Confirmed Frank Ponce hired as QB Coach

🤷🏿‍♂️ Resident party pooper apparently. I believe the staff will do well, I just want to see it in action before I give them the crown . I go back to how pumped we were for Manny and his hires etc. I’m just tempering emotions until I see tangible proof. Good start though.
I feel the same way. I think we are much better off than with Manny and the optics look good,but I am not going to crown him before they even play a game.

Advertisement
I feel the same way. I think we are much better off than with Manny and the optics look good,but I am not going to crown him before they even play a game.
Yea. Like I wasn’t feeling Al Golden. That tie wearing **** on the sideline was like wha? My man, you ain’t (who’s name shall forever be stricken from all record books) With Manny, he was a masterful wizard of oz but once you pulled back the curtains, you realized just cheap parlor tricks. Mario is a real coach. He commands real respect and has assembled a real staff. Have to see how his theory is applied now.

Crazy times boys. Everyone in town is geeked up for this staff. My phone exploded over Ponce. He’s a very well LIKED AND RESPECTED coach down here. I was shocked at the level of love he received from the high school coaches. He’s going to be welcomed with open arms in every high school down here. Talk about Mario locking down Dade and Broward. Everyone views Ponce as a “friend”. That’s a title earned, not given.

Yea. Like I wasn’t feeling Al Golden. That tie wearing **** on the sideline was like wha? My man, you ain’t (who’s name shall forever be stricken from all record books) With Manny, he was a masterful wizard of oz but once you pulled back the curtains, you realized just cheap parlor tricks. Mario is a real coach. He commands real respect and has assembled a real staff. Have to see how his theory is applied now.
Facts 100% bro. We should be in much better hands going forward plus our boosters are opening their wallets up. But still you gotta see how his theory is applied.

Crazy times boys. Everyone in town is geeked up for this staff. My phone exploded over Ponce. He’s a very well LIKED AND RESPECTED coach down here. I was shocked at the level of love he received from the high school coaches. He’s going to be welcomed with open arms in every high school down here. Talk about Mario locking down Dade and Broward. Everyone views Ponce as a “friend”. That’s a title earned, not given.
I am not surprised he was a HS coach down here for almost a decade and a half.

Advertisement
he coached at HS for a long time and was at Northwestern and Miami Central in the late 90s and early 2000s. That's two big time schools in South Florida.

Advertisement
There are way better options out there as QB coaches, this was a friend hire. At APP Sr and Louisville the QB play under him was less than stellar. No elite QB would sign on to be developed by Ponce.

Go Canes
Let’s see what QB we sign this year.

Because his resume doesn’t even come close to stacking up against the resumes of the coaches we just interviewed. Mario was in touch with a head coach; OCs from Michigan, Arkansas, and Notre Dame; the OC from Kentucky who coached in the NFL for a HC that’s about to win a Super Bowl; and we made a run at a former NFL OC and a now current NFL OC.

Now take a look at Ponce’a resume—ONE season of calling plays at App St—and tell me how he possibly belongs in the conversation with those other coaches, even after a year or two as our qb coach.
Because he will spend seasons under another OC here. Its the same thing I heard. Dorsey never called plays. He is now a OC in the NFL. Calling plays doesnt make you good and not calling plays doesnt make you bad. Its the HC job to look at man's work and determine if he has the tools and knowledge to do the job.

Advertisement
There are way better options out there as QB coaches, this was a friend hire. At APP Sr and Louisville the QB play under him was less than stellar. No elite QB would sign on to be developed by Ponce.

Go Canes
He is an excellent coach ... and he is locked in and respected by the HS coaches in the State of Florida. Guys come here for 2-4 years and NEVER gain the degree of confidence and trust .. relationships .. that he already has with HS coaches. Slam dunk hire.

Go Canes
You sure about that? I love the defintive pronouncements u man make on here. Also show one coaching staff who the HC doesnt hired guys he is familiar with.

Go Canes
He was OC of the 22nd best scoring offense

You're saying hiring an OC to come here and take a demotion isnt good enough?

What QB coach is better than a successful OC if you don't mind sharing

Advertisement
He'll David Yost, FIU's New OC has a better QB development resume than Ponce. Bottom line Ponce is only at Miami because he knows Mario.

Go Canes
You come out with a strong declaration like that and then back that up by saying Ponce's resume doesn't stack up to Yost's?

Brother. Yost's resume got him a job at FIU. F. I. U.

Ponce was putting up points at App State and has experience running a system Mario likes. Cunningham's first season as a starter at Louisville under Ponce was super impressive. Chase Brice went from throwing 10 TDs/15 INTs at Duke to 27 TDs/11 INTs at App State under Ponce.

Now I'm not saying this guy is the second coming of Sean Payton but this is not the equivalent of hiring some GA from a random program so don't try to make it seem as such.

Would really like to see the numbers.
Frank Ponce was getting paid $300k at App State. I imagine we maybe upped that a bit.

Brandon Streeter - Clemson QB coach (prior to getting promoted to OC) was getting paid $590k.
Matt Weiss - Michigan QB coach (prior to getting promoted to Co-OC) was getting paid $600k.
Jason Beck - UVA QB coach last year was getting paid $390k.

So I could see Ponce getting $500k or so. Basically a demotion by title only. It's also home for him. And writing on the wall that if Gattis performs with this offense he could get an HC job next season.

I would say an opportunity to come home and be with his wife (news anchor) and kids probably play a part. Plus he can learn from Gattis and evolve as a play caller for whatever is next. That’s a gamble on his career but tying himself to a Broyles winner is worth the roll.

Advertisement
Back