For Very Old Timers

They used to have a cool little cinema (Riviera) right across US1. My (now) wife and I say Home Alone 2 there in what had to be the smallest movie theater screen in the world. That screen could not have been more than 8 feet wide. It’s gone now, I believe, but the owners went all out in dressing that place up for major releases.
I am almost 100% sure its gone. IIRC when kids wanted to go to the movie theater at Miami they would drive up US1. The opposite way from going downtown(I forget the cardinal direction now) and there was a pretty big cinema there.

Advertisement
I am almost 100% sure its gone. IIRC when kids wanted to go to the movie theater at Miami they would drive up US1. The opposite way from going downtown(I forget the cardinal direction now) and there was a pretty big cinema there.
There used to be a Super Saver Cinema out west on Bird or Miller that we'd hit up too. Tickets were like $2 and you could sneak a 6 pack in without issue. I think I saw a Schwarzenegger movie there like 18 months after its initial theatrical release.

There used to be a Super Saver Cinema out west on Bird or Miller that we'd hit up too. Tickets were like $2 and you could sneak a 6 pack in without issue. I think I saw a Schwarzenegger movie there like 18 months after its initial theatrical release.
The only time I saw a movie at Miami, in a theater, was at the on campus theater, but if we had a 2$ spot, that you could sneak beer into. I probably would have hit that up haha. The only one that I knew of, was a legit like AMC type theater.

I don't even think we had a commuter bridge when I was there about 9-10 years ago. None of those spots even existed when I was there besides Bagel Emporium and Wendys(as far as I know). But we used to sprint across US-1 on a regular basis to get to Dennys, papa johns, etc. I didn't think anything of it then, but I guess it was pretty dangerous.
It got built around 2017. Before then, going to TGI Fridays, CVS or anything else was taking a risk, especially late night. That TGIs was my pregame spot, good place to pick up some strange before hitting the Grove...

The only time I saw a movie at Miami, in a theater, was at the on campus theater, but if we had a 2$ spot, that you could sneak beer into. I probably would have hit that up haha. The only one that I knew of, was a legit like AMC type theater.
Haha. It was great. I think it was on like Bird and 100th. So it was like 5+ miles from campus but tickets were $2 (after they raised them from $1), I remember popcorn/soda being similarly discounted and the 15 yr old ushers didn't give a **** what you brought in.

Advertisement
It got built around 2017. Before then, going to TGI Fridays, CVS or anything else was taking a risk, especially late night. That TGIs was my pregame spot, good place to pick up some strange before hitting the Grove...
Ya I was gone by then. So we just used to cut across it lol. TGI was great during happy hour though for picking up girls. Another great spot, but I heard it closed down recently was chicken grill. Next door.

Haha. It was great. I think it was on like Bird and 100th. So it was like 5+ miles from campus but tickets were $2 (after they raised them from $1), I remember popcorn/soda being similarly discounted and the 15 yr old ushers didn't give a **** what you brought in.
That is awesome. Ya I am pretty sure that didn't exist when I was there, because I am sure someone would have told me about it. Sounds great though, IDK how they stayed in business with those prices haha.

Advertisement
That chicken joint was good stuff. Get a ton of chicken and rice, would have leftovers for days.
**** ya 100%. Great place. I will never forget how that owner(I think) the bald headed dude that looked like Bas Rutten, would always overcharge random students because they would pay without checking the price on the menu. He knew not to try that on me, because I would call him out haha.

For those of you who attended in the late 60's and early 70's. I hope you remember what an awesome concert program we had. We had some of the best folk music and rock bands in the country come down and entertain us.

Advertisement
The commuter lots? Yeah, there weren't a lot of trees over there, if any. I think Bosie Foote tried to plant some trees in those lots, and they didn't make it.
Yes, and even on the other side of the building as well near the Ashe building.

Side note about that lot. My first day of classes I parked and got a great spot pretty close to the building. I started walking to class and a whole flock of ****atiels who'd been making a racket took off from a tree ahead of me. There must have been over a hundred of them. Gotta love Parrot Jungle.

OC, there was a classmate of mine, Ashley Kelly, that got hit and killed at that crosswalk, by some jackass on her phone. The jackass actually got away with it, she didn't serve any significant time. I joined SG the next year, and despite the young lady's family fighting alongside us and whatnot, we couldn't get that overpass built, mostly because the City of Coral Gables didn't want to do it, and that shopping center across the street didn't want to give up any land to make it happen. It took a long, long time but by the time I finished Law School, they had it completed. Whenever I visit campus, I make it a point to cross that bridge.

By the way, I still have my Blockbuster Card that I got from that Blockbuster right across the street from campus. Man, those were the days.

Yeah, and it's things like this that have caused my frustration with UM and the BOT.

We, as students, lived there, we knew the problems. We joined Student Government, we created platforms that included "pedestrian bridge" as something we wanted to accomplish. And nothing got done for 25 years.

Yes, you are correct, Coral Gables was problematic, and those a$$holes that owned University Center didn't want to give up SIX parking spots for a landing spot for the bridge. But at the same time, we had multiple CRAZY-RICH Trustees who could have used their money to BUY the University Center shopping center or their political power to humiliate the Coral Gables commission and shame them into doing something.

There was always a solution through government action. Coral Gables could have acquired more land for parking, created more street parking, worked with Citibank to allow nighttime parking in the Citibank parking lot. You name it, but nobody did it.

If memory serves, we had a total of 3 students who died in the 25 years that nobody acted. I have no idea how many non-UM students may have died crossing US 1 in that general vicinity as well. ****, there should be a pedestrian bridge over US-1 at EVERY Metro stop that runs along US-1. Douglas Road, Coconut Grove, Vizcaya. South Miami, Dadeland North, Dadeland South. Why are there not SEVEN pedestrian bridges over US-1?

Ah, the Cosford Cinema. It was named after a film school professor who passed away. I remember one night going with friends to a 1950s 3D film marathon and walking back to Hecht wearing the 3D glasses.

Advertisement
I arrived on campus in 1966 and was indeed LUCKY enough to also land in one of the garden apartment-style buildings, 2 BR, I bath, but with a small kitchen area a decent size living room as well. When I saw how small and cramped the “new” dorm rooms were, I was glad to be in the “old” apartment unit for sure!

While I’m now retired and live in Virginia, I make it back most every year for at least one game in Miami and every time, I make a compulsory trip to Shorty’s BBQ. It is the only thing still standing that has not changed since 1966. My kids and grandkids who have made the trips to see a Canes game with me, all know that a lunch visit to Shorty’s is mandatory.

Great memories!!!
You're right that the apartments we're talking about -- for dorms -- were pretty spacious.

My memory, though, is how there was no air conditioning, at least when I was there. I bought one of those old cube-shaped "fan units" at Zayre's where you poured cold water in a tray over the coils. Some referred to it as a "swamper." I sat it in a chair aimed at my bed and it blew full strength on me all night. Only way to sleep on hot nights. I think, by contrast, the high-rise residence halls had AC.

I never lived there but I think Eaton Hall was all guys and Mahoney all girls. Only time I went to Eaton was to watch NCAA sports or music shows like Shin-Dig or Hullabaloo (I played in a band) on the TV in their lounge.

Beaches: Crandon, or the 1st Street beach on MB south of the pier by the Dog Track parking lot.

Food: Shorty's was a staple but, am sure you're aware, the original burned down (1972??). Having a sweet tooth, was also partial to the Key Lime pie at Tyler's. And Lum's for a hot dog now and then. Ate Italian (at least for Miami), at the old Red Diamond Inn on LeJeune (Canes broadcaster Sonny Hirsch frequented the place).

Last edited:
Ah, the Cosford Cinema. It was named after a film school professor who passed away. I remember one night going with friends to a 1950s 3D film marathon and walking back to Hecht wearing the 3D glasses.
The drill team would practice on the patio there on some Thursday nights. Sometimes it was hard to hear the prof over them outside.

I don't even think we had a commuter bridge when I was there about 9-10 years ago. None of those spots even existed when I was there besides Bagel Emporium and Wendys(as far as I know). But we used to sprint across US-1 on a regular basis to get to Dennys, papa johns, etc. I didn't think anything of it then, but I guess it was pretty dangerous.

All those places still exist, but there may be different businesses there now. Burger King is now a noodles market. D'Pizza and Velvet Creme and Miami Heroes have turned into a Starbucks and a Thai/Japanese place. Blockbuster is now a CVS. Specs is, what, a Papa Johns, but Swensons JUST closed down recently.

Yes, the names may change, but there's always going to be stuff across US-1 that caters to UM students. Shake Shack wasn't there when I was a UM student, but it's there now.

Riviera used to be the primary movie spot. Saw many movies there. There was a small place on Miracle Mile, they closed it in the mid-to-late 80s. When Cocowalk was built in the late 80s/early 90s, they put in a big theater, and that became the primary spot for movies, and Riviera slowly died.

Advertisement
Back