Four-star EDGE Booker Pickett Jr commits to Miami

That transition class showcased the eye for OL talent with Coop & McCoy being both solid 3 * pickups. Citizen, Kelly, and Wes are the big remaining X factors who with big years can all make that 2022 class look a whole lot better.

Looking back at the 2022 class that Citizen injury might be what makes that class bleh. Without that injury can you imagine going into next season with Citizen and Fletcher as the 1-2 punch. Another factor that could make 2022 class a success if JB finishes his career as a solid to good starting QB for UM

Advertisement
Advertisement
Just a situation where you recruit him and half the board complains about previously undersized rush LB or you don't recruit him and it's a Nik bonito situation. Not saying they are the same but 247 had Nik at 6'2 204. Even if Booker doesn't kill it in college with the production he had in HS and the all star game you gotta take a flyer on the kid and hope he gets put in positions to succeed.

Just a situation where you recruit him and half the board complains about previously undersized rush LB or you don't recruit him and it's a Nik bonito situation. Not saying they are the same but 247 had Nik at 6'2 204. Even if Booker doesn't kill it in college with the production he had in HS and the all star game you gotta take a flyer on the kid and hope he gets put in positions to succeed.
I don’t recall people *****ing about Pickett being a take, just that some rightfully pointed out that his biggest negative was him potentially putting in weight, and even then he was a take.

I don’t recall people *****ing about Pickett being a take, just that some rightfully pointed out that his biggest negative was him potentially putting in weight, and even then he was a take.
I probably should of replied to the person that was talking about previous small edges getting buried on the depth chart at LB previously pause. It's just above my post. Wasn't saying the poster was *****ing just can't treat every situation the same.

Advertisement
Could be wrong but the way we were using DEs last year I don’t think that’s what Guidry wanted to do. It was more out of necessity

The focus on upgrading the pass rushers this offseason leads me to think it’s an all out competition for a handful of guys that just need to show who can go kill the QB on passing downs. Let the dust settle and we don’t have to blitz CBs as much

Could be wrong but the way we were using DEs last year I don’t think that’s what Guidry wanted to do. It was more out of necessity

The focus on upgrading the pass rushers this offseason leads me to think it’s an all out competition for a handful of guys that just need to show who can go kill the QB on passing downs. Let the dust settle and we don’t have to blitz CBs as much
I just want a better plan for defending the wheel route.

Advertisement
See the pass rusher we just picked up from marshall, I could see pickett in a similar role to him

The linebacker stuff people are saying is basically a hybrid position, if u remember cloyd and wes lined up at edge in some of the multiple fronts we played. I think @WestEndzone had a thread in detail about some of it
Based on what I saw, at least the following positions functioned as hybrid players: Boundary DE; Boundary $; WLB

Boundary DE is a hybrid Edge/OLB (when we ran out of depth, we had to run LBs like #23 here--it is not ideal)
Weak Inside LB is a hybrid Stacked LB/Edge

Boundary $ is a hybrid Deep $/Inverted $/Stacked LB

I don't know if Pickett has the frame to be a Boundary DE quite yet. That position is more Edge than LB. Pickett might be better suited, at least initially, at WLB where he can play a B-Gap in the base nickel, 9tech in the bear nickel and 43 under stuff,

Advertisement
You could run some interesting schemes in the 3-3 front with him as a hybrid LB/Rush
I was just talking about this with a few people. There was a good video interview with Booker Pickett Sr. about how Jr. will be used at Miami. I’ll try to post the link when I remember where I saw it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back