found this gem - full game 1981 Miami vs Penn St...

Advertisement
And even better about the game, was the Beach Boys concert the night before.
It was like I was we didn't leave. Got up and just went back the next day to tailgate

Who painted the helmet? Good god.. They need to go back to announcing the starting lineups one at a time.

Was at this game. The 81 team could have easily gone undefeated. By 81, you could see the momentum building. Lots of memories…. Miller time, and Kelly.

Advertisement
I can’t tell you how much I’m enjoying this my (2) fellow teammates at Southwest High in Miami .
Jamie Boone #14 DB and of course Chick 71.

Very emotional so many memories, what a treat,

Got to go watching again ❤️❤️❤️❤️ Thank you

Was at this game. The 81 team could have easily gone undefeated. By 81, you could see the momentum building. Lots of memories…. Miller time, and Kelly.

Yeah. Very talented squad that could've gone undefeated were it not for two bullsht calls at Mississippi State and Texas.

Advertisement
Yeah. Very talented squad that could've gone undefeated were it not for two bullsht calls at Mississippi State and Texas.
Wayyyy more than two bad calls, when you factor in all the No-calls...Even if we were to have Won both...We were on Probation (because of Saban) so it wouldn't have mattered anyway..

Our OL was lighter....Don Bailey the Center was 220
We always had smallish OLs in that era. Art Kehoe played just a year or two before the '81 team. I saw him playing in the '79 PSU game (also on Youtube somewhere)--we upset them up there, I believe--and Art was tiny. Around maybe 220, maybe less. A friend of mine called him the "best small OG in the country". Even into the early '80's, we had smallish OLs. Most teams were not that big. 280 was considered very big. The '83 Cornhusker line was considered huge for that era, but most of their big guys were probably in the 280-300 lb range.

Bobby Garcia was probably under 240 as a starting center on our '89 NC team.

Brown was massive. Played basketball against him twice. They had a solid squad but he was totally useless on the court. Should’ve known then he would bust.
His less heralded Carol teammate, Ricky Perry, actually did more at UM. For some reason, Brown was highly touted, a national recruit, I believe.

Yeah, two close losses. One because the **** cowbells made it hard for us to hear signals and had an illegal procedure that called back a TD. It was one of those stupid Mississippi schools, you know, the more rural redneck one, where they like use cowbells. I can't remember which one it is, just the cowbells.

At least I think that was the story. And we just barely lost to Texas...I can't remember the circumstances, but we probably got screwed there too.

Advertisement
We always had smallish OLs in that era. Art Kehoe played just a year or two before the '81 team. I saw him playing in the '79 PSU game (also on Youtube somewhere)--we upset them up there, I believe--and Art was tiny. Around maybe 220, maybe less. A friend of mine called him the "best small OG in the country". Even into the early '80's, we had smallish OLs. Most teams were not that big. 280 was considered very big. The '83 Cornhusker line was considered huge for that era, but most of their big guys were probably in the 280-300 lb range.

Bobby Garcia was probably under 240 as a starting center on our '89 NC team.
That Nebraska 83 OL was, and still is the most Decorated in CFB History....Their OL was 60-70lbs Heavier (per Man) than our DL...Tony Fitzpatrick gave Zero F's....
Tony Fitzpatrick_better photo.jpg

That Nebraska 83 OL was, and still is the most Decorated in CFB History....Their OL was 60-70lbs Heavier (per Man) than our DL...Tony Fitzpatrick gave Zero F's....View attachment 148676
Let me tell U all that right there is a WARRIOR who fears no man.

THAT IS WHO WE ARE 🙌🙌🙌🙌.

You go to war you want FITZ in your fox hole.

GOD I LOVED BATTLE ON THE GRID IRON

GOCANES

Advertisement
That Nebraska 83 OL was, and still is the most Decorated in CFB History....Their OL was 60-70lbs Heavier (per Man) than our DL...Tony Fitzpatrick gave Zero F's....View attachment 148676
He's a very close friend of mine...
I remember you sharing , please share with FITZ there an old warhorse here who SPIILLED THE SAME BLOOD IN THE SAME MUD .

And dreams of photos like that , thank you for sharing probably the most underrated nose tackle an player in Canes history, yet the most passionate EVER.

He knew he’d never put on a U uniform again and left EVERYTHING ON THE FIELD FOR HIS BROTHERS.

THANK YOU FIR SHARING, I MEAN IT WITH ALL MY HEART ❤️

GOCANES

I remember you sharing , please share with FITZ there an old warhorse here who SPIILLED THE SAME BLOOD IN THE SAME MUD .

And dreams of photos like that , thank you for sharing probably the most underrated nose tackle an player in Canes history, yet the most passionate EVER.

He knew he’d never put on a U uniform again and left EVERYTHING ON THE FIELD FOR HIS BROTHERS.

THANK YOU FIR SHARING, I MEAN IT WITH ALL MY HEART ❤️

GOCANES
I speak to him often...he resides in Houston....Was at the UM vs ND game with him in 2017

Let me tell U all that right there is a WARRIOR who fears no man.

THAT IS WHO WE ARE 🙌🙌🙌🙌.

You go to war you want FITZ in your fox hole.

GOD I LOVED BATTLE ON THE GRID IRON

GOCANES
I talked with him at length about the game many times....here's one for ya...I took this pic of UMs weight room in 81....(Ray Ganong in backround)
12219628_10205807323277752_7701238519337207105_n.jpg

I speak to him often...he resides in Houston....Was at the UM vs ND game with him in 2017
There was a small man actually became a famous actor but before that was the most decorated military veteran.
The Winston Churchill said LIONS FEAR HIS APPROACH.

He fended off a German tank squadron single handed year to save his troops who ere being slaughtered.
Audie Murphy a small statured man like FITZ

GOCANES

Advertisement
Back