for the first time in 24 years

bacane:

You talk about this being a decade long issue, our "loss of aggression".

But then you complain when people trash on the administration who has actively worked to diminish our traditions at Miami, in favor of some buttoned up nancy pants university that doesn't fit the character of its fan base. I'm a fan of the U. The Miami Hurricanes are a symbol. It's a pride I have. And this small group of elitist academics, who could care less about the city of Miami and its culture, nor the alumni of the university who went there with pride, have taken that symbol away in order to serve their own self interests. It sickens me.

Advertisement
**** anyone in this thread or on this board telling people how they should spend their money and placing labels on them being real fans or not. Golden is a horrible coach, but the ones doing this are horrible people.

Advertisement
Yeah, sometimes reality is tough for those living in the past. Many of us had the good fortune to witness and appreciate the championship years (more so now than back then), though it may be a bit much to say folks - players/coaches - were idolized. They were and are human. They make bad calls, bolt for more prestigious or better paying jobs, blow assignments, miss tackles and unfortunately make a poor decision or two in life.

Is Miami football where we want it to be? No. Will it ever return to the glory days? Sadly, probably not - not to the level it once was. Won't go into all the changes in the game nationally since then, some on the field and off, and why and how Miami's star has dimmed.

Just tired of the folks so eager to trash the program, the university president, AD, head coach, assistant coaches, strength coach, players. Or threaten to give up their season tickets. ****, this fan base is so small and fickle that Beckham's soccer stadium might be too big but for an FSU game.

Sorry, don't mean to **** on his broken heart as he slips into the night. So explain the others that have jumped ship or never been on board?

I can't tell you how others deal with how they feel about what's going on. We are not watching what many grew up idolizing and admiring. And, while I feel that deeply but will just be there in the stands dealing with it, I can understand if some need to vent it in another way. What people are doing is a reaction.

My comment to you was to encourage you to consider what the root cause of those reactions may be. Are there insufferable fans in every fan base who'll never be happy? Sure. I think there's a legitimate concern here because of how different the "brand" of football now is for the Miami Hurricanes.

A guy who's been a season ticket holder for 24 years, through some ****ty times and certainly over the last decade, may not be a good example of an overreaction.

You're assuming people idolized players when, maybe, and this sure as **** counts for me, some people just idolized/admired a particular aggression. The players represented that, but it was embedded in the culture of the program by its leaders. That is not living in the past because it has less to do with results and more to do with a style of play. An approach. And, that fearlessness, that aggression, is not deeply valued by this program right now.

Other programs, with less talent, no tradition, etc., are living that out. Why can't it be possible for us? Even if we don't get the results we once saw, at least we could all be proud again. It's not too much to ask.

[That's to say nothing of the fact that, if we'd go back to that, we have the available talent to actually produce and make runs. We're in South Florida!]

Lu...can you provide 3-4 programs to illustrate your comment above?

Advertisement
Back