For the "We need better players crowd"

Paul showed a lot of upside in 2012 and anybody who thinks differently is outside his mind. He couldn't stay out of trouble off the field. He should be a very good player and he is in his fourth year.

Advertisement
Paul showed a lot of upside in 2012 and anybody who thinks differently is outside his mind. He couldn't stay out of trouble off the field. He should be a very good player and he is in his fourth year.

Out of curiosity, what was Paul's off field misconduct. It seems so long ago.

OP thanks for the read. Here's the thing, when Paul, and Johnson was here, we didn't have enough "talent" to beat out the teams we played....that was the excuse that Golden used. The fact is players that have left this program in the last 4 yrs have flourished elsewhere. How can that be? Al continues to lay his claim to fame off of Muhammed Wilkerson. Since he's been here, we've had a 5-star guy in Chick who was the UA All-Star Game's MVP put on 30 lbs, became slow and taught to engage...dropping his draft stock. We've had the no. 1 DB in the ENTIRE NATION, TH3, play 20 yrds off his man and now he's considered overrated. We've had a 4 star DE in Tyriq McCord who have not been taught different techniques to improve his pass rush. We've had a 4 star safety in Deion Bush who has regressed since being "coached up" here from his Freshman year to his Junior year. I mean, I can go on and on and on regarding the shear talent that has misused and mismanaged during Golden's tenure. UM will always have talent...not 2000-2004 talent, but talent. Give Satan, Liar, Briles, Davis, Helfrich, Klieman (ND St Head Coach) this team and we're heading to atleast a BCS bowl game. Tired of the excuses; we were better than UL and Nebraska and we are better than Duke and VT...talent wise. Why we lose is b/c of coaching and coaching alone.

Looks like Gionni Paul can tackle just fine now that he's out of Coral Gables....

http://www.blocku.com/2014/9/21/6690569/welcome-to-utah-gionni-paul

Former Miami transfer Gionni Paul made his Utah debut, and he made the most of it! Utes fans had all heard how great Paul was on the scout team last year, and all the plays he made before his injury in spring ball, but a broken foot postponed his Utah debut until the fourth week of the season. Some may have worried that Paul would be rusty or out of shape due to the injury and not having played in a game since playing for Miami in 2012. However, talking to Paul at practice last Tuesday, he did not give any indication that the foot injury would slow him down against Michigan.

"In my mind... injury, what injury?" said Paul.

He also made sure to study his playbook, so he would be ready when he was healthy. Yesterday against Michigan (even in a MidWest storm), Paul looked both ready and healthy.

"I stayed in my playbook during the offseason and just rehabbed 24/7, so it was no big adjustment, just getting back together with my teammates and having fun. I was born to play this game. I just wake up and thank god that I came back as fast as I could and counting down the days," said Paul.

Paul was without a doubt ready for his time in the spotlight. He was electric in his first start in a Utes uniform. He caught an interception, recovered a fumble, and led the team in tackles with 14 (10 solo). Having Paul was huge, especially since Utes defensive coordinator Kalani Sitake was without the services of starting linebacker Jason Whittingham. Paul brings energy, instincts, and athleticism that Utah has rarely had in a linebacker. He seemed like he was in on almost every play against Michigan. Color me incredibly impressed with Paul and excited to see what else he will do in the crimson and white.

What is the point of this thread? When Paul was here all of you talent evaluators said he was fat, bow legged, short and slow. Now he has a good game and this proves what? That golden was a good recruiter for finding him? That most on these boards have no idea how to evaluate players? Are you insinuating that by him having a good game, that this means that the guys playing here are more talented? Lmfao at u guys. The team sucks, the coaches suck but this is straight nonsense. Stop trying to find every little piece of something to prove something we already know.

No, you missed the point. The players don't suck. There is a ton of talent. Talent that everyone outside the top 10 or 15 in the country would love to have. The point is this staff consistently does less with more.

Really, please tell me where I said the players suck? I will wait for your response. I said the team sucks. Football is a team sport so while individually they might be good as a whole they are not. Sucks was probably a strong word. They make stupid penalties at the absolutely WOrST times. They whiff on blocks. Coaching aside I do not hold year guys harmless. I am not going to argue the reasons why. At this point in time essentially being 0-2 you are what your record says u are. There are no asterisks next tithe records saying * coached by golden

Interesting cop out with the "Team Sucks" doesn't equal players, yet you specifically mention coaches right after. Ok whatever. Point is the coaching staff is terrible, and there is talent on this team that is underperfoming. Players are coached poorly and that's the bottom line. The ESPN article posted today says basically the same thing.

"Paul brings energy, instincts, and athleticism that Utah has rarely had in a linebacker. He seemed like he was in on almost every play against Michigan."

-Sounds like a habitual FREELANCER. 14 tackles?? NOPE, DO NOT WANT!

Advertisement
Looks like Gionni Paul can tackle just fine now that he's out of Coral Gables....

Former Miami transfer Gionni Paul made his Utah debut, and he made the most of it! Utes fans had all heard how great Paul was on the scout team last year, and all the plays he made before his injury in spring ball, but a broken foot postponed his Utah debut until the fourth week of the season. Some may have worried that Paul would be rusty or out of shape due to the injury and not having played in a game since playing for Miami in 2012. However, talking to Paul at practice last Tuesday, he did not give any indication that the foot injury would slow him down against Michigan.

He also made sure to study his playbook, so he would be ready when he was healthy. Yesterday against Michigan (even in a MidWest storm), Paul looked both ready and healthy.

"I stayed in my playbook during the offseason and just rehabbed 24/7, so it was no big adjustment, just getting back together with my teammates and having fun. I was born to play this game. I just wake up and thank god that I came back as fast as I could and counting down the days," said Paul.

Paul was without a doubt ready for his time in the spotlight. He was electric in his first start in a Utes uniform. He caught an interception, recovered a fumble, and led the team in tackles with 14 (10 solo). Having Paul was huge, especially since Utes defensive coordinator Kalani Sitake was without the services of starting linebacker Jason Whittingham. Paul brings energy, instincts, and athleticism that Utah has rarely had in a linebacker. He seemed like he was in on almost every play against Michigan. Color me incredibly impressed with Paul and excited to see what else he will do in the crimson and white.

What is the point of this thread? When Paul was here all of you talent evaluators said he was fat, bow legged, short and slow. Now he has a good game and this proves what? That golden was a good recruiter for finding him? That most on these boards have no idea how to evaluate players? Are you insinuating that by him having a good game, that this means that the guys playing here are more talented? Lmfao at u guys. The team sucks, the coaches suck but this is straight nonsense. Stop trying to find every little piece of something to prove something we already know.

It means he didn't produce in our system but he turns into a wreaking ball somewhere else, which is all to common for us.

LOL yea after one game he's a huge miss! bruh this site has gone to **** with our tackling smh

He just happens to have a game better then any Hurricane defender under Golden his first game away from him? Look it up, NOBODY under Golden has put up 10+ Tackles a INT and a fumble recovery. And getting 14 tackles is something thats only been done like 4 times under Golden (which were mostly Sean Spence when we were still transitioning and not running the PoS scheme we run now). This defense is holding the players back, its clear as day to EVERYONE, yet you continue to blast the kids who are bustin there *** trying to turn chicken **** into chicken salad. Its straight disrespectful imo.

For anyone out there still blaming talent (I don't think anyone is left), I'd ask them this:

What do you think a talented team with very poor coaching would look like?
Duke winning the Coastal last year really screwed a lot of people still clinging to the talent excuse

OP thanks for the read. Here's the thing, when Paul, and Johnson was here, we didn't have enough "talent" to beat out the teams we played....that was the excuse that Golden used. The fact is players that have left this program in the last 4 yrs have flourished elsewhere. How can that be? Al continues to lay his claim to fame off of Muhammed Wilkerson. Since he's been here, we've had a 5-star guy in Chick who was the UA All-Star Game's MVP put on 30 lbs, became slow and taught to engage...dropping his draft stock. We've had the no. 1 DB in the ENTIRE NATION, TH3, play 20 yrds off his man and now he's considered overrated. We've had a 4 star DE in Tyriq McCord who have not been taught different techniques to improve his pass rush. We've had a 4 star safety in Deion Bush who has regressed since being "coached up" here from his Freshman year to his Junior year. I mean, I can go on and on and on regarding the shear talent that has misused and mismanaged during Golden's tenure. UM will always have talent...not 2000-2004 talent, but talent. Give Satan, Liar, Briles, Davis, Helfrich, Klieman (ND St Head Coach) this team and we're heading to atleast a BCS bowl game. Tired of the excuses; we were better than UL and Nebraska and we are better than Duke and VT...talent wise. Why we lose is b/c of coaching and coaching alone.

Trooooooooooooooof!!!!!

Im willing to bet that this UM roster will have more NFL players in 4 years than any team on our schedule this year short of FSU. The
talent excuse no longer flies...

Advertisement

Funny, because all the people talking down about him were the same people who keep defending Golden with the we don't have enough talent argument. That's the point of this thread. We get talent, they look JAGS in our defense and look like studs everywhere else.

For anyone out there still blaming talent (I don't think anyone is left), I'd ask them this:

What do you think a talented team with very poor coaching would look like?
Duke winning the Coastal last year really screwed a lot of people still clinging to the talent excuse

While factually it should have, sadly it did not. I had to do some real research to put numbers together to prove to these guys that we had better talent. They pretty much used 2 excuses for the Duke game 1. Senior heavy team vs our young team and 2. we lost a lot of players so our recruiting rankings didn't matter.

Seriously, they refuse to acknowledge the fact that Golden and staff are garbage.

Im willing to bet that this UM roster will have more NFL players in 4 years than any team on our schedule this year short of FSU. The
talent excuse no longer flies...

Yes. I actually think we're quite loaded this year. With some real coaches we should be a 10 win team. I worry that our talent will overcome Golden's corching and we'll eek out just enough wins for him to keep his job.

Last edited:
Not surprising, as already mentioned above, that this cat would be this good in his forth year. Think Manny was onto something after his piece on players recruited by the staff that are no longer here. With upperclassmen Figs, Gionni, and E. Johnson as part of the lineup, we don't look like doormats last week.

Advertisement
### An NFL personnel man, on the UM coaching staff: “I think Al Golden is a better coach with overachiever kids and a program he’s building from the bottom. You can’t coach [highly-talented] kids the same way as overachievers. I just don’t see enough kids getting significantly better there.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...#storylink=cpy

### An NFL personnel man, on the UM coaching staff: “I think Al Golden is a better coach with overachiever kids and a program he’s building from the bottom. You can’t coach [highly-talented] kids the same way as overachievers. I just don’t see enough kids getting significantly better there.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...#storylink=cpy

Bingo. Post of the year

Duke Johnson, Denzel Perryman, Stacy Coley, Ereck Flowers, Tracy Howard, Deon Bush. Those are just some guys on our team more talented than anyone on Duke's roster.
I don't see how anyone can watch a single play on defense and not think that the scheme sucks. Just look at the highlights in the Nebraska game.
The DL constanly gets pushed back, and NO ONE tries to shed blocks via rips or anything. they just kinda try to maintain their spot. I didn't notice McCord covering wrs as much as I did against UL. Then again, that was every **** play... Golden & Donofrio say they blitzed someone 60% of the time, well in a 34 defense they better be blitzing and not having Mccord sitting in pass coverage. I'd fully expect to have at least 4 rushers on just about every play. Then, There's alot of bad angles, and there are a lot of missed tackles. Well, guess what. Maybe the coaches should coach these guys up on how to tackle then. You can't go 3 straight years saying they still don't know how to tackle. that is just unacceptable, and its their job to FIX it. Plus why where they so scared of the deep ball that they had to have 2 deep safeties every 1st down when they would get 6 yards rushing at a minumum? Stuff just makes no sense.

Advertisement
Can we get a running list of players and suspected crimes who have left team last three seasons?
Getting ridiculous

"energy, instincts, and athleticism" How did he ever even get in to THE U. I though we were into tentative, confused, and heavy. Oh, wait, that is the player development plan. I guess Al just gave the kid a shot.

Advertisement
Back