind. Chemistry matters more than **** , attention grabbing hires.

Just my opinion.
That’s why he ended up with Gattis bc he doesn’t have guys.

USC wouldn’t touch Smith.

But her comments seem to confirm my thoughts that most of this team just doesn’t like playing for this new staff, right or wrong.
maybe it's because the staff is actually holding the players accountable: The USC coach, used to be the Oklahoma coach, were Rambo our best receiver last year couldn't smell the field for the USC coach. Smith may want to reconsider.

While coaching the Dolphins, when a player was on the lockeroom floor having a seizure, Nick Saban stepped over him on his way to his office as if he was a pillow...

Just ******* win and give me hard coaching over what we've had in years past.
There's a difference between hard coaching and being a sociopath. Saban was being a sociopath in that example. There are plenty of guys that are tough taskmasters, but actually give a crap about the people they lead.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back