Former Player Insider's Perspective

Wait...

If Richt is so aware that our OL talent isn't where it needs to be then why is he calling "4-verts" versus a 6-man pressure?

When you have a poor OL you need to run "quick game" to get the ball out of your QB's hands and/or roll the pocket. Why haven't we seen any "quick game" concepts?

That's why I'm not understanding the kaaya hate from this year. Has he played like we expected? No but the play calling and oline has been worse. Albeit he should have thrown the ball away on some of the sacks but on a lot of those plays the receivers weren't even looking back to catch the ball and were running weird routes on 3rd downs

The Kaaya hate is completely unwarranted. A kid doesn't just magically get worse under a new staff. That's BS.

He's not getting rid of the ball because there's nobody to throw to!

Completely false and stupid statement. There is almost always somebody open in this offense. There have been multiple instances this year where there have been guys running wide open down the field and Kaaya missed them. He's not getting rid of the ball because he takes too **** long to read defenses and holds on to the ball too long.

Bullsh!t. The game is on youtube and it's been shortened to 30 minutes for convenience. It's real easy to watch. I just did it last night. Go take a look for yourself.

Advertisement
Wait...

If Richt is so aware that our OL talent isn't where it needs to be then why is he calling "4-verts" versus a 6-man pressure?

When you have a poor OL you need to run "quick game" to get the ball out of your QB's hands and/or roll the pocket. Why haven't we seen any "quick game" concepts?

You do know that Coach RIcht is aware that Brad Kaaya is terrible in the "quick game" as well..... throwing 3 yard incompletions isn't going to get us back in the game??? I thought you would've realized that by know "coach"?

How the **** do YOU know what he's aware of?

You sound retarded. How can a QB be bad at quick game? What makes a QB bad at quick game? GTFOH

If there's one thing Kaaya can do, it's throw a 5-8 yard pass.

Youre asking me how do I know what he's aware of but youre the one trying to challenge how aware he is as an offensive coordinator and head coach lol you are a clown

Brad Kaaya is terrible throwing 5-8 yard passes as well as any other pass, if you werent blind you would see that.

Hey dumb fvck...

I can SEE how unaware Richt is as an OC when I see him call "all verts" against a 6-man pressure. That's evident, I'm not guessing.

You're guessing that Richt is aware that Kaaya, a D1 QB, can't throw a 6-8 yard pass. You sound retarded, especially considering the fact that we run a ton of RPO stuff, which consists of 5-8 yard routes.

Here you go [MENTION=5857]Scorpion[/MENTION]

Enjoy.

I want yall to watch this video and take a look at how many times we ran "all verts". At 16:13 we actually run the "4 verts" concept THREE TIMES IN A ROW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj3wokAfU4Q

We end up hitting a wheel route for a TD because their CB inexplicably bites down on the post, but you can't make a living like that. It failed more times than it succeeded. We also hit a couple verts to Richards where he just flat-out makes a play. Again, you can't make a living like that. You have to diversify the passing game. Can't just live and die on verticals.

VT played Quarters the majority of the game. They switched up the way they aligned from play-to-play and made it look **** but at the end of the day it was just Cover-4 for the most part. They did a great job of taking away the flats and the verticals. When they wanted to create pressure they just played Cover-1 and sent 6 at the QB. (and we still ran all verts)

Good spread offenses have "conversion" routes, where a WR has a couple route options based on the coverage.
Ex: If the single WR in the 3x1 formation gets off-coverage he runs a hitch. If he gets press coverage he runs a vertical or slant.

I also didn't see us attempt to "hi-low" any intermediate defenders or put any defenders into a conflict.
Ex: Run a crosser in front of the LB and a dig behind him. He's being "hi-lowed", he's in a conflict. LB drives on the crosser, throw the dig behind his head. LB gets depth, throw the crosser.

Or how 'bout attacking the LB's with our RB's, like Coley did last year.
Ex: Run all the WR's on verticals (clearing out all of the DB's) and then isolate their LB on our RB with an angle route. Not many LB's can cover Yearby in the open field with a 2-way go.

No concepts at all. We're just running around trying to out-athlete people.

Would love to hear/see you tell us who's open.

6:35
It's 3rd & 3
VT is in Cover-1 and they're bringing pressure.
We run verticals. LOL

C'mon man! No good OC does that. First of all, it's only 3rd & 3. Second, VT's bringing 6. How 'bout a slant?!

Who's Kaaya supposed to throw to?! Nobody is even looking for the ball by the time he gets pressure in his face.

Advertisement
13:59
1st & 10
VT has been playing Quarters coverage all game so let's throw a 20-yard deep out to a double-teamed outside receiver while everybody else runs verticals.

Would love for somebody to tell me who's open here.

The very next play (2 & 10) is a nice play but Kaaya throws to the wrong guy.

Last edited:
This has been some of the worst playcalling I ever seen. Worst than Coley. I couldn't believe we called verticals on 3rd and 3, not one hot route and BY was pressuring us all night. Nothing to slow them down. Blame who you want but Richt is ****t!ng the bed

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
This has been some of the worst playcalling I ever seen. Worst than Coley. I couldn't believe we called verticals on 3rd and 3, not one hot route and BY was pressuring us all night. Nothing to slow them down. Blame who you want but Richt is ****t!ng the bed

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

How 'bout a slant if you're getting pressure? Or some rub routes? Or line-up in a bunch formation.

Or even better, a screen.

Where's our screen game? We ran one screen all night and it was on 3rd & 18.

Good sh*t macho, confirmed what I saw live during the game. Kaaya is not being put in a position to succeed. Obviously it's not intentional but so far the play calling has been horrible to say the least. Battling the oline for who the sorriest on team right now. Kaaya has not been as sharp as we would have liked but let's face it, when you break the sh*t down he isn't the main problem.

Last edited:
Great so what you're saying [MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION] is our Coach/OC doesn't know what **** he's doing. Great just ******* great

Great so what you're saying [MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION] is our Coach/OC doesn't know what **** he's doing. Great just ******* great

Well who am I to say that? I'm just posting my concerns, that's all. (with video evidence)

It's a bit concerning IMO.

Advertisement
Corch Macho is in here completely ignoring that Kaaya has the power to check out of a play or adjust with a hot read callout and Kaaya is doing all sorts of communicating presnap, yet it looks like he doesn't make the right calls just like he never pulls when he should on RPOs. Richt gives Kaaya a ton of responsibility at the line pre and post snap and Kaaya simply isn't handling it at the moment.

Corch Macho is in here completely ignoring that Kaaya has the power to check out of a play or adjust with a hot read callout and Kaaya is doing all sorts of communicating presnap, yet it looks like he doesn't make the right calls just like he never pulls when he should on RPOs. Richt gives Kaaya a ton of responsibility at the line pre and post snap and Kaaya simply isn't handling it at the moment.

kaaya doenst have a good feel for the game. in addition to moving slow, he process things slow.

kaaya doenst have a good feel for the game. in addition to moving slow, he process things slow.

I never thought we'd have a QB who goes through his reads slower than Morris, but Kaaya gives him a run for his money.

Last edited:
Advertisement
One of the teams my son is on is coached by an ex-Cane as well, a guy that played in the NFL for a long time. He thinks Richt is garbage as a playcaller and has no business calling plays at this point in his career.

So there you go....another "former player insider perspective" from a guy who was not only a really good offensive player for the Canes during our glory days...but who had a long and solid career in the NFL.

No one here is calling for Richt the head coach to be fired, we simply feel the evidence shows he's a horrible play caller and needs to hire a dedicated OC. If he doesn't or refuses to do so.....THEN we'll discuss canning his ***.

Last edited:
6:35
It's 3rd & 3
VT is in Cover-1 and they're bringing pressure.
We run verticals. LOL

C'mon man! No good OC does that. First of all, it's only 3rd & 3. Second, VT's bringing 6. How 'bout a slant?!

Who's Kaaya supposed to throw to?! Nobody is even looking for the ball by the time he gets pressure in his face.

The inside receiver at the top of his screen at 6:35 beats his man and Kaaya looks right at him and pulls the ball down. It looks (although I can't say 100%) that the safety is shading over the top to the other side of the field as well. That ball should have been thrown

"Coach Richt isn't putting Kaaya into the best positions to succeed, he's running verticals on 3rd and 3!!"

Lmao you all are hilarious... Brad Kaaya has only proven that he's terrible no matter what you call. We've seen the short routes on short down and distance that are executed just as poorly as the vertical routes. First you all ***** about the offense not being opened up enough, now you all are *****ing bc its too aggressive?? lol just face reality our QB is the problem he's washed up and has been since last year.

and I seriously doubt Coach Macho is even qualified to coordinate for the JUCO college in Miami, so lets not act like he knows more than Coach Richt on the side lines, clearly he doesn't.

And you know this HOW?

Advertisement
Back