Freshman DT's

Certainly some big dudes. I'd like to see at least one of them grow into the all important 1 technique DT that we rarely have around here. We played all of last season with a combination of a converted end (Bethel) and grad transfer (Tito) at nose tackle. They were serviceable but we had no real anchor-type DT. Hopefully Ford and Miller can fill that role this season.

Advertisement
19612F92-0C03-4552-A2DE-E045468D570A.jpeg

Bumblebee tuna... your nips are showing 😂😂. Thought I saw one slip out lol... for real these guys look legit though

Even with Nesta out for a minute we still shouldn't have to rely on any of them. How many DTs do we need in the rotation?

Ford
UCLA kid
Bethel
Miller

Lets roll!
Ivins was saying he wouldnt be surprise if they pass miller this season. Miller has done a lot of great work but they just look worlds ahead of him athletically

Certainly some big dudes. I'd like to see at least one of them grow into the all important 1 technique DT that we rarely have around here. We played all of last season with a combination of a converted end (Bethel) and grad transfer (Tito) at nose tackle. They were serviceable but we had no real anchor-type DT. Hopefully Ford and Miller can fill that role this season.
We never really use a 1 technique and even then we dont need a really heavy one because we always play 1-gap

Advertisement
Who's the last true freshman DT to make a significant impact at Miami? Was Wilfork redshirted?

10 to 15 reps a game.....just dont die....all we need....

just need these guys to be solid rotation guys( to me, redshirting for the most part has gone the way of Blockbuster Video), and it would help if -- unlike last season -- the defense could be allowed to play with leads and just pin their ears back and play downhill.

These guys at least look the part, early on...

just need these guys to be solid rotation guys( to me, redshirting for the most part has gone the way of Blockbuster Video), and it would help if -- unlike last season -- the defense could be allowed to play with leads and just pin their ears back and play downhill.

These guys at least look the part, early on...

I suspect our fanbase will be blown away what a defense looks like with competent S&C and hopefully an offense capable of putting up 30+ a game.

Advertisement
What is crazy is that Harrison carries even less bad weight than blissett who in his own right looks very impressive as well. Add to that Holley is a legit 6’2 290 with great quickness for a dt

Saw El Gamal at Trader Joe's about a month ago, and boy is a monster, with no waist and tree trunks for legs. If he has any foot quickness, that boy will be a player big time.

We never really use a 1 technique and even then we dont need a really heavy one because we always play 1-gap
Miami uses a 1 technique DT in pretty much every defensive set. There's almost always a tackle lined up over the center or shaded slightly between the center and guard. All 1 technique means is that he's responsible for the gap between the center and guard. Where the three technique is responsible for the gap between the guard (on the other side) and tackle.

An odd front line uses a zero technique nose tackle. That's the big, giant tackle that usually lines up directly over the center and has two gap responsibilities.

An even front nose tackle is only responsible for one gap but because the gap is between the guard and center, he's often charged with handling a double team.

Advertisement
Miami uses a 1 technique DT in pretty much every defensive set. There's almost always a tackle lined up over the center or shaded slightly between the center and guard. All 1 technique means is that he's responsible for the gap between the center and guard. Where the three technique is responsible for the gap between the guard (on the other side) and tackle.

An odd front line uses a zero technique nose tackle. That's the big, giant tackle that usually lines up directly over the center and has two gap responsibilities.

An even front nose tackle is only responsible for one gap but because the gap is between the guard and center, he's often charged with handling a double team.
Lol bro I know exactly what a 1 technique is but we definitely dont always use one. At least not traditionally anyways

That freshman OL is massive

I just had to go watch his HS film. I thought he looked a little bit uncomfortable in that picture. Dude looks lean af in his highlights. And he's mean too.

I think Blisset haqs a legitimate chance to be very good right away.

I am always hopeful but these guys in the trenches take a little time to develop. But all of these guys do look like quality DTs. Imagine if we actually hit on all three.

Lol bro I know exactly what a 1 technique is but we definitely dont always use one. At least not traditionally anyways

You don't know exactly what a 1 technique is then because EVERY even front defense uses one. If Miami was running a defense where nobody was responsible for the gap between the center and guard, they'd get gouged for huge gains right up the middle every single play. Even in obvious passing situations, there's a player responsible for that rush lane. Miami still wants to get penetration from it's NT but he's also the player most likely to get doubled by the center on running plays so he still needs to be stout.

Advertisement
That Blissett kid is a really impressive athlete. They don't have to set the world on fire this season, we hope. Just get some reps, keep getting stronger, and be ready to tag in for Bethel and Chigozie next season.

This is a sneaky Freshman class and it's kind of a miracle considering how closely we were to darkness post bowl game.

That Blissett kid is a really impressive athlete. They don't have to set the world on fire this season, we hope. Just get some reps, keep getting stronger, and be ready to tag in for Bethel and Chigozie next season.

This is a sneaky Freshman class and it's kind of a miracle considering how closely we were to darkness post bowl game.

Holley Hunte and Blissett are a great great great haul.

Advertisement
Back