Ford updates progress, ready for bigger role in 2018

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Sophomore defensive tackle Jon Ford is part of an interior defensive line unit that lost some serious production from last season. After RJ McIntosh and Kendrick Norton left early for the NFL, Miami has been left a little thin at DT for 2018, and is counting on Ford to help replace that production.

“Everything’s been going good, I’m just learning to execute more and getting ready to play,” Ford said on his fall camp.

The sophomore from Dillard is now up to 6’5” 305 pounds and recorded just one tackle last year in limited snaps. What exactly has he improved on from last season that will make him more formidable in 2018?

“Blocking assignment recognition has gotten better for me, I’m hitting blocks better,” Ford said. “My get-off has improved and I’m moving better. So, I feel good about all that.”

Even though many expected Ford to take over for one of McIntosh or Norton in the starting lineup, by all accounts, he finished fall camp as the fourth DT in the rotation. What do the coaches tell Ford that he must do to work his way up the depth chart?

“Just working on my primary gaps, working on seeing the field better, and staying consistent,” Ford said.

The offensive line has gotten consistent praise from the coaching staff this fall for steadily improving and proving clean pockets for the QB’s. Ford agrees with that and can’t choose just one standout from the group.

“Everybody’s been working and doing their thing in practice, so I can’t pick out just one,” Ford said. “The O-Line has been coming hard.”

The Canes will open their season against LSU on Sunday at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Playing in a big environment against an SEC opponent to start the year has certainly gotten Ford’s attention and gives him a little extra juice evert day.

“It motivates me every day,” Ford said on the LSU game. “Just making sure I come out to practice and do everything right and make the best decisions on the field. We just getting ready. We grinding right now, but we’re going to be ready.”

Advertisement
In person the kid is huge, if he gets the mental aspect of the game He will play a lot this year and can start next!

I really enjoy your articles. One thing I would like to see is the pictures on the main board also posted with the article itself so you can see it larger.

Ford has a lot of upside just needs things to slow down for him and he could be a monster. But I still think he has the ability to play some quality snaps for us this season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back