found this gem - full game 1981 Miami vs Penn St...

k9cane

Senior
which is the game, if Im not mistaken began Miami's incredible streak of eight straight wins vs top ranked teams.

I had seen short clips of this game, but never the full version. Seriously, this youtube thing has a lot of stuff.

I know many think Vinny had the strongest arm in Miami history, but I still maintain Jim Kelly had the best pure arm talent of any UM quarterback..

Advertisement
Will watch more later (especially Kelly) but the beginning is hilarious when looking at the size of the penn state offensive line: some of those guys are in the 240s and 250s. I can’t believe Mike Munchak was so light for being a future hall of famer and playing well into the early 90s.

The game has evolved at a staggering pace in comparison to 40 years ago.

Will watch more later (especially Kelly) but the beginning is hilarious when looking at the size of the penn state offensive line: some of those guys are in the 240s and 250s. I can’t believe Mike Munchak was so light for being a future hall of famer and playing well into the early 90s.

Our OL was lighter....Don Bailey the Center was 220

Advertisement
which is the game, if Im not mistaken began Miami's incredible streak of eight straight wins vs top ranked teams.

I had seen short clips of this game, but never the full version. Seriously, this youtube thing has a lot of stuff.

I know many think Vinny had the strongest arm in Miami history, but I still maintain Jim Kelly had the best pure arm talent of any UM quarterback..

Kelly had a Great arm...but it wasn't Testeverde's....

Kelly had a Great arm...but it wasn't Testeverde's....
Kelly was a badass in the pros. I still can’t believe his Andre Reed, Don Beebe, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett team didn’t win at least one. They were loaded. Bruce smith to this day is one of the top 3 pass rushers I’ve ever seen in my life.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Kelly was a badass in the pros. I still can’t believe his Andre Reed, Beene, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett team didn’t win at least one. They were loaded. Bruce smith to this day is one of the top 3 pass rushers I’ve ever seen in my life.
Well if Norwood would've made that makeable FG....They'd have one....Levy kinda misused the game clock on that last drive...ala Bowden in 91 and 92....

Last edited:

In 1992 we had 238 lb Carlos Etheridge starting at tackle, and we made it all the way to the NC.

I was at this game and this is when we all felt we turned the corner. This was a very good team, in my top 5 of our history, and was such a great day in the OB.....and after the game, many of the players were at the Rat afterwards.

The thing about Jimbo, it was tempo. It's not about the strongest arm but Kelly did everything fast and always found the open receiver when we needed it.

great find steve!

I watched this game on TV, in Tampa, and the game cemented my being a Cane fan and no other teams. Prior, I was a casual fan of all the Florida schools. I know, young and dumb….although the Canes were my favorite.

Advertisement

Kelly on the ‘86 team & we’re talking 6 rings, not 5

I remember seeing Frank Frazier around campus and he huge. and was about 280....
He was also a guy you avoided as he was a bit nasty

Advertisement

This was the game that turned me into a UM fan as a 10 year old growing up in Michigan bored to death with big 10 football.

Yup. Erickson was into useless behemoths like Zev Lumelski, Freeman Brown, and Shabaka Abdul-Majid.
Brown was massive. Played basketball against him twice. They had a solid squad but he was totally useless on the court. Should’ve known then he would bust.

Advertisement
Back