Move in day August 1991 at Hecht.
1652664812185.png

More on-campus pics from immediately after Wide Right 1:
1652665158235.png
1652665179973.png
1652665238371.png
1652665258524.png

1652665307641.png

This was taken on the new move in day in Sep 1992, two weeks after Hurricane Andrew. You can still see the storm damage.

1652664612334.png

Professor Paul Lazarus (UM Film School) with his wolf-hybrid Charlie at Hecht, fall 1992.

1652664694553.png

Advertisement
Freshman Year: 7th Floor Pearson(Yes, I was on the floor when the song dropped, remember hearing it from my suitemate)
Soph Year(Fall Semester): 1st Floor Mahoney(I have no idea how I ended up on the 1st floor, but it was annoying as ****)

After the fall semester, I moved off campus.

7th floor of Mahoney-Pearson had the extra high ceilings. Loved living up there, you could build a loft and have plenty of space for you and your female guest(s).

1st floor of Mahoney-Pearson sucked, you had to go up that half-flight of stairs. You didn't even get the move-in-move-out benefit of being on the ground floor (like you did if you lived in the apartments), you still had to take the elevator if you had something that you couldn't move up/down stairs. I had a friend in a wheelchair, he would have to wait on that special 1R elevator if we were visiting friends on the 1st floor of M-P.

Oh, and the trash-chute fires in Mahoney-Pearson. Because more people lived on each floor of Mahoney-Pearson than Hecht-Stanford, you would get people dropping stuff in the trash chute that would clog it up, and then some dumb-a$$ would drop something flammable down the trash chute. You sometimes got smoke coming out of those first floor hallways, even though there was supposed to be a sprinkler system inside of the trash chutes.

LMFAO this looks exactly like how it looked whenI lived in it in 2011.Even the cabinets look the same and the weird couch like side to the beds.
Those couch like sides were very sturdy. They held many a loft.

1652665518372.png

Here's a loft that didn't work:
1652665578502.png

Here's another loft that didn't use the couches for support, but turned out fairly well.

1652665676019.png

This is one is one of my wife's (then girlfriend) pictures. This loft was really high - the tallest I ever saw at UM:

1652665899881.png

Here's a few others.

View attachment 185937
View attachment 185938
Opposite end of dorm room:
View attachment 185944
ROTC traversing inlet leading to Lake Osceola, fall 1990:
View attachment 185945

View attachment 185941

View attachment 185946View attachment 185947View attachment 185948View attachment 185949
View attachment 185954
This was taken on the new move in day in Sep 1992, two weeks after Hurricane Andrew. You can still see the storm damage.

View attachment 185939

Professor Paul Lazarus (UM Film School) with his wolf-hybrid Charlie at Hecht, fall 1992.

View attachment 185940

Good lord, you're bringing back the Vietnam flashbacks now...

That first picture was like the view from my dorm for my first three years. I lived in Eaton, 2nd floor, right above that side entrance door that went out towards the Student Union, so I looked directly over towards the pool.

I forgot about all those "amenities" you had in Hecht-Stanford. That cheesey corkboard by the door. A thermostat that wasn't up by the ceiling like in Eaton. TWO mirrors (we just had one next to the shared bathroom door). Towel racks (ours were inside the shared bathroom). But you did have smaller closets. My last semester in Eaton, my roommate moved off campus and I got stuck with some weird guy who moved into the closet (no joke). He kept weird hours and wanted to sleep most of the day.

The Hecht-Stanford loading docks. Oh lord, that was the most insane spot on campus every August and May. People almost died from all the move-in/move-out parking disputes.

And the old foam-covered-in-plastic mattresses. I was in President's 100, every time I had to host a high-school kid, the Housing Department would drop off one of those mattresses for some high school "recruit" to sleep on. Just FYI, they no longer allow that at UM.

I'm pretty sure people are not going to understand all the toilet paper. Correct me if I"m wrong, but didn't Hecht-Stanford have the MASSIVE industrial-size toilet paper rolls in the community bathrooms? I know that Eaton and Mahoney-Pearson just had the small rolls in the shared bathrooms, we would hae to go down to the front desk and ask for rolls of toilet paper. Granted, some of us hoarded some for special TP occasions, but I think Hecht-Stanford had the bigger rolls and the taller buildings to allow for a truly...special...toilet papering experience...

Advertisement
A few more photos.

Hecht, Fall 1990:
1652666931059.png

Hecht attendees to Eric Adams Memorial Service
1652666994569.png

Gulf War lecture by Doctor Krenn, Feb 1991
1652667122684.png

Hecht hallway and spilled milk 1991
1652667191920.png

A refrigerator that a student just left on the walkway that connected Hecht to the (rusting) stairways

1652667240984.png

Lake Osceola, 1991
1652667309346.png

Fall 1991
1652667429726.png

Shortly after Wide Right 1, with one of the giant Hecht/Stanford toilet paper rolls.

1652667533381.png

I lived in campus housing from 1963-65, then moved off-campus. Think my 3 story, garden apartment-style building (now razed of course) was at the corner of ****inson and Ponce. At the eastern edge of the campus. Three scholarship basketball players lived right above me on the top (3rd) floor. The suites in all these three story buildings (and there were a LOT of them all over campus) had 2 br and 1 bath. Three students per suite (so someone had a private bedroom). Had a kitchen and a spacious living room.

There were a few high-rise residence halls -- Eaton & Mahoney. That was it, iirc.

Quick walk from my apartment across Dixie Hwy to Breeding's Drugs (good breakfasts), my bank and Burger King. Ben Gaines' Holiday Inn was at the southern edge of that strip mall across Dixie. The Student Union and pool was constructed in 1964-65 while I was on campus.

I was proof that admissions standards back then at "Sun Tan U" were pretty **** low. They needed all the students (and their parents' money) they could get back then to finance a building program. Think the annual tuition/room & board was in the $3000 range, give or take a few hundred.
I arrived on campus in 1966 and was indeed LUCKY enough to also land in one of the garden apartment-style buildings, 2 BR, I bath, but with a small kitchen area a decent size living room as well. When I saw how small and cramped the “new” dorm rooms were, I was glad to be in the “old” apartment unit for sure!

While I’m now retired and live in Virginia, I make it back most every year for at least one game in Miami and every time, I make a compulsory trip to Shorty’s BBQ. It is the only thing still standing that has not changed since 1966. My kids and grandkids who have made the trips to see a Canes game with me, all know that a lunch visit to Shorty’s is mandatory.

Great memories!!!

A few more photos.

Hecht, Fall 1990:
View attachment 185964

Hecht attendees to Eric Adams Memorial Service
View attachment 185965
Gulf War lecture by Doctor Krenn, Feb 1991
View attachment 185966
Hecht hallway and spilled milk 1991
View attachment 185967

A refrigerator that a student just left on the walkway that connected Hecht to the (rusting) stairways

View attachment 185968

Lake Osceola, 1991
View attachment 185969
Fall 1991
View attachment 185970
Shortly after Wide Right 1, with one of the giant Hecht/Stanford toilet paper rolls.

View attachment 185971

Holy cow, one of my fraternity brothers is in the back row of that Eric Adams memorial photo.

Here's a few others.

View attachment 185937
View attachment 185938
Opposite end of dorm room:
View attachment 185944
ROTC traversing inlet leading to Lake Osceola, fall 1990:
View attachment 185945

View attachment 185941

View attachment 185946View attachment 185947View attachment 185948View attachment 185949
View attachment 185954

View attachment 185939

View attachment 185940
I used to park over by the memorial building. Over there the trees had a lot fewer leaves if my memory is correct.

Advertisement
Holy cow, one of my fraternity brothers is in the back row of that Eric Adams memorial photo.
I felt so bad for him and his family. I had gone up to Broward that weekend to see my girlfriend (who came to UM the following year) and when I returned on Sunday I walked into the Hecht lobby to see the notification about Eric’s funeral.

I used to park over by the memorial building. Over there the trees had a lot fewer leaves if my memory is correct.

The commuter lots? Yeah, there weren't a lot of trees over there, if any. I think Bosie Foote tried to plant some trees in those lots, and they didn't make it.

I felt so bad for him and his family. I had gone up to Broward that weekend to see my girlfriend (who came to UM the following year) and when I returned on Sunday I walked into the Hecht lobby to see the notification about Eric’s funeral.

Yeah, that was 1990, right? I was in Student Government at the time, we tried really hard to get UM to agree to building a pedestrian overpass. Only took, what, 25 years?

At least times have changed, and the UM Administration actually cares about on-campus safety now. Back in the 80s/90s, we would have to take UM administrators on walking tours of the campus at night to show them how dark certain areas were, in order to convince them to put up more street lights and emergency phones.

Used to take my life into my hands all the time, running over to BK, D'Pizza, Velvet Creme, Miami Heroes, Blockbuster, Bagel Emporium, Specs, Swensons, and Wendy's.

Yeah, that was 1990, right? I was in Student Government at the time, we tried really hard to get UM to agree to building a pedestrian overpass. Only took, what, 25 years?

At least times have changed, and the UM Administration actually cares about on-campus safety now. Back in the 80s/90s, we would have to take UM administrators on walking tours of the campus at night to show them how dark certain areas were, in order to convince them to put up more street lights and emergency phones.

Used to take my life into my hands all the time, running over to BK, D'Pizza, Velvet Creme, Miami Heroes, Blockbuster, Bagel Emporium, Specs, Swensons, and Wendy's.
Yep, November 1990. I’m glad the situation was finally fixed.

Eric was a cool guy.

Advertisement

OC, there was a classmate of mine, Ashley Kelly, that got hit and killed at that crosswalk, by some jackass on her phone. The jackass actually got away with it, she didn't serve any significant time. I joined SG the next year, and despite the young lady's family fighting alongside us and whatnot, we couldn't get that overpass built, mostly because the City of Coral Gables didn't want to do it, and that shopping center across the street didn't want to give up any land to make it happen. It took a long, long time but by the time I finished Law School, they had it completed. Whenever I visit campus, I make it a point to cross that bridge.

By the way, I still have my Blockbuster Card that I got from that Blockbuster right across the street from campus. Man, those were the days.

A bunch of us were hanging out that night, don't remember what we were doing. Eric and somebody else decided to go over to Denny's and he got hit by a car. He was always talking about how he wanted to go home and attend Iowa, I think Miami just wasn't for him. Always wished he'd bailed on Miami before that night.

Glad to hear they got that done, it was crazy dangerous crossing the road there, and we did it all the time.

Advertisement
188994_521042095407_6751_n.jpg

Some damage after Wilma. ****, that storm wasn't a joke, I ended up hanging out and sitting in a tree for an afternoon, all to win a 20 dollar bet..

223322_521042185227_3770_n.jpg

Day before moveout day. Yep, I didn't get a laptop until my trusty desktop died in 2006.

228512_521042190217_4095_n.jpg

The closet. Guess it was laundry day. note the Vice City poster, still remember playing Vice City and John Square coming in and playing(He was cool as a fan, taught me a ton playing NCAA Football on the PS2). We used to play "Missions until you died, then you passed the sticks"

I don't even think we had a commuter bridge when I was there about 9-10 years ago. None of those spots even existed when I was there besides Bagel Emporium and Wendys(as far as I know). But we used to sprint across US-1 on a regular basis to get to Dennys, papa johns, etc. I didn't think anything of it then, but I guess it was pretty dangerous.

You mean like the Married Couple's area? No, but I got a picture of it in 1992 as it was being torn down near Hecht.

View attachment 185917
This is an awesome thread! Love all these pics!

DEFINITELY not bringing politics in here but the married couples housing actually played a part in raising a future SCOTUS justice. Ketanji Brown Jackson lived in there as a little kid when her dad was at UM (Law, I believe).

But carry on. Kinda feel motivated to go look for some Stanford photos now. Well at least the ones able to be shared due to statute of limitations having passed.

I don't even think we had a commuter bridge when I was there about 9-10 years ago. None of those spots even existed when I was there besides Bagel Emporium and Wendys(as far as I know). But we used to sprint across US-1 on a regular basis to get to Dennys, papa johns, etc. I didn't think anything of it then, but I guess it was pretty dangerous.
They used to have a cool little cinema (Riviera) right across US1. My (now) wife and I say Home Alone 2 there in what had to be the smallest movie theater screen in the world. That screen could not have been more than 8 feet wide. It’s gone now, I believe, but the owners went all out in dressing that place up for major releases.

Advertisement
Back