Former Player Insider's Perspective

So what I'm hearing from the excuse gallery is that Kaaya is at fault for not checking out of plays.
Ok, let's look at what's wrong with that statement and why it's something that a football novice would say.

Whether Kaaya has the freedom to change a play or not is irrelevant. Richt calls the original play. Richt called all verts on 3rd & 3.

Now...

#1 - If Kaaya didn't know what play to check to on 3rd & 3 versus man coverage and a 6-man pressure (by now) guess who's fault that is.

#2 - If Richt studied film, which he obviously does, then he should know that VT likes to play man coverage and blitz on 3rd & 3-6. Those are called TENDENCIES. If you have ANY INCLINATION that VT might send 6 and play press then your original play call shouldn't be all verts!

Haven't read the entire thread ... But is it your position that no OC would call 4 verticals against a 6-man pressure, or that only bad OC's would do that?

Against single high, or cover-0 ... No good offensive team runs 4 verticals?

Against a 6-man pressure it's a bad idea, especially on 3rd & 3. Takes too long.

And there's no design to it, you're just relying on your guys to out-athlete their's.

I don't know who else does it. Doesn't really matter. There's no justifying that call.

COVER 0

I am going to assume that if you see cover 0, they are playing press and sending 7. That means you have about 1.5 seconds to get rid of the ball. You won’t be able to throw crossing routes. The goal should be to get the ball out to your guys and let them run after the catch.

Here are my favorite routes vs. Cover 0:

Ace Brown – The fade and the quick out are both great options.

Ace Red – If your guys can get off the jam, there is big play potential on the slant route.

Ace Yellow – I love the 6 yard corner route to the slot receiver.

Ace Orange – The natural crossing action of the arrow and the slant is great against press.

Ace Verticals – Pick your best match up and trust your guy to win.

Trips Black – The fade and the arrow route are both good options. The stick route can be good if you have a physical Y that can create space and post up.

The other way I would attack cover 0 is to get into trips and isolate various guys that you think have a match up advantage. Throw slants and fades all night and turn the game into a 1 on 1 drill. You only need to complete 1 out of 3 to keep the chains moving. You have to like those odds

One note here: Cover 0 is usually a down and distance adjustment for the defense. If you aren’t sure when they are going to be in Cover 0, one option is to use a dummy snap count, assess the defense and signal in a new play from the sideline if the defense does line up in 0.

PRESS COVER 1

Much like cover 0, the majority of open grass is over the top of the defense. But, because they can only bring 6 defenders, you will be able to pick up the blitz and have 3-3.5 seconds to deliver the ball. This opens up your entire playbook.

Here’s how I attack Press Cover 1:

All Cover 0 routes are in. If it worked against Cover 0, it is still a good call against Press Cover 1. The only difference is ball placement, especially on vertical routes. The other major difference is the advantage created by trips. The safety will most likely cheat to the trips side and you will have a 1 on 1 match up on the backside. Because you have protection, you can run anything you want to that 1 on 1 side.

Here’s what else I like against Press Cover 1:

Ace Orange Wheels – If the safety jumps the slant you have a 1 on 1 matchup with your slot on a backer running up the sideline. Throw it like a fade over the outside shoulder.

Ace Black – I love the RB out the backfield. The stick route creates a natural pick on the ILB trying to get out to the flat.

Ace Mesh – Crossing routes are great vs. Press.

Ace Levels (all variations) – Again, crossing routes kill Man Coverage. I especially like Z and X levels because the CB has to run all the way across the field to stay with the shallow cross.

Trips Right Mesh Z Post H Wheel – This is probably my favorite route against Press cover 1. First of all, the mesh creates a natural pick and either your Y or your X will get open on the rub. Second, the safety will stay home and cover the post and the wheel should be wide open up the sideline. Call this play at least 5 times against Cover 1.

Trips Right Black X Post (or insert your favorite route…curl, comeback, dig, whatever!) – Make the defense declare. If they play 3 on 3 on the trips side and the safety stays in the middle, throw Black all the way down the field. If the safety cheats to the trips side, call 1 on 1 routes to your X. Remember, you can mix up who lines up at X. Keep your guys fresh and let everyone exploit the match up.

Ace H Option – If your H can shake their OLB, you should have the option route all night. But, the big plays on this route will come to your Y on the crossing route. If the safety jumps the Y, the X should be open on the post over the top.

We'll agree to disagree if you think the concept of 4 verticals takes too long against a 6-man pressure.

Just because we couldn't execute it doesn't make it a bad call. That's just playing the results.

And the quoted text is from a tutorial on how to beat man coverage, which suggests its a pretty standard play against cover 0 and single high.

My man...

VT wasn't playing press-man, they were playing "catch" man. They were absorbing our routes not pressing. This makes it much harder to get vertical and it takes longer to get open. When a defense is playing catch-man and you run vertical you're only helping them.

We did this SEVERAL times, not once. We showed no other solutions on 3rd & short/medium.

As far as that tutorial is concerned, it just proves my point. Notice how they list several other options/solutions before they talk about verts. They MENTIONED 4-verts, they didn't say it was a "go to" call.

Advertisement
[MENTION=4921]MIATL[/MENTION] I'm not saying it's a foreign concept and that it's always a bad call. (or that it's unheard of)

However, the frequency at which we used it was no bueno.

I appreciate you disagreeing like an adult though rather than just calling people stupid and blah blah blah. That's the way it should be.

Exactly [MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION]...4-Verts is a Cover-3 beater, period. Ain't no seams vs Covers 0 & 4...that $h!t was amateur hour.

Exactly [MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION]...4-Verts is a Cover-3 beater, period. Ain't no seams vs Covers 0 & 4...that $h!t was amateur hour.

Ain't no "open" throws, you're relying on your guys to make a play. Once in a while that's fun but to rely on it the way we did is just silly.

Macho spitting truth. LOL at dudes trying to defend 4 verts on 3rd and 3 against constant 6 man pressures that you're not blocking up.

Then, the agenda guys take the LOL a step farther by blaming Kaaya for not being Rick's co-OC and vetoing his lame calls.

Rick is grab-bagging because he's overwhelmed by the task of playcalling from the sidelines while also HCing after not doing it for ten years. His calls and routes are too basic.

Advertisement
Macho spitting truth. LOL at dudes trying to defend 4 verts on 3rd and 3 against constant 6 man pressures that you're not blocking up.

Then, the agenda guys take the LOL a step farther by blaming Kaaya for not being Rick's co-OC and vetoing his lame calls.

Rick is grab-bagging because he's overwhelmed by the task of playcalling from the sidelines while also HCing after not doing it for ten years. His calls and routes are too basic.

:ibis-roflmao-sm3::ibis-roflmao-sm3::ibis-roflmao-sm3:

Come on now, it's on Kaaya to not change the playcall. It's on Richt for not preparing him better I guess, but a HS level QB makes some kind of adjustment there, but Kaaya does nada.

Macho killing on this page.

Richts lack of usage of the middle of the field, especially on 3rd downs, is mind blowing. Coley was bad, Richt is taking it to a new level.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back