Freshman DT's Silvera and Miller open up about first fall camp

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Freshman DT Nesta “Jade” Silvera was a ballyhooed recruit coming out of American Heritage and already been receiving praise from the coaching staff at UM since coming in over the summer. What were his impressions of his first scrimmage at Miami?

”I think it went well,” Silvera said. “Just getting stronger every day, getting my body right.”

For his biggest adjustment to the college life, Silvera claims he has never lived on his own before and tries to see his family as much as he can.

“Living alone,” Silvera said on his biggest adjustment. “I try to go home as much as I can, it’s 30 minutes away.”

Working behind and learning from a guy like senior DT Gerald Willis has taught Silvera what it will take to get to a higher level in the college game.

“Watching a player like him, he works every day hard,” Silvera said on Willis. “He uses his hands a lot, which is something I can get better at.”

How would he describe new D-Line coach Jess Simpson?

“A family man. He really cares about you and getting you better as a player.”

Silvera has had his fair share of freshmen moments, like lining up wrong or forgetting the play in his first fall camp, but says he feels mistakes are a part of the game and happen to everyone on the team.

“I mean that comes with the game whether you’re a freshman or a senior, that’s just going to happen.”

**Closing in on Signing Day 2018, the Canes came in with a last minute offer to secure the services of now freshman DT Jordan Miller. It didn’t take long for Miller to accept, and, as he finds himself in Coral Gables preparing for LSU, Miller says UM has met his expectations so far.

“It’s not really been different,” Miller said on what he expected at UM. “They told me from Day 1 that if I work hard, I’ll get playing time, so that’s just what I’m trying to do, work hard. It’s been good, a no days off type thing.”

Coming to UM from Jacksonville, Miller played at Sandalwood High, where sophomore LB BJ Jennings also attended. The two knew each other from growing up and Miller says his presence has been a comfort so far.

“It’s comforting having him here,” Miller said on Jennings. “I can go to him and talk about things that he can relate to, because we come from basically the same background.”

Another aspect about Miami that has given Miller comfort has been the culture of the defensive line. Miller sees the unit as a family that’s all about helping each other improve.

“We’re kind of like a family now, we’ll joke around, but on the field, it’s all business,” Miller said on the D-Line. “If you mess up once, you’ll have five dudes giving you advice on how you can correct it, and when you get it right, everyone will cheer you on. So it’s definitely been like a family.”

This fall, Miller has been working mostly on the third team with fellow freshman Silvera. What do the coaches tell him he has to improve on to move up on the depth chart?

“It’s about my effort on every play, and showing I know the plays,” Miller said. “Not second-guessing myself on everything, because when I second-guess myself, my effort goes down. It’s really knowing what I’m doing and giving as much effort as I can while doing it.”

Going into the LSU opener, Miller says he’s comfortable playing at his current weight.

“Right now, I’m 6’4, 325,” Miller said. “I can lose a little bit [of weight], but right now I’m comfortable.”

Any predictions for week 1 at LSU?

“We’re going to get the ‘W’, that’s my mindset.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Don't be a mope, these are guys are legit.

So first you neg me and now you call me out? Regarding what? How am I moping exactly? Explain?

Clearly given the depth these two must be legit which is actually not likely given how many kids don't pan out statistically. I'm actually hopeful rather than moping.

Stop bringing negativity.....

Advertisement
Common guys whatever they give us this s year is a plus.let e m grow up be glad when people quit expecting freshmen to come in and play like 3 yr vets

Advertisement
Freshman DT Nesta “Jade” Silvera was a ballyhooed recruit coming out of American Heritage and already been receiving praise from the coaching staff at UM since coming in over the summer. What were his impressions of his first scrimmage at Miami?

”I think it went well,” Silvera said. “Just getting stronger every day, getting my body right.”

For his biggest adjustment to the college life, Silvera claims he has never lived on his own before and tries to see his family as much as he can.

“Living alone,” Silvera said on his biggest adjustment. “I try to go home as much as I can, it’s 30 minutes away.”

Working behind and learning from a guy like senior DT Gerald Willis has taught Silvera what it will take to get to a higher level in the college game.

“Watching a player like him, he works every day hard,” Silvera said on Willis. “He uses his hands a lot, which is something I can get better at.”

How would he describe new D-Line coach Jess Simpson?

“A family man. He really cares about you and getting you better as a player.”

Silvera has had his fair share of freshmen moments, like lining up wrong or forgetting the play in his first fall camp, but says he feels mistakes are a part of the game and happen to everyone on the team.

“I mean that comes with the game whether you’re a freshman or a senior, that’s just going to happen.”

**Closing in on Signing Day 2018, the Canes came in with a last minute offer to secure the services of now freshman DT Jordan Miller. It didn’t take long for Miller to accept, and, as he finds himself in Coral Gables preparing for LSU, Miller says UM has met his expectations so far.

“It’s not really been different,” Miller said on what he expected at UM. “They told me from Day 1 that if I work hard, I’ll get playing time, so that’s just what I’m trying to do, work hard. It’s been good, a no days off type thing.”

Coming to UM from Jacksonville, Miller played at Sandalwood High, where sophomore LB BJ Jennings also attended. The two knew each other from growing up and Miller says his presence has been a comfort so far.

“It’s comforting having him here,” Miller said on Jennings. “I can go to him and talk about things that he can relate to, because we come from basically the same background.”

Another aspect about Miami that has given Miller comfort has been the culture of the defensive line. Miller sees the unit as a family that’s all about helping each other improve.

“We’re kind of like a family now, we’ll joke around, but on the field, it’s all business,” Miller said on the D-Line. “If you mess up once, you’ll have five dudes giving you advice on how you can correct it, and when you get it right, everyone will cheer you on. So it’s definitely been like a family.”

This fall, Miller has been working mostly on the third team with fellow freshman Silvera. What do the coaches tell him he has to improve on to move up on the depth chart?

“It’s about my effort on every play, and showing I know the plays,” Miller said. “Not second-guessing myself on everything, because when I second-guess myself, my effort goes down. It’s really knowing what I’m doing and giving as much effort as I can while doing it.”

Going into the LSU opener, Miller says he’s comfortable playing at his current weight.

“Right now, I’m 6’4, 325,” Miller said. “I can lose a little bit [of weight], but right now I’m comfortable.”

Any predictions for week 1 at LSU?

“We’re going to get the ‘W’, that’s my mindset.”

I was really impressed with the maturity of Nesta's forthright and honest answers to your questions.

Coach Simpson and GW are showing the way to the young guys in a caring but serious, practice environment. Looking forward to the growth and success of NS and JM in the next 3 years. I believe they will push hard for quality playing time and very soon hopefully.

Both seem like intelligent. well-spoken young men. I think they'll both see playing time sooner than later. Especially against the GBS opponents.

Advertisement
Back