Former Player Insider's Perspective

6:35
It's 3rd & 3
VT is in Cover-1 and they're bringing pressure.
We run verticals. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj3wokAfU4Q

C'mon man! No good OC does that. First of all, it's only 3rd & 3. Second, VT's bringing 6. How 'bout a slant?!

Who's Kaaya supposed to throw to?! Nobody is even looking for the ball by the time he gets pressure in his face.

The inside receiver at the top of his screen at 6:35 beats his man and Kaaya looks right at him and pulls the ball down. It looks (although I can't say 100%) that the safety is shading over the top to the other side of the field as well. That ball should have been thrown

You can't see if that guy came open from that clip. Stop. LOL

You're assuming that be separated from that defender after leaving the screen. Regardless, that's one play out of the several I posted.

Advertisement
"Coach Richt isn't putting Kaaya into the best positions to succeed, he's running verticals on 3rd and 3!!"

Lmao you all are hilarious... Brad Kaaya has only proven that he's terrible no matter what you call. We've seen the short routes on short down and distance that are executed just as poorly as the vertical routes. First you all ***** about the offense not being opened up enough, now you all are *****ing bc its too aggressive?? lol just face reality our QB is the problem he's washed up and has been since last year.

and I seriously doubt Coach Macho is even qualified to coordinate for the JUCO college in Miami, so lets not act like he knows more than Coach Richt on the side lines, clearly he doesn't.

Spend less time trying to dis people and more time actually contributing substance. You just spout a bunch of invalid bullsh!t like an argumentative little kid.

The guy who stated Coach Dorito was a genius and our players were why the results weren't there is now trying to educate us on how Richt is the reason Kaaya sucks.

Corch Macho is in here completely ignoring that Kaaya has the power to check out of a play or adjust with a hot read callout and Kaaya is doing all sorts of communicating presnap, yet it looks like he doesn't make the right calls just like he never pulls when he should on RPOs. Richt gives Kaaya a ton of responsibility at the line pre and post snap and Kaaya simply isn't handling it at the moment.

And you know this HOW?

Coach Richt and Kaaya have both said it before a number of times, that Kaaya has the ability to check out of a play if he see's something on the field. next question.

The guy who stated Coach Dorito was a genius and our players were why the results weren't there is now trying to educate us on how Richt is the reason Kaaya sucks.

Actually, d!ckhead, that's not what I said. You, like everyone else who constantly brings this up, forgot about all the other **** I said in that thread.

Regardless, I without a doubt know more about the game than BOTH of you trolling fvck-tards.

Advertisement
"Coach Richt isn't putting Kaaya into the best positions to succeed, he's running verticals on 3rd and 3!!"

Lmao you all are hilarious... Brad Kaaya has only proven that he's terrible no matter what you call. We've seen the short routes on short down and distance that are executed just as poorly as the vertical routes. First you all ***** about the offense not being opened up enough, now you all are *****ing bc its too aggressive?? lol just face reality our QB is the problem he's washed up and has been since last year.

and I seriously doubt Coach Macho is even qualified to coordinate for the JUCO college in Miami, so lets not act like he knows more than Coach Richt on the side lines, clearly he doesn't.

Spend less time trying to dis people and more time actually contributing substance. You just spout a bunch of invalid bullsh!t like an argumentative little kid.

so the facts that I highlighted in bold are invalid??

Actually, d!ckhead, that's not what I said. You, like everyone else who constantly brings this up, forgot about all the other **** I said in that thread.

Regardless, I without a doubt know more about the game than BOTH of you trolling fvck-tards.

I'm sure you do, coach.

So what I'm hearing from the excuse gallery is that Kaaya is at fault for not checking out of plays.
Ok, let's look at what's wrong with that statement and why it's something that a football novice would say.

Whether Kaaya has the freedom to change a play or not is irrelevant. Richt calls the original play. Richt called all verts on 3rd & 3.

Now...

#1 - If Kaaya didn't know what play to check to on 3rd & 3 versus man coverage and a 6-man pressure (by now) guess who's fault that is.

#2 - If Richt studied film, which he obviously does, then he should know that VT likes to play man coverage and blitz on 3rd & 3-6. Those are called TENDENCIES. If you have ANY INCLINATION that VT might send 6 and play press then your original play call shouldn't be all verts!

Advertisement
Keep being defensive Corch. You have something to prove I guess. I'm not sure what it is, but you're working hard at it.

So what I'm hearing from the excuse gallery is that Kaaya is at fault for not checking out of plays.
Ok, let's look at what's wrong with that statement and why it's something that a football novice would say.

Whether Kaaya has the freedom to change a play or not is irrelevant. Richt calls the original play. Richt called all verts on 3rd & 3.

Now...

#1 - If Kaaya didn't know what play to check to on 3rd & 3 versus man coverage and a 6-man pressure (by now) guess who's fault that is.

#2 - If Richt studied film, which he obviously does, then he should know that VT likes to play man coverage and blitz on 3rd & 3-6. Those are called TENDENCIES. If you have ANY INCLINATION that VT might send 6 and play press then your original play call shouldn't be all verts!

Haven't read the entire thread ... But is it your position that no OC would call 4 verticals against a 6-man pressure, or that only bad OC's would do that?

Against single high, or cover-0 ... No good offensive team runs 4 verticals?

Now...

Haven't read the entire thread ... But is it your position that no OC would call 4 verticals against a 6-man pressure, or that only bad OC's would do that?

Obviously you didn't ask me and I won't claim to speak for the guy you did ask but...with our OL it's a bad call. If your QB is getting crushed you have to call something that develops quickly when the D rushes 6. It'd be nice to make them pay with a long pass, but our OL isn't going to give Kayaa time for that.

Advertisement

Now...

Obviously you didn't ask me and I won't claim to speak for the guy you did ask but...with our OL it's a bad call. If your QB is getting crushed you have to call something that develops quickly when the D rushes 6. It'd be nice to make them pay with a long pass, but our OL isn't going to give Kayaa time for that.

I guess that's what I'm not understanding.

How is beating press coverage with a slant any different than beating press coverage with a vertical route?

The guys still have to get off the line, beat the press and get into their route.

Going 4 verticals against a 6 man pressure is an extremely aggressive call. But plenty of teams do it. Sometimes, it requires a back shoulder throw. And sometimes, you just throw your best guy a jump ball and ask him to make a play.

I wonder if Kaaya isn't trying to be "too perfect". He's heard Richt get on Rosier about trying to make a play, so I wonder if Kaaya is just playing things safe, and it's causing him to hold the ball too long??

Now...

Against a 6-man pressure it's a bad idea, especially on 3rd & 3. Takes too long.

And there's no design to it, you're just relying on your guys to out-athlete their's.

I don't know who else does it. Doesn't really matter. There's no justifying that call.

Now...

How is beating press coverage with a slant any different than beating press coverage with a vertical route?

The guys still have to get off the line, beat the press and get into their route.

Going 4 verticals against a 6 man pressure is an extremely aggressive call. But plenty of teams do it. Sometimes, it requires a back shoulder throw. And sometimes, you just throw your best guy a jump ball and ask him to make a play.

I wonder if Kaaya isn't trying to be "too perfect". He's heard Richt get on Rosier about trying to make a play, so I wonder if Kaaya is just playing things safe, and it's causing him to hold the ball too long??

Covering a vertical is WAY EASIER than covering any breaking route. The WR has a 2-way go, especially the slots.

You gotta know that. That's common sense. If I'm playing man on you and you run vertical you've made my job easy. As long as I got enough speed I'm in your hip pocket. We ain't exactly got a ton of speed at WR either.

You rather rely on a precise back shoulder throw or a jump ball then run a simple man-beating concept?

There's way better calls on 3rd & 3.
How 'bout lining up in a bunch formation and running rub routes? (extremely hard to cover in man)
How 'bout utilizing motion?
How 'bout a slant from your quickest WR lined up at slot?

All of these strategies are way more efficient than 4 verts, especially against a 6-man pressure.

Advertisement
LOL @ HS's players weren't good enough for JJ. Yeah JJ ended up righting the ship, but He was a straight up failure His 1st year.

Sheez, the guy inherited a NC team for Gawdsake, no excuses for the Hail Flutie & Reich comeback that year...choked.

Now...

Against a 6-man pressure it's a bad idea, especially on 3rd & 3. Takes too long.

And there's no design to it, you're just relying on your guys to out-athlete their's.

I don't know who else does it. Doesn't really matter. There's no justifying that call.

COVER 0

I am going to assume that if you see cover 0, they are playing press and sending 7. That means you have about 1.5 seconds to get rid of the ball. You won’t be able to throw crossing routes. The goal should be to get the ball out to your guys and let them run after the catch.

Here are my favorite routes vs. Cover 0:

Ace Brown – The fade and the quick out are both great options.

Ace Red – If your guys can get off the jam, there is big play potential on the slant route.

Ace Yellow – I love the 6 yard corner route to the slot receiver.

Ace Orange – The natural crossing action of the arrow and the slant is great against press.

Ace Verticals – Pick your best match up and trust your guy to win.

Trips Black – The fade and the arrow route are both good options. The stick route can be good if you have a physical Y that can create space and post up.

The other way I would attack cover 0 is to get into trips and isolate various guys that you think have a match up advantage. Throw slants and fades all night and turn the game into a 1 on 1 drill. You only need to complete 1 out of 3 to keep the chains moving. You have to like those odds

One note here: Cover 0 is usually a down and distance adjustment for the defense. If you aren’t sure when they are going to be in Cover 0, one option is to use a dummy snap count, assess the defense and signal in a new play from the sideline if the defense does line up in 0.

PRESS COVER 1

Much like cover 0, the majority of open grass is over the top of the defense. But, because they can only bring 6 defenders, you will be able to pick up the blitz and have 3-3.5 seconds to deliver the ball. This opens up your entire playbook.

Here’s how I attack Press Cover 1:

All Cover 0 routes are in. If it worked against Cover 0, it is still a good call against Press Cover 1. The only difference is ball placement, especially on vertical routes. The other major difference is the advantage created by trips. The safety will most likely cheat to the trips side and you will have a 1 on 1 match up on the backside. Because you have protection, you can run anything you want to that 1 on 1 side.

Here’s what else I like against Press Cover 1:

Ace Orange Wheels – If the safety jumps the slant you have a 1 on 1 matchup with your slot on a backer running up the sideline. Throw it like a fade over the outside shoulder.

Ace Black – I love the RB out the backfield. The stick route creates a natural pick on the ILB trying to get out to the flat.

Ace Mesh – Crossing routes are great vs. Press.

Ace Levels (all variations) – Again, crossing routes kill Man Coverage. I especially like Z and X levels because the CB has to run all the way across the field to stay with the shallow cross.

Trips Right Mesh Z Post H Wheel – This is probably my favorite route against Press cover 1. First of all, the mesh creates a natural pick and either your Y or your X will get open on the rub. Second, the safety will stay home and cover the post and the wheel should be wide open up the sideline. Call this play at least 5 times against Cover 1.

Trips Right Black X Post (or insert your favorite route…curl, comeback, dig, whatever!) – Make the defense declare. If they play 3 on 3 on the trips side and the safety stays in the middle, throw Black all the way down the field. If the safety cheats to the trips side, call 1 on 1 routes to your X. Remember, you can mix up who lines up at X. Keep your guys fresh and let everyone exploit the match up.

Ace H Option – If your H can shake their OLB, you should have the option route all night. But, the big plays on this route will come to your Y on the crossing route. If the safety jumps the Y, the X should be open on the post over the top.

We'll agree to disagree if you think the concept of 4 verticals takes too long against a 6-man pressure.

Just because we couldn't execute it doesn't make it a bad call. That's just playing the results.

And the quoted text is from a tutorial on how to beat man coverage, which suggests its a pretty standard play against cover 0 and single high.

Now...

Covering a vertical is WAY EASIER than covering any breaking route. The WR has a 2-way go, especially the slots.

You gotta know that. That's common sense. If I'm playing man on you and you run vertical you've made my job easy. As long as I got enough speed I'm in your hip pocket. We ain't exactly got a ton of speed at WR either.

You rather rely on a precise back shoulder throw or a jump ball then run a simple man-beating concept?

How 'bout lining up in a bunch formation and running rub routes? (extremely hard to cover in man)

All of these strategies are way more efficient than 4 verts, especially against a 6-man pressure.

I'm not telling you 4 verticals is the only/best way to beat cover 1 or 0.

I'm just telling you it's not a "LOL" concept.

It's actually a standard play ... Especially if you are trying to be aggressive on O.

I'm not telling you 4 verticals is the only/best way to beat cover 1 or 0.

I'm just telling you it's not a "LOL" concept.

It's actually a standard play ... Especially if you are trying to be aggressive on O.

It becomes an "LOL" concept when you do it 48 times and have no other solutions.

Advertisement
Back