For those who've seen Perry and Weldon LIVE

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
In the spirit of DMoney's earlier thread, I'd like to get some opinions from any and all posters who've seen either N'Kosi Perry or Cade Weldon in live game action.

This is not a "who will start over whom" thread. I just want opinions on these two QBs individually from those who've seen them play. Thanks!

Advertisement
I saw Weldon play twice this year against Jesuit High School. The first game I came away impressed by his athleticism. He hurt them more with his running ability than anything else. Part of that was because he was running for his life. He showed flashes of arm strength and the ability to throw accurately. I left that game not sure how much he could help the program. The second time I saw him was his last high school game, again against Jesuit. He was spectacular in this game. He threw darts into tight windows and was hitting guys in stride. He threw for almost 400 yards that game. He would have had closer to 500 if he receivers could have held onto the ball. That showing gave me the confidence that he can play and contribute at a high level.

Weldon is another stephon Morris but who actually runs great arm stout qb he'll a natural thrower but he's gonna get someone killed he doesn't know how to change his throws to me I saw him against tech down in Tampa he's not the savior some are trying to make him out to be but hey I've been wrong before all I know is the kids were chanting over rated and it wasn't far off plus he's a Florida state legacy who they didn't want

Saw both of them take reps at paradise camp last year.

- N'kosi makes it look effortless, he flicks his wrist and throws with nice touch. He has great traits, I see the upside and athleticism, looks like he can grow into a great prospect.

-Weldon impressed me, he's also a great athlete as has been noted. Coming off a torn ACL he moved great that day. He has a strong arm, it seems like he can be a very productive QB at the p5 level.

Advertisement
@canefordays

Saw both of them take reps at paradise camp last year.

- N'kosi makes it look effortless, he flicks his wrist and throws with nice touch.

This...kid's release is unreal, no wasted motion.

Look how the ball jumps out of His hands at :50 of the following video...sick.

This is the Paradise Camp BTW:

[video=youtube;E0GhB3DizBc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0GhB3DizBc[/video]

N'Kosi Perry has a very strong arm & delivers the ball with velocity, he also has the ability to take a little off his fastball & make touch throws.

He's a quick-twitch athlete, but he's NOT a run first QB, he's elusive under pressure & isn't brought to the ground easy (meaning he doesn't just take Sacks without a legitimate chance to escape).

What I like most about him is he's highly accomplished... You don't need any disclaimers or qualifiers to explain away his stats, they speak for themselves, he's been the hands down best QB in the State for literally 2 seasons in a row & hasn't declined in play.

He broke all of Daunte Culpepper's passing records at Vanguard & did so not having the same level of talent around him as some QB's in State that played on loaded teams.
Example: Imagine if he played for a team like STA or even had Southridges WR's corp.

The only time he's struggled was vs Lake Gibson, other than that, he's been nothing short of Dominant.

With Cade Weldon, I think he's a gunslinger with that fiery chip on his shoulder, he's got a very good arm & can make every throw.
He's more of a runner than Perry & utilizes his athletic ability very well, when he's on he's on... But when he's off, he's way off.

He reminds me of a Case Keenum/Tony Romo type, that kind of QB that can be very difficult to deal with if he gets in rhythm & gets hot, but it'll ebb and flow... You get to him early & picks will start rolling.

He has the advantage being an EE & also essentially running the same Offense his Dad ran under Richt at FSU, so I'm sure he knows the verbiage already.

But, just being completely honest, I think Weldon makes a lot of questionable throws & can potentially be a high turnover guy if he's not Coached up quite a bit.

I prefer Perry but I'm not against Weldon either, if he wins the job & is starting I'm all for it, I just think in terms of pure talent that Perry is better.

Last edited:
N'Kosi Perry has a very strong arm & delivers the ball with velocity, he also has the ability to take a little off his fastball & make touch throws.

He's a quick-twitch athlete, but he's NOT a run first QB, he's elusive under pressure & isn't brought to the ground easy (meaning he doesn't just take Sacks without a legitimate chance to escape).

What I like most about him is he's highly accomplished... You don't need any disclaimers or qualifiers to explain away his stats, they speak for themselves, he's been the hands down best QB in the State for literally 2 seasons in a row & hasn't declined in play.

He broke all of Daunte Culpepper's passing records at Vanguard & did so not having the same level of talent around him as some QB's in State that played on loaded teams.
Example: Imagine if he played for a team like STA or even had Southridges WR's corp.

The only time he's struggled was vs Lake Gibson, other than that, he's been nothing short of Dominant.

With Cade Weldon, I think he's a gunslinger with that fiery chip on his shoulder, he's got a very good arm & can make every throw.
He's more of a runner than Perry & utilizes his athletic ability very well, when he's on he's on... But when he's off, he's way off.

He reminds me of a Case Keenum/Tony Romo type, that kind of QB that can be very difficult to deal with if he gets in rhythm & gets hot, but it'll ebb and flow... You get to him early & picks will start rolling.

He has the advantage being an EE & also essentially running the same Offense his Dad ran under Richt at FSU, so I'm sure he knows the verbiage already.

But, just being completely honest, I think Weldon makes a lot of questionable throws & can potentially be a high turnover guy if he's not Coached up quite a bit.

I prefer Perry but I'm not against Weldon either, if he wins the job & is starting I'm all for it, I just think in terms of pure talent that Perry is better.

You broke the cardinal sin of comparing bro, you got to compare Nkosi to Bridgewater and Lamar Jackson.

Advertisement
Weldon is another stephon Morris but who actually runs great arm stout qb he'll a natural thrower but he's gonna get someone killed he doesn't know how to change his throws to me I saw him against tech down in Tampa he's not the savior some are trying to make him out to be but hey I've been wrong before all I know is the kids were chanting over rated and it wasn't far off plus he's a Florida state legacy who they didn't want

Periods and commas, use them!

You and I see eye to eye on these two. Perry seems like a more natural thrower who can change speeds. His bucket throws are a thing of beauty.

You and I see eye to eye on these two. Perry seems like a more natural thrower who can change speeds. His bucket throws are a thing of beauty.

That's nice to read that Perry can make all the throws. I've admittedly only watched these two on highlight film which is why I asked about live action. Perry's highlights are basically him chucking 60-yard bombs to wide-open receivers. I was curious how much more to his game there is.

Yup, I was very impressed with his ability to change the tempo on the ball, that's an important quality to have.

Some QB's think you have to throw bullets every time, but in truth that's actually a detriment & can set a QB for picks by over gunning it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement

Why do you think he struggled against Lake Gibson?

Have seen them both as well - nothing to add that hasn't already been covered.

Perry will be a solid starter for Miami (just a matter of when). Weldon will be a solid starter for whatever school he ends up transferring to. And that's not a negative on Weldon, he just happens to be coming into the program at the same time as Perry who I believe will take over at QB once he understands the offense and adds some weight.

Have seen them both as well - nothing to add that hasn't already been covered.

Perry will be a solid starter for Miami (just a matter of when). Weldon will be a solid starter for whatever school he ends up transferring to. And that's not a negative on Weldon, he just happens to be coming into the program at the same time as Perry who I believe will take over at QB once he understands the offense and adds some weight.

Weldon could red-shirt.. not 100% sure.. but I think Rosier and Kaaya were in the same class. Rosier i think is a RS senior or RS junior.

Florida State would have wanted Cade if he didn't get injured.

He was healthy this year and didn't get an offer, so I'm not sure that's the case.

He committed to Miami in March. FSU got 2 QB commits (that they signed) before he played his senior year. They weren't going to recruit him after that. They were set at QB.

They would've had they thought he was a better prospect than the two they landed.

Advertisement
Back