Confirmed Frank Ponce hired as QB Coach

I don't think anyone here thinks he is the GOAT QB guru, but its still a big deal getting him to step down from OC to come here. And he is a great QB coach(historically from his stint at App st.) and from a technician stand point he is probably the best coach we have on staff.
Who did he develop at App state? Taylor lamb was basically the same guy all 4 years under Ponce. Chase Brice’s improvement can easily be attributed to going down to the sun belt from the ACC.

Advertisement
I’m not worried about the long term plan with OC. Mario has proven he’s not gonna hire just anybody as his coordinators. Personally I think his wide zone background and learning under Mattis for a couple years would make him a pretty candidate. But hiring him with the end goal of making him OC doesn’t jive with Mario’s coaching staff building.

Advertisement
IF Mario did throw Ferman this bread crumb, im glad he did. This isnt national news worthy. No need in rubbing it in to the local guys by giving this to Feldman too. We all know Feldman will get the big boy level news..Let the local guys eat too. Nothing wrong with that. When the TE coach is hired, im sure a local guy will break that too.

Im probably in the minority here but this is a new day..lets get the family back together again. (Stole that from Butch when he was interviewing for the UM job the year Richt got it) We can all enjoy these good times that are ahead. Lets put old beefs to the side.

Advertisement
But he was because Cutcliffe developed into a QB that NFL teams believed they could build around.
Thats not true, the Giants were desperate to pick a QB early because Eli was toast.

They dont select him there and he falls down the draft.

Sure you can cut out the part where the first guy actually didnt play after 2013 and was nothing more than a camp arm and Tee Martin sucked so bad he barely played at all, but sure...
He still put them in a position to get drafted and to hang on NFL rosters. Easier said than done.

Name another coach who had 3 QBs drafted in the top 10 of the first round in 3 different decades.

Advertisement
Im probably in the minority here but this is a new day..lets get the family back together again. (Stole that from Butch when he was interviewing for the UM job the year Richt got it) We can all enjoy these good times that are ahead. Lets put old beefs to the side.

group hug friends GIF

Smith was the most underrated hire imo

Honestly Mirabal might be the most underrated hire just because there was no build up for it and he is attached to Cristobal. I believe he is actually a difference maker as an OL coach--a coach that is in charge of 45% of the offensive personnel. I do think Smith is a fantastic add too

Advertisement
Thats not true, the Giants were desperate to pick a QB early because Eli was toast.

They dont select him there and he falls down the draft.

This is the only mock draft I can find that the giants don’t take Jones in the top 15. In this draft the redskins take Jones at 15. He was going first round no matter what.

It doesn’t matter what year it is? We are talking about 2020 and 2021. You were trying to argue that Brice received better coaching from Ponce when Cutcliffe was a year removed from turning a QB who looks completely lost in the NFL into a top 10 pick because of how he developed him while he was in college.
He already looked lost as a college quarterback. Unsure why he got 1st round buzz after the ****show of a game he had against Miami in 2017.

Advertisement
Back