For those who've seen Perry and Weldon LIVE

I don't know who's gonna be better but Weldon's tape is awesome. Throws darts all over the field, every route.

Advertisement
Florida State would have wanted Cade if he didn't get injured.

He was healthy this year and didn't get an offer, so I'm not sure that's the case.

He committed to Miami in March. FSU got 2 QB commits (that they signed) before he played his senior year. They weren't going to recruit him after that. They were set at QB.

They would've had they thought he was a better prospect than the two they landed.

Maybe

In the spirit of DMoney's earlier thread, I'd like to get some opinions from any and all posters who've seen either N'Kosi Perry or Cade Weldon in live game action.

This is not a "who will start over whom" thread. I just want opinions on these two QBs individually from those who've seen them play. Thanks!

Doesn't D Money's question include them? And you **** well know this will likely turn into a "who will start" thread.

N'Kosi Perry has a very strong arm & delivers the ball with velocity, he also has the ability to take a little off his fastball & make touch throws.

You and I see eye to eye on these two. Perry seems like a more natural thrower who can change speeds. His bucket throws are a thing of beauty.

That's nice to read that Perry can make all the throws. I've admittedly only watched these two on highlight film which is why I asked about live action. Perry's highlights are basically him chucking 60-yard bombs to wide-open receivers. I was curious how much more to his game there is.

go back and find some more film because when steve walsh and dorsey was there it was an air raid. thats why we was so good. you guys are never satisfied, thank cmr to go back and get this dude dorsey or steve walsh wasn't highly recruited. i mean unless you're the coach what difference does it make unless you want to turn this into a race thing because we have 3 more good qbs that might be better than weldon.

Advertisement

He was healthy this year and didn't get an offer, so I'm not sure that's the case.

He committed to Miami in March. FSU got 2 QB commits (that they signed) before he played his senior year. They weren't going to recruit him after that. They were set at QB.

They would've had they thought he was a better prospect than the two they landed.

Maybe

Not FSU, but Weldon said Coley offered em' when He was a sophomore.

IMHO, a Coley offer carries weight, He was one of the first ones to offer James Blackman, who's at FSU now.

Among the schools that offered Weldon scholarships were Kentucky, South Carolina, Wake Forest– and UM, he said, when James Coley was the offensive coordinator during Weldon’s sophomore spring.

Cade Weldon?s bloodlines run to FSU ? and Miami's Mark Richt | Miami Herald

But I'm starting to come around to Weldon, He's more athletic than I thought. Seems like an ultra-competitive kid also. Should be an interesting battle.

N'Kosi Perry has a very strong arm & delivers the ball with velocity, he also has the ability to take a little off his fastball & make touch throws.

He's a quick-twitch athlete, but he's NOT a run first QB, he's elusive under pressure & isn't brought to the ground easy (meaning he doesn't just take Sacks without a legitimate chance to escape).

What I like most about him is he's highly accomplished... You don't need any disclaimers or qualifiers to explain away his stats, they speak for themselves, he's been the hands down best QB in the State for literally 2 seasons in a row & hasn't declined in play.

He broke all of Daunte Culpepper's passing records at Vanguard & did so not having the same level of talent around him as some QB's in State that played on loaded teams.
Example: Imagine if he played for a team like STA or even had Southridges WR's corp.

The only time he's struggled was vs Lake Gibson, other than that, he's been nothing short of Dominant.

With Cade Weldon, I think he's a gunslinger with that fiery chip on his shoulder, he's got a very good arm & can make every throw.
He's more of a runner than Perry & utilizes his athletic ability very well, when he's on he's on... But when he's off, he's way off.

He reminds me of a Case Keenum/Tony Romo type, that kind of QB that can be very difficult to deal with if he gets in rhythm & gets hot, but it'll ebb and flow... You get to him early & picks will start rolling.

He has the advantage being an EE & also essentially running the same Offense his Dad ran under Richt at FSU, so I'm sure he knows the verbiage already.

But, just being completely honest, I think Weldon makes a lot of questionable throws & can potentially be a high turnover guy if he's not Coached up quite a bit.

I prefer Perry but I'm not against Weldon either, if he wins the job & is starting I'm all for it, I just think in terms of pure talent that Perry is better.

Why do you think he struggled against Lake Gibson?

To his credit. Everyone struggled against lake Gibson

Advertisement

Maybe

Yup, maybe. We'll never know for sure, but most coaches (even Saint Richt) will push someone out when its in their best interest to.

Also, I haven't watched or even looked at their QB's. So who I think is better, not a clue.

Edit: I forgot that they got Blackman. I liked him, but raw, but loads of potential. Added benefit is that's a productive area for recruits.

Last edited:

He's a quick-twitch athlete, but he's NOT a run first QB, he's elusive under pressure & isn't brought to the ground easy (meaning he doesn't just take Sacks without a legitimate chance to escape).

What I like most about him is he's highly accomplished... You don't need any disclaimers or qualifiers to explain away his stats, they speak for themselves, he's been the hands down best QB in the State for literally 2 seasons in a row & hasn't declined in play.

He broke all of Daunte Culpepper's passing records at Vanguard & did so not having the same level of talent around him as some QB's in State that played on loaded teams.
Example: Imagine if he played for a team like STA or even had Southridges WR's corp.

The only time he's struggled was vs Lake Gibson, other than that, he's been nothing short of Dominant.

With Cade Weldon, I think he's a gunslinger with that fiery chip on his shoulder, he's got a very good arm & can make every throw.
He's more of a runner than Perry & utilizes his athletic ability very well, when he's on he's on... But when he's off, he's way off.

He reminds me of a Case Keenum/Tony Romo type, that kind of QB that can be very difficult to deal with if he gets in rhythm & gets hot, but it'll ebb and flow... You get to him early & picks will start rolling.

He has the advantage being an EE & also essentially running the same Offense his Dad ran under Richt at FSU, so I'm sure he knows the verbiage already.

But, just being completely honest, I think Weldon makes a lot of questionable throws & can potentially be a high turnover guy if he's not Coached up quite a bit.

I prefer Perry but I'm not against Weldon either, if he wins the job & is starting I'm all for it, I just think in terms of pure talent that Perry is better.

Why do you think he struggled against Lake Gibson?
Lake Gibson had a State title contending Defense, they're a really good team...

Carol City beat them in the state title game because they were just better athletes than LG, but Gibson gave every QB they faced troubled all year.

Heavy Blitzing Defense... **** even Marlon Smith for CC was rattled against them, they didn't really win the game until the 2nd half when Nayquan Wright & Camron Davis started running the ball.

Weldon is another stephon Morris but who actually runs great arm stout qb he'll a natural thrower but he's gonna get someone killed he doesn't know how to change his throws to me I saw him against tech down in Tampa he's not the savior some are trying to make him out to be but hey I've been wrong before all I know is the kids were chanting over rated and it wasn't far off plus he's a Florida state legacy who they didn't want

You might want to read what you write before clicking reply.

Some good info here. Thanks to all who have contributed.

It will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back