Confirmed Frank Ponce hired as QB Coach

Our coaches (now at Utah St) said it was the hardest offense to defend.
I’ve been critical of him, mainly just because he’s only called plays one year, but he spent so much time under Satterfield he’s had to pick up something.

Satterfield is innovative with his route concepts and dressing up his formations but he’s made his money innovating blocking schemes and dressing up his offense from the inside-out. Making it impossible to find keys, moving gaps, pulling guards and tackles, etc. Whereas guys like Riley and Kiffin innovate outside-in with route trees and eye candy for skill positions.

Advertisement
This is weird. When I searched for it, the ONLY result was this story from canesport, from "22 hours ago." But he just posted the story around 30 minutes ago.

So either he's been sitting on it for a day or he's making something sound official when its just a rumor.
Because 22 hours ago Canesport reported that Ponce was staying at App St lmao they just switched the title.

Does he call plays at App State? If he does then why would he leave to be a QB coach?
Ah, because UM is a much higher ranked program in the ACC .. and he is getting involved in an incredible staff for a program that is about to become .. hot again.

Advertisement
Strong hire for QB coach in general but with our makeup I would have liked someone with a more wide open passing background in that spot. We will probably have no separate WR coach, that means just Ponce and Gattis to develop the passing game concepts. I will get negged on it but not excited there.

REALLY like Satterfields outside zone and run concepts though, actually more excited about Ponce bringing that. Our run game should literally be second to absolutely no one.

Yeah but they are only a murderer's row in hindsight. Many of those guys had mediocre resumes when they were hired to Miami. On Day 1, Mario's staff is much more accomplished IMO. Now they have to go out and have careers that end up matching what JJ's squad did (long shot), but what MC has put together is incredible.
Exactly. It is not like he took Wan-Stache from the HC of the phins to coach the D, he was a DL coach at USC prior to coming here. running down the list:

Gary Stevens: Started his career at UM as WR coach, promoted to OC THEN went to the NFL.
Wannstedt: See above
Hubbard: DL c oach for Vandy then came to UM in 79 as TE coach, then retained to WR coach THEN went to the NFL
Brodsky: HS coach then jumped straight to UM as an on-field position coach for RB in 78, then went on to the NFL.
Davis: Ok States TE/WR coach then came to UM for DL THEN went to the NFL
Kehoe: Student assistant at UM, then GA, then got put on field.
Don: HS coach then Jimmy tapped him as TE coach.
Wise: Syracuse OL coach then came to UM THEN NFL.
Campo: Syracuse DB coach, then us, THEN NFL

Bill Foran: Washing State, then us, then the NBA
Tuberville: Arkansas State then Miami then went on to be HC
Ed O: Arkansas, then us then HC

Honestly at the time if CIS was around they would have b!tched about half these hires. We basically promoted from within or were poaching coaches from High School, Syracuse, and Vandy. There are 2 schools of thought. You go after the proven commodity and pay for such commodity, or 2. you take the time, evaluate, and try to find the next up and coming HC (McVay, Riley, Kliff, etc.) before they are a known commodity.

Advertisement
I’ve been critical of him, mainly just because he’s only called plays one year, but he spent so much time under Satterfield he’s had to pick up something.

Satterfield is innovative with his route concepts and dressing up his formations but he’s made his money innovating blocking schemes and dressing up his offense from the inside-out. Making it impossible to find keys, moving gaps, pulling guards and tackles, etc. Whereas guys like Riley and Kiffin innovate outside-in with route trees and eye candy for skill positions.
Agree with this take. Did not want him as our OC but solid move to bring him in as an assistant.

Unless someone can come here and detail what Ponce wants from his QBs and how he coaches them up... all I can tell is, they dont commit turnovers and tend to be play it safe stat-wise. Not necessarily a bad option.

thank you for the explanation. easy to understand.

Advertisement
310AE364-5E33-4E92-9292-B4E61C5B79B3.jpeg

Advertisement

This is a terrific post man. Spot on.

Advertisement
Back