Confirmed Frank Ponce hired as QB Coach

You come out with a strong declaration like that and then back that up by saying Ponce's resume doesn't stack up to Yost's?

Brother. Yost's resume got him a job at FIU. F. I. U.

Ponce was putting up points at App State and has experience running a system Mario likes. Cunningham's first season as a starter at Louisville under Ponce was super impressive. Chase Brice went from throwing 10 TDs/15 INTs at Duke to 27 TDs/11 INTs at App State under Ponce.

Now I'm not saying this guy is the second coming of Sean Payton but this is not the equivalent of hiring some GA from a random program so don't try to make it seem as such.
Have you looked at Yost's resume.

Ponce could not hold his lunch. Simple question how many NFL QB'S has Ponce developed compared to the NFL QB'S Yost has developed.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Dude, he was an amazing RB.

He gave a great couple of years for Detroit before injuries hit.

PLEASE LOOK AT THIS MAN IN THE NFL. High character. You can tell the guy thinks more than of himself. Godly man. TBH, my favorite RB Coach hire since I can remember.

George o Leary ****ed that dude twice.

Appalachian State offensive coordinator Frank Ponce, who was Mario Cristobal's wide receivers coach at FIU from 2007-12, will become Miami's new quarterbacks coach, sources told CaneSport Wednesday.

Ponce will be reunited with the new Cane coach and work aside new offensive coordinator Josh Gattis. The agreement came together Wednesday morning after a search that extended to several candidates around the country.

Ponce had to decide whether to give up coordinator duties that he filled very capably at Appalachian State, where the Mountaineers averaged 34.5 points and 441.3 yards per game. Ponce ran a shotgun spread that also used two-back looks. This past season under Ponce, his team ran more than it passed (567 rush attempts, 413 passes),. a philosophy that aligns with the power spread that Gattis is expected to run at Miami and was perfected by Alabama through the years.

The final selling point for Ponce was the chance to work under Gattis, who won the Broyles Award this year as the nation's top assistant, and perhaps evolve into a generational offensive coach at Miami who could become coordinator if and when the rising Gattis moves on to a head coaching position.

He has experience and also has local ties with past high school coaching experience in the area. He was head coach and offensive coordinator at tradition-laden Miami Senior High from 2004-06 and the head coach at Coral Reef High from 2002-03. He began his coaching career with stints as an assistant at La Progresiva Presbyterian School (offensive coordinator - 1992), Coral Gables High (quarterbacks/wide receivers - 1993-96), Miami Northwestern High (quarterbacks - 1998), Miami Central High (offensive coordinator/quarterbacks - 1999-2000) and Miami Killian High (offensive coordinator - 2001). As a coach at Miami Central, he mentored Willis McGahee, who went on to become an All-America running back at the University of Miami and a two-time NFL Pro Bowler.

After his coaching experience in the area it was on to FIU, where coached six of the top 10 receivers in Panthers history during his six seasons with the Golden Panthers. His most notable pupil at FIU was three-time All-American T.Y. Hilton, now a standout with the Indianapolis Colts.

After Cristobal went to Oregon, Ponce found a job at App State as the passing game coordinator/QB coach from 2013-18. In his first season back with App State, quarterback Chase Brice set a single-season program record for passing yards (3,337) and the Mountaineers extended their FBS-leading streak of consecutive years with a 1,000-yard rusher to 10 while averaging 34.5 points per game. The offense helped App State post a 10-win regular season and win the Sun Belt’s East Division title.

Under Ponce’s mentorship at App State once Brice left, QB Taylor Lamb finished his App State career as the school and Sun Belt record holder with 90 touchdown passes. The only FBS quarterbacks in 2017 with career totals of at least 9,000 passing yards and 2,000 rushing yards were Lamb, Ohio State's J.T. Barrett and Louisville's Lamar Jackson. With 27 touchdown passes and six interceptions as a senior, Lamb had the third-best season for an App State quarterback in terms of touchdown-to-interception ratio, and he led the conference in passing efficiency during three of his four seasons.

When Scott Satterfield left App State to become Louisville’s head coach, Ponce joined the Cardinals’ staff. He was Louisville’s quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator for two years and in 2019 oversaw the development of Louisville quarterback Malik Cunningham, who set the school record with a passing efficiency rating of 194.45 — a number that would have ranked No. 2 nationally with one more pass attempt. Cunningham threw for 4,682 yards with 42 touchdowns, rushed for 1,091 yards with 13 touchdowns and completed 63.6 percent of his throws in his two seasons with Ponce, becoming the only Louisville quarterback to ever have four touchdown passes of at least 75 yards.

This past year Ponce returned to App State as its coordinator, and now it's on to Miami where he’ll get a chance to impart his wisdom to Cane QB Tyler Van Dyke, who starred as a first-year starter at UM this past season, completing 62.3 percent of his passes for 293.1 yards per game with 25 TDs and six interceptions and also develop Jake Garcia and Jacurri Brown.

So yes, Ponce has some tools at his disposal.

Also of note: Ponce is renowned for his recruiting ability, and he was named the Sun Belt’s top recruiter by ESPN.com in 2010.

A native of Miami, Ponce enjoyed a decorated playing career as a quarterback at Miami Senior, where he was the team MVP and a finalist for the 1988 Miami Herald Hispanic Athlete of the Year Award. He went on to become the starting quarterback for two years at Arizona Western College, where he earned an associate's degree in arts in 1990. He earned a bachelor's degree in physical education from Florida International in 1997.

THE PONCE FILE​

Coaching Experience
1992: La Progresiva Presbyterian School (Offensive coordinator)
1993-96: Coral Gables H.S. (Quarterbacks/Wide receivers)
1998: Miami Northwestern H.S. (Quarterbacks)
1999-2000: Miami Central H.S. (Offensive coordinator/QBs)
2002-03: Miami Coral Reef H.S. (Head coach)
2004-06: Miami Senior H.S. (Head coach/Offensive coordinator)
2007-12: Florida International (Wide receivers)
2013-18: App State (Co-Offensive coordinator, Passing game/QBs)
2019-20: Louisville (Passing game coordinator/QBs)
2021-present: App State (Offensive coordinator/QBs)

Playing Experience
1989-90: Arizona Western (QB)
Personal
Alma Mater: Florida International, 1997
Hometown: Miami, Fla.
Birthdate: April 3, 1971
Reason he Developed 6 D1 kids at a magnet school not known for football at Coral Reef. Hasn’t been done again at my HS. We are in good hands with this hire. Proud of my guy.

He was the OC for famous coach Billy roll in Miami for a min with a bunch of his state titles. He’s also probably one of the funniest coaches I’ve ever been around.
My funniest story I tell at parties is from him. Only person I know who can cuss you out with every bad word in the english and Spanish dictionary. Won’t be no soft **** in that QB room bet that.

He'll David Yost, FIU's New OC has a better QB development resume than Ponce. Bottom line Ponce is only at Miami because he knows Mario.

Go Canes
Mario hasn’t hired “friends” for any significant position yet, but Ponce is somehow holds such a pivotal place in his heart he has to stick him in a QB coach role?

The day after he says he needs 10 elite recruiters on staff he switches to “9 is ok if the 10th gives good back rubs”?

You don’t have to love the hire, P. Saying he was only hired because he’s friends with Mario is not factual.

Advertisement
On Ponce: (from their 247 board)

I actually spoke to Frank this afternoon. Yes, it's more money and not insignificantly. For those who said it's step backwards because of titles, don't kid yourselves. He'll be QB coach and passing-game coordinator, and Josh Gattis is probably no more than 2-3 years away from his own gig, so Frank is sitting right there for OC. Private jets for every recruiting trip and he does it all from the place that's home. He said it's a tough call for him, but it really shouldn't be.

So, we prefer to take it forward here, and Clark knew Frank was in the running there. He was already plotting and now he takes it to action. In the interim, Clark has called plays before, so he can get what he wants in spring practices and GA Henry Stone has been in Frank's back pocket for over a year, so he gets granular with the younger QBs on what they're seeing/doing. You move forward, period. All that can be done.

On Coley (from their 247 board yesterday afternoon)

So a lot of people across the country expected him to head to Miami right after signing day. The Canes have a QB coach/Co-OC job open.

But, during his signing day press conference, Jimbo Fisher mentioned that Coley had been given a co-OC title at A&M. That seemed to be the end of it.

But, Miami circled back this week. They really wanted him on the staff and made another effort to get him down there. Again, there were some people that thought it could very well happen. He’s got ties down there and it would give him a chance to coach QBs.

We’ve been chasing this for three days now. I had two different people say that if it was going to happen, it likely would’ve been announced Monday or Tuesday. But I just heard from somebody that it looks like Coley is staying at A&M. The person said “done deal.” So now it actually looks to be officially official that he will remain in Aggieland. Just wanted to give a heads up in case anybody had heard whispers this week.

I made jokes about Pounce but in all honesty, it’s a great hire for QB coach position. What I was scared was the Pounce/Coley Co-OC combo. If the QB’s look great in the next two years and the OC position is open. I wouldn’t be mad if Pounce stepped in.

I would say an opportunity to come home and be with his wife (news anchor) and kids probably play a part. Plus he can learn from Gattis and evolve as a play caller for whatever is next. That’s a gamble on his career but tying himself to a Broyles winner is worth the roll.
ARE WE SURE GATTIS IS A BETTER PLAY CALLER? I KNOW HE COMES FROM A BETTER PROGRAM, BUT HIS OFFENSE LOOKED LIKE HARBAUGH’S HANDIWORK.

Advertisement
All world QB's are going to be all world QB's if someone is even half way competent with them. Paranos and the mopes complaining about his qb resume are just reaching.

Ponce is going to help Gattis orchestrate our best offense in a loooong time, even moreso than lashlee's now that we'll be able to run the ball

Yea. Like I wasn’t feeling Al Golden. That tie wearing **** on the sideline was like wha? My man, you ain’t (who’s name shall forever be stricken from all record books) With Manny, he was a masterful wizard of oz but once you pulled back the curtains, you realized just cheap parlor tricks. Mario is a real coach. He commands real respect and has assembled a real staff. Have to see how his theory is applied now.
Not saying that Mario isn't the better coach, but the real staff had more to do with resources than Mario. He couldn't have pulled those coaches on the smaller budget that some of his predecessors had.

Advertisement
ARE WE SURE GATTIS IS A BETTER PLAY CALLER? I KNOW HE COMES FROM A BETTER PROGRAM, BUT HIS OFFENSE LOOKED LIKE HARBAUGH’S HANDIWORK.
yelling steve carrell GIF

On Ponce: (from their 247 board)

I actually spoke to Frank this afternoon. Yes, it's more money and not insignificantly. For those who said it's step backwards because of titles, don't kid yourselves. He'll be QB coach and passing-game coordinator, and Josh Gattis is probably no more than 2-3 years away from his own gig, so Frank is sitting right there for OC. Private jets for every recruiting trip and he does it all from the place that's home. He said it's a tough call for him, but it really shouldn't be.

So, we prefer to take it forward here, and Clark knew Frank was in the running there. He was already plotting and now he takes it to action. In the interim, Clark has called plays before, so he can get what he wants in spring practices and GA Henry Stone has been in Frank's back pocket for over a year, so he gets granular with the younger QBs on what they're seeing/doing. You move forward, period. All that can be done.

On Coley (from their 247 board yesterday afternoon)

So a lot of people across the country expected him to head to Miami right after signing day. The Canes have a QB coach/Co-OC job open.

But, during his signing day press conference, Jimbo Fisher mentioned that Coley had been given a co-OC title at A&M. That seemed to be the end of it.

But, Miami circled back this week. They really wanted him on the staff and made another effort to get him down there. Again, there were some people that thought it could very well happen. He’s got ties down there and it would give him a chance to coach QBs.

We’ve been chasing this for three days now. I had two different people say that if it was going to happen, it likely would’ve been announced Monday or Tuesday. But I just heard from somebody that it looks like Coley is staying at A&M. The person said “done deal.” So now it actually looks to be officially official that he will remain in Aggieland. Just wanted to give a heads up in case anybody had heard whispers this week.
Coley not leaving his daddy again.

As for TE coach, he is a cornball and a huckster, but I wouldn't mind Tim Brewster. Might as well allow him to complete the Florida Big 3 trifecta.

Advertisement
Looking forward to what we do as far as "analysts" and "off field staff"
I think we’re keeping everybody but replaci the department head. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Field. He was one of the best at that role in the country.

we havent even played a godd@m game and we are already planning Gattis' departure and replacement.

un f@cking believable
How long do you realistically expect Gattis to stay? Lashlee got a HC job after 2 seasons. We already know Gattis has HC aspirations. That's why he was willing to make a lateral move to Miami. He felt disrespected by Michigan because they were not going to consider him for the HC job if Harbaugh left. If Gattis gets poached it likely means he did a great job here. I'm okay with that.

Advertisement
Back