For Those Who Actually Know Football

Advertisement
From Lance’s amazing post

• Protect your OL
There were times this year when I wanted to jump through my television while watching the QB take 5 and 7-step drops all games with an OL that was not able to protect that long. Other times I watched a true freshman LT be asked to block an experienced pass rusher on the edge while the QB tried to get to a fourth read in their progression. An OC has a responsibility to put his players in a position to succeed (rule 1) and the play-calling is a big part of this process. The quick-passing game should be a staple of any college offense and an air-raid with power run concepts is once again my choice.

Using the Central Limit Theorem you are able to take a sample mean and get a good approximation of what the average time for the entire population is. SMU got the ball out in 2.32 seconds on average, while Miami took 2.66 seconds on average. This might not sound like a big deal, but the accepted timeframe to get a pass out of the QB’s hands is 2.50 seconds, which means Miami was making things harder on their OL on average, while SMU was making things significantly easier on theirs.

To take this even further, SMU got the ball out of the QB’s hands in an average of 2.33 seconds (virtually identical to passes anywhere else on the field). Miami got passes out in an average of 3.55 seconds, which is absurdly high and helps to explain some of their issues in the red zone. Even taking out any outliers (passes with 2 standard deviations above the mean), Miami still averaged an outrageous 3.10 seconds to get the ball out.

This shows up in their sack numbers, as they allowed a sack every 29.5 passes, while Miami allowed one every 8.5 passes (wow).

If you watch Lance's review on Lashlee's offense he goes over how spreading things out helps the OL because it shows who is coming and who isn't. If you LBs or DBs split out wide, odds are they are in coverage. But if they are near the line of scrimmage when you spread out they are likely coming after the QB.

Advertisement
From Lance’s amazing post

• Protect your OL
There were times this year when I wanted to jump through my television while watching the QB take 5 and 7-step drops all games with an OL that was not able to protect that long. Other times I watched a true freshman LT be asked to block an experienced pass rusher on the edge while the QB tried to get to a fourth read in their progression. An OC has a responsibility to put his players in a position to succeed (rule 1) and the play-calling is a big part of this process. The quick-passing game should be a staple of any college offense and an air-raid with power run concepts is once again my choice.

Using the Central Limit Theorem you are able to take a sample mean and get a good approximation of what the average time for the entire population is. SMU got the ball out in 2.32 seconds on average, while Miami took 2.66 seconds on average. This might not sound like a big deal, but the accepted timeframe to get a pass out of the QB’s hands is 2.50 seconds, which means Miami was making things harder on their OL on average, while SMU was making things significantly easier on theirs.

To take this even further, SMU got the ball out of the QB’s hands in an average of 2.33 seconds (virtually identical to passes anywhere else on the field). Miami got passes out in an average of 3.55 seconds, which is absurdly high and helps to explain some of their issues in the red zone. Even taking out any outliers (passes with 2 standard deviations above the mean), Miami still averaged an outrageous 3.10 seconds to get the ball out.

This shows up in their sack numbers, as they allowed a sack every 29.5 passes, while Miami allowed one every 8.5 passes (wow).
Great Information!

Advertisement
I have been watching football for almost 60 years and I have a legit question. How, exactly, does a spread offense help a terrible offensive line?
Ball gets out of QBs hands quickly. QB doesn't turn his back to the LOS with slow-developing play-action. QB has fewer reads and is set up to make quick decisions.

I have been watching football for almost 60 years and I have a legit question. How, exactly, does a spread offense help a terrible offensive line?

Wider splits in the run game = natural gaps created without having to depend on the oline to move people. It does open up gaps for Dlinemen and LBs to shoot but you can also play games with that, using it against them with traps.

Shotgun formation = QB already several yards back and can see the entire field without having to do anything. Can immediately throw to hot route without having to drop 3+ steps.

More WRs/TEs available in routes = less chance of double teams, easier to find a matchup you like pre-snap and have that guy open as your 1st read.

Wider alignments for WRs = more open space for QB to throw the ball quick off the snap.

And the tempo = if you don't go 3 and out, tempo tires that Dline and diminishes the pass rush.

Advertisement
If you watch Lance's review on Lashlee's offense he goes over how spreading things out helps the OL because it shows who is coming and who isn't. If you LBs or DBs split out wide, odds are they are in coverage. But if they are near the line of scrimmage when you spread out they are likely coming after the QB.
That's just it. When you allow the D to have so many men around the line, the O line simply can not have a clue who is coming.

Advertisement
I think our coaches did a poor job of coaching the OL, assisting the OL, and managing our tendencies on certain downs and distances. PA calls on 3&98 after failing to run all game doesn’t really help a young OL.

I don’t think we have Poor OL..

Better scheme/coaching = better results.

In theory, spread widens out the field and dictates what the D is allowed to do, how exotic they can be, and negates their ability to be aggressive..the offensive Line doe have to diagnose as many 2nd level blitzes/stunts . Gets the ball out quicker to play makers..in theory that’s what the advantages should be. But at the end of the day ball is ball. If you not winning at the LOS scrimmage none of that **** matter. Example A, FSU. You can end up spinning your wheels and tiring out your D if your not executing and picking up first downs or scoring

Advertisement
Back