For Those Who Actually Know Football

The defense & defensive lineman in particular get gassed quicker. The coaches aren’t able to substitute for them carte blanche.
Imagine if Ken Dorsey did not have the olinemen and great blocking in the back field. Ken would have been injured

Advertisement
An adage in operations science is that throughput increases exponentially with bandwidth, so doubling the queues squares the throughput. It’s a rule of thumb but instructive relative to OL and why @DMoney is so insistent that coaching changes can drive quick improvement. Think of spreading as a bandwidth improvement — it’s maybe the inverse but it reduces the pressure in the box. The perceived OL improvement can be an exponential function as a result, as the failure points, decisions required and the time required to hold blocks all decrease together.

That alone may be one of the key reasons why spread works so much better in college. With less time to train, young guys, OL turning over year to year, taking pressure off the entire unit can help everyone look better. Enos may have thought a lot about what they did at Alabama, but he didn’t seem to think enough about how OL dependent it was.

An adage in operations science is that throughput increases exponentially with bandwidth, so doubling the queues squares the throughput. It’s a rule of thumb but instructive relative to OL and why @DMoney is so insistent that coaching changes can drive quick improvement. Think of spreading as a bandwidth improvement — it’s maybe the inverse but it reduces the pressure in the box. The perceived OL improvement can be an exponential function as a result, as the failure points, decisions required and the time required to hold blocks all decrease together.

That alone may be one of the key reasons why spread works so much better in college. With less time to train, young guys, OL turning over year to year, taking pressure off the entire unit can help everyone look better. Enos may have thought a lot about what they did at Alabama, but he didn’t seem to think enough about how OL dependent it was.

baghdad-bob.jpg

Advertisement
It will help some. However, at some point in time you have to block someone. Scheme NEVER overcomes poor fundamentals. We have decent WR and RB but, our OL and QB play i has been hindered by terrible coaching, schematics and overall gameplanning.

FIFY

The major thing that the spread does (to me, I played Oline in HS) is the splits. Wide splits do two main things-

1. Spread out the defense and make it abundantly clear who you are supposed to block, and put defenders on an island.
2. Gives the line an extra second or so in buffer after they wiff on their block for the QB to get the ball out.

Its all really based on distance. Spread literally spreads out the defenders and puts them farther away from the QB.

It is pretty interesting to see how we will adapt but I suspect it will help all parties involved. It will stop us from ever having an OL drafted though haha, but we don't care about that so much. If they are good they will still go to the league.

Advertisement
Back