Four-star EDGE Booker Pickett Jr commits to Miami

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
F7E62AE1-B7E4-4743-8753-DACB83F0DBA4.jpeg

The Miami Hurricanes' 2024 recruiting class received a boost with the commitment of four-star edge rusher Booker Pickett Jr. this evening. Pickett Jr. has notably chosen Miami over programs such as Florida State, Ohio State, Georgia, and South Carolina.

According to the 247sports composite rankings, Booker Pickett Jr. is ranked as the #212 player nationally, the #16 EDGE prospect, and impressively stands as the #29 player in the talent-rich state of Florida.

A native of Tampa, Florida, Pickett Jr. hails from Wharton High School. At 6-3 and weighing 205 pounds, he presents a frame with room to grow. This stature, combined with his skills, makes him an exceptional EDGE rusher. However, it's not just his size that's been turning heads. Labeled as a lanky, explosive pass rusher, Pickett Jr. boasts a staggering 30 sacks in his junior season alone.

What makes this commitment even more special for Miami Hurricanes is the history associated with the Pickett name. Booker Pickett Jr.'s decision to don the Hurricanes' jersey is reminiscent of family legacy as his father, Booker Pickett, played for Miami from 1994 to 1996.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Tape watched: Junior Season.

Lengthy kid. Looks like he just grew into this frame height-wise, his movement sometimes looks as if he is still adjusting to things. But his first-step explosiveness is absurd. Doesn't have the bend needed to play the speed rusher role fully (yet, that will come with more practice), however, he has long arms, which is a nice combo. Plays with tremendously high-motor and enthusiasm, which is always what I want to see.

But he'll need a year in the S&C program. I wonder how much weight he can gain this season, but he needs the gains in terms of play strength and simply weight. I like the pickup though, we lack speed and bend around the edge.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back