For Those Who Actually Know Football

Wider splits in the run game = natural gaps created without having to depend on the oline to move people. It does open up gaps for Dlinemen and LBs to shoot but you can also play games with that, using it against them with traps.

Shotgun formation = QB already several yards back and can see the entire field without having to do anything. Can immediately throw to hot route without having to drop 3+ steps.

More WRs/TEs available in routes = less chance of double teams, easier to find a matchup you like pre-snap and have that guy open as your 1st read.

Wider alignments for WRs = more open space for QB to throw the ball quick off the snap.

And the tempo = if you don't go 3 and out, tempo tires that Dline and diminishes the pass rush.

Great points.
Some of the old air raid guys, have massive splits in their online and set them deep off the centre. To The point where DE has barely closed the distance to the opposing tackle and the ball is gone. Less time engaged means less time to get beaten.

Advertisement
If I recall there were times, when we were great, that the defense was on the field a lot because the offense would score in less than a minute.

There were also times when I hated Erickson's offense because good blitzing teams would neutralize our offense pretty well.

Not true. A common misperception. Great Hurricane teams, while having quick strike capability, were known for controlling the ball and using a dominating D for getting it right back.

If memory serves in '87 ND game (I might be wrong too lazy to look up) Miami chewed 11+ minutes off clock in one drive scoring TD in 3Q.

Sealed Irish's fate for that contest.

Outstanding posts here , read them all and having spent sometime in the pits everyone is on point. Doing hand to hand combat with some pretty tough and nasty dudes scratching digging there nails into your skin like you wouldn't believe play after play spitting pinching till welts show all over you trying to get you to throw a punch (15 yard penalty) plus having to sustain these blocks play after play tough as **** then run down field to support the play.

Yeah get the ball off ASAP :)

I see all the answers, get the ball out quick etc, what you do when QB cant make the right reads, spread offense will NOT solve Miami's issues.

Advertisement
Fewer reads for the quarterback so they don't have to block longer.
Not only fewer reads, but also easier reads post-snap because the QB can react to what 1 or 2 players do based on the scheme. And sometimes the QB observes a 1 on 1 matchup pre-snap, so in a way there isn't really a post-snap read at all, and the QB just drops back 1-2 steps and throws it to the single coverage. So instead of an unseen safety or LB getting over in time for the INT, the scheme creates a mismatch between the WR and a single defender who doesn't know the route, and WR wins that 9 out of 10 times (at least in theory).

Not true. A common misperception. Great Hurricane teams, while having quick strike capability, were known for controlling the ball and using a dominating D for getting it right back.

If memory serves in '87 ND game (I might be wrong too lazy to look up) Miami chewed 11+ minutes off clock in one drive scoring TD in 3Q.

Sealed Irish's fate for that contest.

The guud Miami temas dronimated in teh ternhces, guysm. 3T analcysts.

I have been watching football for almost 60 years and I have a legit question. How, exactly, does a spread offense help a terrible offensive line?
It has no effect on it. Not to mention the fact that our QB(s) have terrible footwork in the pocket. So Implementing this offense is going to damned near take a miracle with the personnel that we have. You also have to remember that this offense will feature an uptempo pace over the spread. So you can bet we're going to see some similar formations that we have been seeing, but at a much faster pace.

...and although it may look similar, Jordan will be used much more as a WR (h-back) than a catching TE in 2 TE sets. Hopefully you won't see nearly as many PA passes and/or screens. which are defended almost the same way and thus why our offense was so predictable.

Advertisement
Cleans up looks for the OL. We ran a lot of condensed last year, and that just brings more people to the party (the fumble against FSU).

QB gets the ball out faster, so it cuts their block time down.

Also, this offense takes what the defense gives. That makes QB reads easier and faster to recognize.

Wider splits and less congestion in the box helps the run game too.

Maddog 71 , you asked a great question. I, myself had no clue. If I would have asked the very same, I would have been laughed at or close to it. Shows u how some on this board are judgemental

Advertisement
If you watch Lance's review on Lashlee's offense he goes over how spreading things out helps the OL because it shows who is coming and who isn't. If you LBs or DBs split out wide, odds are they are in coverage. But if they are near the line of scrimmage when you spread out they are likely coming after the QB.

I think we should see some quick hitting running plays FINALLY as well. Sure, for a guy like Chaney, I would love to have similar blocking that Gore - McGahee had....but we are so far removed from that, we need to hit the LOS quick and limit the long delayed handoffs...Occasionally one will break, and if not, take the 2-5 yards and line it up again.

Advertisement
Don't know how but it felt like more than that. Sad and disgusting
I know we've had bad PROTECTION. Who's fault is this. What's wrong with this program. Last great olinemen 00, 01 and 02. McKinney : mountain McKinney and COMPANY

Maddog 71 , you asked a great question. I, myself had no clue. If I would have asked the very same, I would have been laughed at or close to it. Shows u how some on this board are judgemental
Don't worry about any of that. This is a Cane board and you have to learn to be a tough as the Canes of old. Take your hits and don't be afraid to hit back when it's needed. You'll be a lot happier then. Just roll with it!

I have been watching football for almost 60 years and I have a legit question. How, exactly, does a spread offense help a terrible offensive line?
The defense & defensive lineman in particular get gassed quicker. The coaches aren’t able to substitute for them carte blanche.

Advertisement
Back