For Those B!tching About Jon Richt

coaches hire there kids all the time. paterno had h is son on staff , bowden, beamer, briles, and some of them are actually quite good. jon played qb in hs and college. not well but he played it.

so he knows a bit about playing qb. having him start as a qb coach isn't a bad thing. richt got hired by bowden at young age got promoted to qb coach at jon's age and then got promoted to oc at 30. this happens with all young coaches.

they don't just have an issue with jon though. it is a big one same people are uspet they don't have 10 yr vets at every coachign position. epharaim banda for one was a ga then defensive quality control where he coached safeties and now got promoted to safeties coach , they are upset, rumph great hs coach, great college db, got cb coach job they are upset. thomas brown been rb coach for 4 yrs and coached guys like melvin gordon, nick chubb and sony michael but upset he is rb coach.

there is a theme here.

Advertisement
I always figured Richt would hire a young QB coach to groom. He was transparent about wanting to be hands-on with the QBs and the offense. A highly experienced coach wasn't coming in to be a figurehead position coach. And for those that think we should've allocated that assistant spot elsewhere, Richt still needs someone supervising the position so he can float around at practice and not have to run every QB meeting.

CMR can teach/install everything he needs to with the QB's, and once things are set, Jon can be there, while CMR handles more pressing things... Plus, the kid actually played, and just may have picked up some things during this time @ the NFL level...

Advertisement
Freakin' relax. Can you please just realize that we got a 3-4-1 with his father...the head coach...the OC.....AND the real QB Coach? Can you please realize that it's absurd to make the analogy to D'onofrio and regurgitate the line about "not hiring someone you can't fire" when Papa Richt will essentially be doing the job WITH JR? Can you also realize that at least JR went out on his own for a year in the NFL (unlike some other father/son tandems) and that bringing him here very well could have been part of the sales pitch to actually land Papa Richt? Is it 1000% ideal to use that spot as a nepotism hire? No. But is it a complete real world non-detriment to do so? Yes. If the QB play sucks it won't be JR that we'll blame. It'll be the HC and I'm sure Mark Richt is fine with that. End rant. Carry on.

I support JR and the hire of JR...with that said...
Would you rather have Michael Barrow or J.Richt?

Coaching QBs? Jon Richt.

I know a few coaches and former players on that Mars Hill team he played for after he left Clemson. I actually watched him play at one point but never put 2 and 2 together to realize this Richt kid playing QB was Marks son.

The coaches I know from there spoke highly of him, and a guy I played with in high school that went to Mars Hill was a TE, he said Richt ran the offensive meetings. He knew more than the coaches there.

Mars Hill is not a bad program. They are usually good and have an excellent staff

Freakin' relax. Can you please just realize that we got a 3-4-1 with his father...the head coach...the OC.....AND the real QB Coach? Can you please realize that it's absurd to make the analogy to D'onofrio and regurgitate the line about "not hiring someone you can't fire" when Papa Richt will essentially be doing the job WITH JR? Can you also realize that at least JR went out on his own for a year in the NFL (unlike some other father/son tandems) and that bringing him here very well could have been part of the sales pitch to actually land Papa Richt? Is it 1000% ideal to use that spot as a nepotism hire? No. But is it a complete real world non-detriment to do so? Yes. If the QB play sucks it won't be JR that we'll blame. It'll be the HC and I'm sure Mark Richt is fine with that. End rant. Carry on.

So you're implying that Barrow would have returned as LB coach?
Doubtful.
Bad assumption.

Advertisement

Doubtful.
Bad assumption.

I'm not implying that, no.
My point is that we could have used the spot on someone who WE KNOW can make a difference in recruiting and coaching...Offensive staff does not need as much help as Defensive staff...Watching Defensive highlights from Miss State and La Tech i saw ALOT of missed tackles from linebackers...So this shows that having an actual LB coach will double up as having someone to relieve some load off the DC and help with defensive recruiting.
BUT
It's no different than Jon Richt being hired to relieve the load off Mark Richt and double up as an extra offensive assistant / POSSIBLE recruiter.

So my main point is would you take that extra staff member on the Offensive side or defensive side? And would you make that extra staff member someone that has proven to contribute to recruiting/development in their area or someone who with great potential and younger?
There are pros and con's for both sides so nobody can seriously sit here and say 1 is a better choice than the other 100% of the time.

Doubtful.
Bad assumption.

I'm not implying that, no.
My point is that we could have used the spot on someone who WE KNOW can make a difference in recruiting and coaching...Offensive staff does not need as much help as Defensive staff...Watching Defensive highlights from Miss State and La Tech i saw ALOT of missed tackles from linebackers...So this shows that having an actual LB coach will double up as having someone to relieve some load off the DC and help with defensive recruiting.
BUT
It's no different than Jon Richt being hired to relieve the load off Mark Richt and double up as an extra offensive assistant / POSSIBLE recruiter.

So my main point is would you take that extra staff member on the Offensive side or defensive side? And would you make that extra staff member someone that has proven to contribute to recruiting/development in their area or someone who with great potential and younger?
There are pros and con's for both sides so nobody can seriously sit here and say 1 is a better choice than the other 100% of the time.

There is a difference...QB is the most important position on the team. You double up there as its **** near a necessity.

No doubt, IMO, the kid will be elevated to QB coach in a very short time.

And who better to serve as QB coach than a young guy groomed by the offensive minded HC?

It just happens to be that our young QB coach is also the head coach's son.

But lots of offensive minded HCs hire protégés to coach their QBs, since they are specific with what they want taught. Non-issue, really.

Advertisement
I will say it again I still don't get the John Lilly thing and the man crush issue with pickup trucks and his lack of "South Florida fondness". If you are an asst coach for 8+ years with CMR AND you don't have another job(maybe he got on somewhere now who knows?) why not follow a man and friend loyal to you for 8 years? Richt wanted him as CO-OC along with Brown. Then Baby Richt's hire wouldn't have been an issue. Strange that Dugans is the "Passing game coordinator" because as everyone said CMR IS the OC. So you have 4 (Baby Richt, Jones, Hartley & Dugans) along with the head coach. I also believe for those not happy with Diaz he will be evaluated on a year by year basis. CMR's tenure here will be up for debate as I don't think he leaves for another job. But will decide to retire at some point who knows when.

I don't mind using up one position coach slot for something besides actual coaching ability/experience (eg nepotism or hiring a coach for his recruiting abilities). Richt is gonna be in charge of QBs and playcalling we all know that. But i don't like seeing Richt use up another position coach slot for a recruiter (Hartley). I'd rather have Larry freaking Scott coach TE's and move Hartley back to where he belongs - recruiting position in admin.

Same on defense. It's one thing to have Rumph coach CBs. Fine, he can recruit. But then using up another position coach slot for someone like Banda? Dafug?

I really thing Richt thought Lilly would follow them when it became obvious that he wasn't he had to change his plan a bit. Look Richt has to work within what he can do. I don't think it is a good idea for an interim HC to remain on the staff when a new regime takes over. Again I think there is more to the Lilly issue because for example I hate Gainesville. Someone offers me an asst OC gig with someone I have been working with for 8 years (and I have no other current options) then I go. Later after the season you can then sort out your options and then decide on another direction. The coaches are loyal almost to a fault which is why it was strange.

I don't think the Baby Richt thing was planned as it was. He would have still been on the staff but as a part timer especially if Lilly came down. Again If Lilky had other offers then it would make more sense. I think it surprised Richt as much as anyone else.

Advertisement
I just saw a Lilly profile pic and yep for show pure hick and yahoo!! No question about he doesn't fit down here! Imagine him getting lost on 22 Avenue and asking a friendly neighbor "Excuse me sir where is Mayberry?"

fascinating to see the nonchalance about having so many green coaches on staff, and how it "wouldnt matter bc mark is calling plays". theres a reason teams have several coaches. wasting spots on your son and former players is a fast way to get ****canned.

Advertisement
Back