Franchise was 100000% correct

@The Franchise

Your post last week is even more prescient.

I did post about our cycle and this is it.

1) Win enough games in a crappy conference and improve the product incrementally enough to continually sign top 10/15 classes and stack as many chips as possible.

2) Hope that we simply out-talent teams and continue to pick up wins that way, so that #1 can repeat.

3) Hopefully #1 repeats enough for us to eventually have enough talent across the board to overcome the shoddy coaching/scheming/MD's leadership gaps.

Now the issue we face is that if we had competent coaching, our ceiling would be much higher and we could deploy that potential talent to a higher ceiling.

As it stands, we are severely capped and will always come up short against teams with similar talent and will also be in dogfights with teams such as Pitt, Louisville etc.
Sucker duck....

Advertisement
Are you happy with 9-3 every year it’s yes or no.
Yes.
It’s called building a foundation. When was the last time this team put back to back 9 or more win seasons together?

2016 2017
2004 2005

This program hasn’t had “perennial 9-3” seasons in a long time. Some consistent winning and tough loses to top 10 programs would be appreciated versus “we want Clemson!l followed by “ we such and couldn’t beat anyone”.

@The Franchise

1) Win enough games in a crappy conference and improve the product incrementally enough to continually sign top 10/15 classes and stack as many chips as possible.

2) Hope that we simply out-talent teams and continue to pick up wins that way, so that #1 can repeat.

3) Hopefully #1 repeats enough for us to eventually have enough talent across the board to overcome the shoddy coaching/scheming/MD's leadership gaps.

Now the issue we face is that if we had competent coaching, our ceiling would be much higher and we could deploy that potential talent to a higher ceiling.

As it stands, we are severely capped and will always come up short against teams with similar talent and will also be in dogfights with teams such as Pitt, Louisville etc.
The largest potential issue remains the offense. Manny establishes the culture (see WR comments, Amari still playing after hundreds of targets) but Lashlee plans and executes the game plan.

Stupidest take I’ve ever seen on here!! We are top 15 in blue chip ratio. That means we have top 15 talent most of which were recruited by everyone. We have no top anything coaches whatsoever. Do you think the top teams would want ANY of our coaches?! **** to da naaawww!!! Give lashlee bama offense he would still run zone read all day right into the middle of the defense! Bama does not do that lol.
they would stack the box against us still and lashlee still would do wr screens to the short side of the field lmao. That’s why they almost had a pick six on one because they know exactly wtf we do each down. Dive or screens to the WR that’s on the short side of the field. We FINALLY ran ONE smash route yesterday to the middle of the field and it was wide tf open but King threw it to the heavens and Harley is 5’9”. Our coaches are bad on both sides. Baker out here channeling his inner No’D playing bend don’t break 🤦🏾‍♂️
I still scratch my head at that. It seems 30% of our offense in every game is the same exact play. And 90% of the results from that one single play is the same - King fakes a run left or right, the HB runs into the middle of the defense and is gobbled up for a 1 to at most 3 yard gain.

It's as frustrating as it was in 2013 watching us executing Coley's new offense - almost every play the QB would run to the line of scrimmage, then pause and stand, then look around in confusion for a number of seconds, then try to snap the ball before the play clock expired. With the variation being either being called for delay of game, or Al Golden calling timeouts. I remember us getting called for a delay of game after we came back from a timeout!

Our fans don't get that. Dabo was a cheerleader at Clemson for years, but he was a players coach. Sounds familiar
That's honestly the missing piece. Deshaun and Lawrence aren't 5 star players. They're what I would call "10 star players"....i.e players that are so transcendent that they cover up the missing pieces on the rest of the roster. Vince Young did the same for Texas in 2005. Michael Vick was that for Virginia Tech in 1999.

If you get one, you can amp up your recruiting and improve your overall talent level based off of their success. Clemson has done that to a tee right now.

The challenge is identifying and getting these transcendent quarterbacks to continue to come. Texas couldn't. They got highly rated quarterbacks like Garrett Gilbert to show, but they were at a level lower than Vince Young or Colt McCoy. Virginia Tech never got another Michael Vick. Clemson got Watson and Lawrence back to back. The question for them is two fold:

1) Can we get a third 10 star QB
2) If not, have we so capitalized off of our success that we've elevated the talent of all the other positions so much that we can now just roll with a good college quarterback (Alabama's model until Tua)

Advertisement
@The Franchise

100%

Stupidest take I’ve ever seen on here!! We are top 15 in blue chip ratio. That means we have top 15 talent most of which were recruited by everyone. We have no top anything coaches whatsoever. Do you think the top teams would want ANY of our coaches?! **** to da naaawww!!! Give lashlee bama offense he would still run zone read all day right into the middle of the defense! Bama does not do that lol.
they would stack the box against us still and lashlee still would do wr screens to the short side of the field lmao. That’s why they almost had a pick six on one because they know exactly wtf we do each down. Dive or screens to the WR that’s on the short side of the field. We FINALLY ran ONE smash route yesterday to the middle of the field and it was wide tf open but King threw it to the heavens and Harley is 5’9”. Our coaches are bad on both sides. Baker out here channeling his inner No’D playing bend don’t break 🤦🏾‍♂️
We are not blue chip at ol, cb or lb. If all your blue chips are rb and safety you aren't competing with the best.

I don't know that we'll be competing with Clemson, Alabama and OSU for another 2 to 3 years minimum,
We're never competing with those teams with Don Jr. at HC. If he stays our HC we'll continue to be a middle of the pack ACC team. Some good years when we have a great QB and some bad years when we don't.

I mean most of us said the Manny hire was a disaster two years ago so idk why some of y’all are shocked at what’s happening. The “a win is a win” crowd are enablers.

Advertisement
Top 15 talent and a top 15 team. As long as we win the ones we should we are better than we've been in years. Big difference between top 3 recruiting classes and top 15 recruiting classes. Or 28th recruiting class which was MDs first. You are mistaken if you think our talent is anywhere close to elite.

We're tren
That's honestly the missing piece. Deshaun and Lawrence aren't 5 star players. They're what I would call "10 star players"....i.e players that are so transcendent that they cover up the missing pieces on the rest of the roster. Vince Young did the same for Texas in 2005. Michael Vick was that for Virginia Tech in 1999.

If you get one, you can amp up your recruiting and improve your overall talent level based off of their success. Clemson has done that to a tee right now.

The challenge is identifying and getting these transcendent quarterbacks to continue to come. Texas couldn't. They got highly rated quarterbacks like Garrett Gilbert to show, but they were at a level lower than Vince Young or Colt McCoy. Virginia Tech never got another Michael Vick. Clemson got Watson and Lawrence back to back. The question for them is two fold:

1) Can we get a third 10 star QB
2) If not, have we so capitalized off of our success that we've elevated the talent of all the other positions so much that we can now just roll with a good college quarterback (Alabama's model until Tua)
We are trending in the right direction on defense. We need to tighten up at the DB position. We maybe able to front that qp in our own backyard. Imagine if we had Lamar Jackson or that qb that was at South Florida a few years back in this system. We would have been on our way.

If Manny makes the right changes in the off season and improves as a coach. We might have something. We Miami recruiting will take care of itself

Top 15 talent and a top 15 team. As long as we win the ones we should we are better than we've been in years. Big difference between top 3 recruiting classes and top 15 recruiting classes. Or 28th recruiting class which was MDs first. You are mistaken if you think our talent is anywhere close to elite.
To be fair, that 28th recruiting class was heavily supplemented by strong portal recruiting (as was needed). I was onboard with taking shots on elite level transfers that year to fill out the remaining quotient of what we could sign, versus taking flyers on a 5 or 6 three star recruits. That early NSD really wiped out most of the remaining market for HS players.

We are not blue chip at ol, cb or lb. If all your blue chips are rb and safety you aren't competing with the best.
We have all 4 star corners on the roster ALL OF THEM!! OL we have some 4 star guys there as well. LB we suck st recruiting there for sure. But we should beat every team in the acc not named Clemson with our guys running a basic offense

Advertisement
We have all 4 star corners on the roster ALL OF THEM!! OL we have some 4 star guys there as well. LB we suck st recruiting there for sure. But we should beat every team in the acc not named Clemson with our guys running a basic offense
I agree we should beat them and so far we have.

We have averaged top 15 in talent no one said that was elite. Elite is top ten. But as stated earlier it is much more talent than anyone else in the acc outside of Clemson

Advertisement
We have this year, yes but in the last 20 years we have not
Agree 100% about previous years. I am arguing that we are winning the ones we should for a change now and I would say its due to OC change, qb and kicking game. Now if we can't win the rest then we under achieved. I still think the biggest weakness on the team is oline and until we get the right guys there we can't hang with the best.

We're never competing with those teams with Don Jr. at HC. If he stays our HC we'll continue to be a middle of the pack ACC team. Some good years when we have a great QB and some bad years when we don't.
Agreed!
I think he'll get us closer cause apparently kids like him and hes bringing in good classes, then go get Vrabel!

Yes.
It’s called building a foundation. When was the last time this team put back to back 9 or more win seasons together?

2016 2017
2004 2005

This program hasn’t had “perennial 9-3” seasons in a long time. Some consistent winning and tough loses to top 10 programs would be appreciated versus “we want Clemson!l followed by “ we such and couldn’t beat anyone”.

How was that foundation off a 10 win season under Richt?

Once again you fans being satisfied with what you watch weekly on TV is just sickening.

There is no way in your right mind you can watch this team every week and go that’s a staff building a championship type team. You can’t seriously think that.

Yes or No will Manny win a national championship at UM?

Your answer will be the truth to everyone.

How was that foundation off a 10 win season under Richt?

Once again you fans being satisfied with what you watch weekly on TV is just sickening.

There is no way in your right mind you can watch this team every week and go that’s a staff building a championship type team. You can’t seriously think that.

Yes or No will Manny win a national championship at UM?

Your answer will be the truth to everyone.
Um....

You asked about 9-3 every year. I said yes. That’s a 75% win percentage. A lot of great coaches never touched that and never will.

I’m fine with consistent 9 or more win seasons even if every win is ugly. Because then at some point 5 or more years down the road this is a winning program with a current winning tradition, real fans, real financial backing from donors, and then can make the leap from the “disappointment” of 9 win seasons...

This program needs to win consistently before you lunatics start talking about championships. The 2001 team was 19 years ago, get over it. My hope is manny wins consistently so this program can eventually move on from him after this program shows some level of being a consistent winner.

Or we can all cry like 8 year olds and pine for stupid options like Leach and butch or insane options like Meyer (who wouldn’t touch this program until there was some semblance of a top program - ie winning).

Advertisement
Back