For those that "actually" want to discuss...our future (since the season is over)

Didn't see this thread until just now. I think firing L is totally out of the question and an overreaction to a bad loss. He's taken this program to new levels. Making us an annual NCAAT team, routinely beating UNC and Dook, and winning the ACCT.

I just think that he got out of his lane chasing after so many one and done types. The Quickley's and the Little's were always long shots. That's not how he builds programs. That's not how his best Miami team was built. He needs to get back to recruiting players that will grow with the program. Not players who are basically hired guns for one year only looking at for number one.

I posted in the WEZ that there are plenty of good 4-star players in-state that we should be targeting and building with. Guys that we didn't even offer that are going to other power 5 schools while we were left holding our ****s after chasing blue chips.

Advertisement
It's interesting that if Brown Jr. and Walker IV leave, next year's team will look a lot more like the 2013 team...a plethora of veteran bigs, limited guard depth.
The biggest question is can Lykes evolve into a Shane Larkin level player?

The biggest question is can Lykes evolve into a Shane Larkin level player?
I think that he can be better. Doesn't mean he'll get drafted round 1 but i expect him to be a better collegiate player than Larkin was(possibly because he'll play all 4 years)

I think that he can be better. Doesn't mean he'll get drafted round 1 but i expect him to be a better collegiate player than Larkin was(possibly because he'll play all 4 years)
Possibly. His shot selection needs to improve, and his defense isn't even close to where Larkin's was.

Advertisement
I just think that he got out of his lane chasing after so many one and done types. The Quickley's and the Little's were always long shots. That's not how he builds programs. That's not how his best Miami team was built. He needs to get back to recruiting players that will grow with the program. Not players who are basically hired guns for one year only looking at for number one.

I agree. Granted he only really attempted getting these elite players recently (Brown and Walker, then those names in the 2018 class before the FBI bull****), he had more success with older teams. I agree that we would do better with teams similar to 2012-13 and 2015-16 before we had that one and done talent.

Even these non-elite kids have had success that moved onto other programs (Sherman, Palmer, Lecomte etc.).

I also think he needs to continue with the transfers. Those have been some of our best players during his tenure.

I have no idea if Lykes will be better than Larkin, but everyone is remembering Larkin the sophomore, not Larkin the freshman. Larkin the sophomore averaged 14.5 ppg and shot 48% from the field, 41% from 3, and averaged 4.5 assists. Larkin the freshman averaged 7.4 ppg, shot 36% from the field, 32% from 3, and averaged 2.5 assists per game. Compare Larkin the freshman to Lykes the freshman.

Lykes averaged 9.6 ppg, 2.3 assists, shot 40% from the field and 34.5% from 3. Larkin started 19 games, Lykes 10. Larkin had 60 TO, Lykes had 58.

Last edited:
I have no idea if Lykes will be better than Larkin, but everyone is remembering Larkin the sophomore, not Larkin the freshman. Larkin the sophomore averaged 14.5 ppg and shot 48% from the field, 41% from 3, and averaged 4.5 assists. Larkin the freshman averaged 7.4 ppg, shot 36% from the field, 32% from 3, and averaged 2.5 assists per game. Compare Larkin the freshman to Lykes the freshman.

Lykes averaged 9.6 ppg, 2.3 assists, shot 40% from the field and 34.5% from 3. Larkin started 19 games, Lykes 10. Larkin had 60 TO, Lykes had 58.
I expect this type of increase for Lykes. He really can score he was just out of control too often. I am presuming that this can be fixed but some players never get it.

He's going to need to score more next year with at least LW bolting.

Everyone calm down think about where we were without coach L I’m happy with what he’s done yes I would have loved to gone further in the tourney but this year we lost to a team of destiny that made it all the way to the final four and had to beat us with a last second three and we **** our pants in the last minute and two years ago we lost to the national champs in Villanova so just calm down and appreciate where we are because it sure beats where we were✋🏼🤚🏼❤️

Advertisement
To me it's pretty simple when it comes to coach L. No one besides him that I can ever remember has recruited at a higher level or had us as a perennial tournament team getting wins over the likes of Duke and unc year in and year out besides coach L. He has done nothing but prove he belongs by turning Miami into a good basketball program.

That being said, nobody deserves a lifetime contract. Right now though I'm riding with L over anybody else who would take the job if it were to vacate.

Lykes is special. Had a quick convo about the ncaa tourny a while back and some local Tennessee fan in Tennessee was raving about Lykes. That says alot as this guy was just a casual fan.

He's one of the fastest and quickest players I've ever seen and he's not afraid to pull the trigger. Some of his shots start going down and people start crowning him.

What's stopping L from telling recruits the following:

"Miami is completely innocent of any wrongdoing alleged by the fbi (point to Little's affidavit). If we are charged with any wrong doing by the feds or ncaa, I'll immediately let you out of your LOI/scholarship with no restrictions."

"Miami is completely innocent of any wrongdoing alleged by the fbi (point to Little's affidavit). If we are charged with any wrong doing by the feds or ncaa, I'll immediately let you out of your LOI/scholarship with no restrictions."

Nothing. I am also confused why our admin didn't use the dropping of charges against Brad Augustine, which involved allegations against us, as further proof of the above.

-----

But for Stuart Grossman, who is really counsel for Coach L, nobody is selling the above.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article200354969.html

Advertisement

Nothing at all, and I would imagine he is already going that direction.

Advertisement
Back