For Very Old Timers

Advertisement
You're right that the apartments we're talking about -- for dorms -- were pretty spacious.

My memory, though, is how there was no air conditioning, at least when I was there. I bought one of those old cube-shaped "fan units" at Zayre's where you poured cold water in a tray over the coils. Some referred to it as a "swamper." I sat it in a chair aimed at my bed and it blew full strength on me all night. Only way to sleep on hot nights. I think, by contrast, the high-rise residence halls had AC.

I never lived there but I think Eaton Hall was all guys and Mahoney all girls. Only time I went to Eaton was to watch NCAA sports or music shows like Shin-Dig or Hullabaloo (I played in a band) on the TV in their lounge.

Beaches: Crandon, or the 1st Street beach on MB south of the pier by the Dog Track parking lot.

Food: Shorty's was a staple but, am sure you're aware, the original burned down (1972??). Having a sweet tooth, was also partial to the Key Lime pie at Tyler's. And Lum's for a hot dog now and then. Ate Italian (at least for Miami), at the old Red Diamond Inn on LeJeune (Canes broadcaster Sonny Hirsch frequented the place).
Regarding the apartments on campus, I can tell you that mine definitely did not have air conditioning, but I’m sure I tolerated much better at 18, 19, etc than I would now at 73!!! The few times I visited the “standard” dorm rooms, I much preferred the apartment living even without A/C. We had a group of us who loved poker and we would rotate from one apartment to another.

And back in those days, we had pretty good concert crowds at the open plaza beside the pool. I remember Jackie Gleason arriving in his limo one night.

While Shorty’s was a gathering place, my pick for BBQ was Flynn’s Dixie Ribs on Dixie Hwy about (my guess) 15/20 or so miles south of UM. And I agree, spent a lot of time at Lum’s and Tyler’s back in the day. And loved heading to the Jai Alai fronton out near the airport. What a life…..

appreciate the pictures. We crossed US-1 all the time too. Dennys was the late night spot, along with Wendys and papa johns. During the day, moon thai was a big hit, same with Whole foods(the hot bar or the asian place inside of it), Fridays, Chicken grill, Miamis best(I believe was the name of the pizza place across from red road, people loved their wraps), bagel emporium for breakfast or einsteins(further up US-1 but walkable). And of course Crown liqour since they didn't really check for IDs lol.
Funny Crown Liquors story. The FIRST time they checked me for ID was ironically enough, on my 21st birthday. No, I'm not joking. I started buying booze there as a 17 year old freshman( I guess my full beard threw them off), I got to be on a first name basis with most of the staff. On my 21st, I stopped in to buy a handle of Beefeater Gin, following dinner at Dan Marino's over in Sunset Place(Still remember the surf and turf I had that night). I come in, get greeted, pick up my handle, and for the first time ever, they ask me for ID. They look at it, look at me, say "Happy Birthday" and then go over and hand me the largest bottle of Patron silver as a birthday present. Love that store, and I was loyal to them throughout grad and law school. Even when Total Wine opened up, I would still buy my liquor from Crown, even though I bought beer from TW.

Nope that was Fox’s Lounge.

Semper Canes!!!
Fox's was a **** good spot. PBR Tuesdays was my jam back when I was working at Tony Roma's. I would usually walk home from the restaurant on Tuesdays(Sometimes I'd bum a ride home with one of the bartenders), stop over at Fox's and have a couple of "Stress Relief" beers. Even though I usually didn't fit the typical Fox's customer, the people were always nice and I had some good pulls out of there chick wise...

Funny Crown Liquors story. The FIRST time they checked me for ID was ironically enough, on my 21st birthday. No, I'm not joking. I started buying booze there as a 17 year old freshman( I guess my full beard threw them off), I got to be on a first name basis with most of the staff. On my 21st, I stopped in to buy a handle of Beefeater Gin, following dinner at Dan Marino's over in Sunset Place(Still remember the surf and turf I had that night). I come in, get greeted, pick up my handle, and for the first time ever, they ask me for ID. They look at it, look at me, say "Happy Birthday" and then go over and hand me the largest bottle of Patron silver as a birthday present. Love that store, and I was loyal to them throughout grad and law school. Even when Total Wine opened up, I would still buy my liquor from Crown, even though I bought beer from TW.
That is hilarious. They were like "congrats on turning 21, even though we have been serving you for the past 4 years" lol. I don't even know if the TW was built when I was there I don't remember it at all., Everyone I know went to the crown and if they got denied(which almost never happened) they would go up US1 towards the chipotle. and there was an even sketchier liquor store that served everyone.

Advertisement
That is hilarious. They were like "congrats on turning 21, even though we have been serving you for the past 4 years" lol. I don't even know if the TW was built when I was there I don't remember it at all., Everyone I know went to the crown and if they got denied(which almost never happened) they would go up US1 towards the chipotle. and there was an even sketchier liquor store that served everyone.
Total Wine became a thing when I hit grad school. That became our stock up spot, once we started hitting PCB for Spring Break. We'd go every Saturday and buy cases of PBR and High Life. By the time we loaded up the truck for the drive up, we'd have 30-40 cases of beer to split between 3-4 guys. Good way to stretch your drinking dollar!

Total Wine became a thing when I hit grad school. That became our stock up spot, once we started hitting PCB for Spring Break. We'd go every Saturday and buy cases of PBR and High Life. By the time we loaded up the truck for the drive up, we'd have 30-40 cases of beer to split between 3-4 guys. Good way to stretch your drinking dollar!
Around what year was that, if you don't mind me asking. I am trying to figure out if it was after I graduated, because I don't remember if being there. But ya that was a good idea to get your beer from there. IDK if it changed, but you couldn't find 30 racks when I was at Miami. so we got stuck buying little cases of beer which ended up costing a lot more.

Regarding the apartments on campus, I can tell you that mine definitely did not have air conditioning, but I’m sure I tolerated much better at 18, 19, etc than I would now at 73!!! The few times I visited the “standard” dorm rooms, I much preferred the apartment living even without A/C. We had a group of us who loved poker and we would rotate from one apartment to another.

And back in those days, we had pretty good concert crowds at the open plaza beside the pool. I remember Jackie Gleason arriving in his limo one night.

While Shorty’s was a gathering place, my pick for BBQ was Flynn’s Dixie Ribs on Dixie Hwy about (my guess) 15/20 or so miles south of UM. And I agree, spent a lot of time at Lum’s and Tyler’s back in the day. And loved heading to the Jai Alai fronton out near the airport. What a life…..

Used to go to Tony Roma's and not eat. They had a couple of really good drink special nights that would crank. We'd get ripped.

Advertisement
Around what year was that, if you don't mind me asking. I am trying to figure out if it was after I graduated, because I don't remember if being there. But ya that was a good idea to get your beer from there. IDK if it changed, but you couldn't find 30 racks when I was at Miami. so we got stuck buying little cases of beer which ended up costing a lot more.
That was like 2012.

Used to go to Tony Roma's and not eat. They had a couple of really good drink special nights that would crank. We'd get ripped.
Yep, I heard stories about Tony Roma's back in the 80s when I worked there in undergrad. We had some long time staff that said that UMiami kids used to take that joint over. By the time I got there, it was just a regular chain restaurant, inside a really disgusting building. Oh the stories I could tell about how awful that building was in regards to what was going on behind closed doors.

Yep, I heard stories about Tony Roma's back in the 80s when I worked there in undergrad. We had some long time staff that said that UMiami kids used to take that joint over. By the time I got there, it was just a regular chain restaurant, inside a really disgusting building. Oh the stories I could tell about how awful that building was in regards to what was going on behind closed doors.
True story - went there many years ago with ex wife before it closed. Eating at our table and a giant palmetto bug (roach) dropped from the ceiling, hit our table, and darted underneath it while we sat there shocked. Wife handled it well considering it ran towards her side.

Fun place. For a brief moment I used to enjoy their all you can eat ribs, but never went to that location again.

Advertisement
My buddy stole the welcome mat to that Tony Romas and still has it in his garage today.
That place was filthy though.

Semper Canes!!!

My buddy stole the welcome mat to that Tony Romas and still has it in his garage today.
That place was filthy though.

Semper Canes!!!
I still have the last order slip I ever took on the last day I worked there. I remember them calling me to tell me that they were shutting down. I was unemployed for a grand total of 3 hours...My roommate got me hooked up with a gig at Chili's.

And yes, it was filthy as ****.

Advertisement
University of Miami campus map, Oct 1991
1660410582743.png

Did you live in on-campus housing when you attended UM? If so, were any of you McKInley RATS?
I Lived in the 3rd dorm down on the left on ****erson Dr. (in the middle on the 2nd floor) which were the "married dorms" - a lot of athletes were married during that time. They were torn down some years ago. . A pic was posted of them tearing them down. Our dorm was the one closest to the little bridge that went over to the practice field, Hecht Center, etc. When I got bored I would go over to the practice field & watch my husband practice. Across the street was the co-ed dorm. I am an OLD timer and was @ UM from 1957 thru graduation in 1961. Fran Curci was the QB & the coach was Andy Gustafson, Jim Otto, 00 center for the Raiders lived with his wife in the middle dorm. I remember when Curci was inducted into Iron & Arrow. **See below my continued post.
I lived in campus housing from 1963-65, then moved off-campus. Think my 3 story, garden apartment-style building (now razed of course) was at the corner of ****inson and Ponce. At the eastern edge of the campus. Three scholarship basketball players lived right above me on the top (3rd) floor. The suites in all these three story buildings (and there were a LOT of them all over campus) had 2 br and 1 bath. Three students per suite (so someone had a private bedroom). Had a kitchen and a spacious living room.

There were a few high-rise residence halls -- Eaton & Mahoney. That was it, iirc.

Quick walk from my apartment across Dixie Hwy to Breeding's Drugs (good breakfasts), my bank and Burger King. Ben Gaines' Holiday Inn was at the southern edge of that strip mall across Dixie. The Student Union and pool was constructed in 1964-65 while I was on campus.

I was proof that admissions standards back then at "Sun Tan U" were pretty **** low. They needed all the students (and their parents' money) they could get back then to finance a building program. Think the annual tuition/room & board was in the $3000 range, give or take a few hundred.
My husband and I lived in the "married" dorms on ****erson Dr. 1957-61 and he was under full football scholarship and was told it was valued @$4,000/yr. They also purchased his annual each year and upon graduation presented him with a beautiful class ring. We married at age 19 just before he started @ UM and we remained married for 42 years till his death. We attended a 25th reunion of the class of '61@ Miami and won a silver cup for the longest marriage to the same person. I attended school in the evening and worked @ what was then called Variety Children's Hospital off Red Rd. near the campus. I loved UM and Miami. There was a panty raid on campus, plus someone set up a lit huge arrow on a roof of a building & shot it off after a football game that we won. A big group of us went up to Lauderdale for spring break which was absolutely wild & crazy and loads of fun.. I am now 84 and still love the 'Canes & as long as I can stay upright will continue to come down for at least one or 2 games a year. I attended the last game in the Orange Bowl (so sad) & had the pleasure of meeting "The Rock" & sat next to Snelly's son & family. UM was honoring all football players who had every played @ Miami. Over these 65 years, I have experienced extreme bad times and ultra great times. All things evolve, so my guess is that within 3 years, we will be back to the ultra great times. GO 'CANES.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back