Freeman

You're confident they won't lose someone to the SEC because of money, but they lost Elko to Texas AM because of money and didn't even make an effort to keep him. They just said, "See ya, go get your money."
That’s not how it went down. Elko had a verbal deal to stay at ND for something like $1.8 million and then screwed them by continuing his negotiation with A&M. ND said “see ya” after he did that. The $200k difference is like 5 minutes of interest from ND’s endowment—it wasn’t about money at that point. But the original point you asserted was ND won’t pay when they clearly will, at least for DC. Kelly doesn’t have to spend much money on offensive staff because it’s his offense. Clark Lea is IMO one of the best young coaches in the country. Vandy made a great hire and ND will open up the checkbook to replace him. If I’m wrong on either of those it won’t be the first time but I’d be a little surprised.

Advertisement
That’s not how it went down. Elko had a verbal deal to stay at ND for something like $1.8 million and then screwed them by continuing his negotiation with A&M. ND said “see ya” after he did that. The $200k difference is like 5 minutes of interest from ND’s endowment—it wasn’t about money at that point. But the original point you asserted was ND won’t pay when they clearly will, at least for DC. Kelly doesn’t have to spend much money on offensive staff because it’s his offense. Clark Lea is IMO one of the best young coaches in the country. Vandy made a great hire and ND will open up the checkbook to replace him. If I’m wrong on either of those it won’t be the first time but I’d be a little surprised.
ND's endowment $ are ineligible to be spent on AD salaries--and there isn't enough offset in other areas (i.e. "student development") to effectively engage accounting chicanery.

TAMU's budgetary resources (for the right issue) make ND's look like a rounding error.

Advertisement
We currently Don’t have a dc Opening....so I’m sure we won’t. We will wait til next year and hire Banda away from Utah state in a bidding war with no one.

Advertisement
Back