For those that "actually" want to discuss...our future (since the season is over)

As I mentioned elsewhere though, let's not forget this staff has been together sine the 2015 season (sweet 16). I think JB, and Fish as well, are great recruiters. Still, I think the loss of Huger and Konkol definitely hurt. L's staff had pretty much been in place for years.

I agree. I would really like him to change some things here.

This is not a Frank Haith job anymore. We have the potential to finish right up there in probably the toughest league in the country on a yearly basis. I think the admin would be prepared to spend. Names I'd like to see: Ed Cooley, Providence. Yes, I know he's from there, has said he wasn't interested in leaving and signed a 10 year contract. Greg McDermott, Creighton. Another guy who say's he doesn't want to go anywhere, I know. Frank Martin, SC. With Donna gone, I think he'd actually have a shot of landing here. If I went mid major and they were available, I'd take a long hard look at Earl Grant, College of Charleston and TJ Otzelberger, SD State. Both are well pedigreed.

The names below are people to consider. This doesn't mean they should get the job, they're just names to consider.

In addition, the names below are in no particular order.

Over 50

1. Randy Bennett at St. Marys (55)

Seasons Coached (current program): 17
NCAAT Appearances: 6
Conference Champs: 1
Furthest Into NCAAT: Sweet 16

Random Notes:

2. Eric Musselman at Nevada (53)

Seasons Coached (current program): 3
NCAAT Appearances: 2
Furthest Into NCAAT: In Progress

Random Notes: Was an NBA HC for 3 years.

3. Scott Nagy at Wright State (51)

Seasons Coached (current program): 2
NCAAT Appearances: 1 at Wright State and 3 at South Dakota State
Conference Champs: 1 at Wright State and 2 at South Dakota State
Furthest Into NCAAT: NCAA Second Round

Random Notes: He started coaching at South Dakota State in 1995. He took them from a D2 program to an independent to Summit League Champs

4. Joe Dooley at FGCU (52)

Seasons Coached (current program): 5
Furthest Into NCAAT: NCAA Second Round

Random Notes: He was an assistant under Bill Self (03-13). His first HC gig at East Carolina went poorly but he was 29 when he took the gig.

49 or Under

1. Kevin Willard at Seton Hall (42)

Seasons Coached (current program): 8
NCAAT Appearances: 3
Conference Champs: 0

Random Notes: Was an assistant coach under Pitino at UL.

2. Ed Cooley at Providence (48)

Seasons Coached (current program): 7
NCAAT Appearances: 5
Furthest Into NCAAT: Round of 32

Random Notes:

3. T.J. Otzelberger at South Dakota State (40)

Seasons Coached (current program): 2
Furthest Into NCAAT: Round of 64

Random Notes: Coached under Fred Hoiberg

4. Nate Oats at Buffalo (43)

Seasons Coached (current program): 3

Random Notes: Coached under Bobby Hurley at Buffalo and was promoted after he left.

5. Wes Miller (35) UNC Greensboro

NCAAT Appearances: 1
Furthest Into NCAAT: Round of 64

Random Notes: Played basketball at UNC

6. Dan Hurley at Rhode Island (45)

Seasons Coached (current program): 6

Random Notes: Played basketball at Seton Hall

7. John Becker at Vermont (49)

Furthest Into NCAAT: Round of 32

Random Notes:

There are two names I am going to leave off for different reasons:

1. Gregg Marshall at Wichita State (54)

I don't think we would go after him. I just think our school would assume we could NEVER get him.

2. Frank Martin at South Carolina (51)

I like Frank Martin. I also like that he is from here. I wanted him when Haith left but things have changed since he was at South Carolina.

Frank has been at South Carolina since 2012-13. Last year was great (tremendous) but that was an outlier more than the norm.

I'd like him to perform better in the SEC because a conference record of 45–63 is pretty bad. In addition, 1 NCAAT in a span of 6 years isn't too good. Keep in mind coaches like Mark Fox (UGA and Fired), Billy Kennedy (TAMpon), Mike Anderson (Ark) and Andy Kennedy (Miss and Fired) have all performed better in conference during that time and nobody wants any of them.

If you compare Martin to Coach L since 2012-13:

Frank Martin:

- Best Season: 26–11 (12–6) FINAL FOUR
- Overall Record: 112–89 (.557)
- Conference Record: 45–63 (.417)
- NCAAT Appearances: 1
- Best Conference Finish: T-3rd

Coach L:

- Best Season: 29-7 (15–3) Sweet 16/Conference Championship
- Overall Record: 141–64 (.691)
- Conference Record: 66–42 (.611)
- NCAAT Appearances: 3 (this year will be 4)
- Best Conference Finish: 1st

Side note: Perry Clark is a coach on Martin's staff.

Advertisement
Oates just signed an extension,. How about Odom, the UMBC coach? As for Martin, there was a time as a HS and a college HC when there was the taint of being a rogue coach running an outlaw program attached to him. Has he totally lived that down? If he hasn't, I doubt UM would ever consider him.

Oates just signed an extension,. How about Odom, the UMBC coach? As for Martin, there was a time as a HS and a college HC when there was the taint of being a rogue coach running an outlaw program attached to him. Has he totally lived that down? If he hasn't, I doubt UM would ever consider him.

You mean this extension...

A UB source confirmed that the extension is in the range of $550,000-$600,000 per season, which puts him near the top of the MAC men's salary structure. Oats was the sixth-highest paid coach in the league this season at $350,000. Kathy Twist, interim athletic director, said last month that UB intended to elevate Oats to one of the three top-paid coaches in the league. The extension should achieve that.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/09/sullys-hot-read-ub-acts-fast-to-keep-oats/

Coach L made a mistake a few years back. He sold his soul to Jaquan for some strange reason. He was never a point guard and we lost 3 kids due to Coach L going with Newton. Now he thinks recruiting 5 stars is the only way to compete and we have 2 low 5 stars and another that was really a 2 star. He needs to get back to point guards running his offense and quit thinking combo guards can run the point. Shrewsberry with the Celtics might be coach to consider.

Advertisement
Maybe the team should concentrate on basketball fundementals instead of wearing #MeToo shirts and hanging out with Joe Biden?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
It's interesting that if Brown Jr. and Walker IV leave, next year's team will look a lot more like the 2013 team...a plethora of veteran bigs, limited guard depth.

I definitely don't think he should be fired.

But this FBI thing has to get wrapped up. The 18 class is ****ed, and if the 19 class suffers the same fate (and we lose guys like Carey), then it is going to be very hard IMO to defend him going forward

May not be his fault, but that would be two recruiting classes down the drain. Very hard to bounce back from that, no matter how good of a coach. Especially at his age

Also I think it's fair to ask, why aren't other schools being effected the same way by this? I get the five stars eliminating us, but to not even be going after 3 or 4 stars? I don't get how the situation is that toxic where we have no targets

Exactly, this is my only concern with Coach L. At his age, after making serious inroads in high level recruiting...how can he withstand an open ended free for all investigation with no end in sight.

We shall see, but the sooner the corrupt government entity clears UM, the better. The blue bloods caught up in this **** will still land what they need with boo$ter love.

UM

Advertisement
Back