Frank Gore

Advertisement
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-players-are-getting-put-in-the-hall-of-fame/

"What is a Hall of Famer now? Is it a guy who played a long time?" Sanders said. "It's so skewed now. Once upon a time, a Hall of Famer was a player who changed the darn game, who made you want to reach in your pocket and pay your admission to see that guy play. That's not a Hall of Famer anymore. Every Tom, **** and Harry, you're a Hall of Famer, you're a Hall of Famer, you're a Hall of Famer. They let everybody in this thing. It's not exclusive anymore. And I don't like it."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-players-are-getting-put-in-the-hall-of-fame/

"What is a Hall of Famer now? Is it a guy who played a long time?" Sanders said. "It's so skewed now. Once upon a time, a Hall of Famer was a player who changed the darn game, who made you want to reach in your pocket and pay your admission to see that guy play. That's not a Hall of Famer anymore. Every Tom, **** and Harry, you're a Hall of Famer, you're a Hall of Famer, you're a Hall of Famer. They let everybody in this thing. It's not exclusive anymore. And I don't like it."
I'd say being really good for a really long time changes the game.

Advertisement
Frank played most of his career behind porous OL's in San Francisco while Smith had arguably the best OL's of all time in Dallas. Gore would be the all time leader if he had average OL's early to mid career. To accomplish what Gore has done on **** poor teams is unimaginable. Anyone, ANYONE that has to debate if Gore is HOF material should be shot on site. I know firsthand how hard it is to comeback after tearing ACLs in both knees. The dude is my hero.

No doubt. I knew he was good and was around for a long time. Just didn't think he was top 5 all time. I'm shocked

Yeah, he was one of those guys that surprised you, because he just quietly piled up yardage in all phases of the game.

Go look at the list of top 100 RBs for rushing yardage, there are quite a few UM guys on there who would surprise you (as far as being more quiet).

I was also really surprised when I would hear about how many passing yards Vinnie T. had in his career.

Advertisement

Maybe Deion should stick to coaching. I don’t think he appreciates how hard it is for a true running back (not a knock on Sproles but he wasn’t a 20-25 carry per game back) to stay healthy and play the game for as long as Gore has. No position takes a physical pounding like running back which is why most teams don’t even want to pay a guy after age 30. What Gore has accomplished in today’s NFL is amazing and will not be diminished by the Jacksonville State coach

Sanders can STFU. Was a great talent, but sometimes needs to come down off his high horse.

With 13 more all purpose yards Frank passes Darren Sproles to become 5th all time. Currently Gore- 19684 and Sproles - 19696.
Jerry Rice leads all time with 23546 and 4th place is Emmitt Smith with 21564. Somehow, there are people in the press who argue Frank is not HOF material.
He has kicked down the door by stat accumulation. He can’t be denied anymore. He was really HOFer material but he just didn’t stop going in an era where running backs don’t really can’t that many carries anymore.

Weird stat is that Gore is not even in the Top 20 for rushing touchdowns. Edgerrin James is 20th with Gore one behind. Also on the list I noted that James played for 10 years and Portis, who played for 8 years is 25th.. It is safe to categorize the teams he played on as the offensive version of bend but don't break.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Frank played most of his career behind porous OL's in San Francisco while Smith had arguably the best OL's of all time in Dallas. Gore would be the all time leader if he had average OL's early to mid career. To accomplish what Gore has done on **** poor teams is unimaginable. Anyone, ANYONE that has to debate if Gore is HOF material should be shot on site. I know firsthand how hard it is to comeback after tearing ACLs in both knees. The dude is my hero.

Go shoot Shannon Sharpe then. Frank is the only player I’ve ever seen Sharpe go on record and say he’s not a Hall of Famer

Advertisement

He's right that too many people get in every year. Baseball does that right.

But the "change the game" standard means almost no one gets in. Peyton didn't change the game. He was just really good.

Gore is the definition of a compiler, but some compilations are too big to ignore.

Should defensive players who can't tackle make the HOF?

I would love to see what Andre Johnson could have done if he played on even a remotely decent team that had an average to above average QB. His talent was wasted in the nfl.

Maybe Deion should stick to coaching. I don’t think he appreciates how hard it is for a true running back (not a knock on Sproles but he wasn’t a 20-25 carry per game back) to stay healthy and play the game for as long as Gore has. No position takes a physical pounding like running back which is why most teams don’t even want to pay a guy after age 30. What Gore has accomplished in today’s NFL is amazing and will not be diminished by the Jacksonville State coach

Agreed. It's amazing when a RB makes it past 30, let alone play to his late 30's like Gore has done. ****, Gore's stats are nearly similar to Adrian Peterson's, who was a beast of a RB in his prime and they're both a year apart. Gore is also playing on a historically bad Jets team right now and still putting up serviceable numbers.

Advertisement
Back