for the first time in 24 years

I think every case is different. If you live within an hour drive or so from the stadium there maybe a case for continuing attending Canes' games regardless. It's still your team, just come to games with very little expectations.
On the other hand, if you fly across the country to watch a couple of games every year like me, making the case for renewing season tickets only to come and get disappointed a very difficult proposition. Hard to justify the expense, the hassle, the time off taken, etc. when the product on the field is just so inferior and no light seen at the end of the tunnel.
AG is not going anywhere anytime soon. Unfortunately he doesn't have the coaching skills needed to bring this program back to relevancy. He's an average coach at best.

This guy's got the Al-bola.

Advertisement
Yeah, sometimes reality is tough for those living in the past. Many of us had the good fortune to witness and appreciate the championship years (more so now than back then), though it may be a bit much to say folks - players/coaches - were idolized. They were and are human. They make bad calls, bolt for more prestigious or better paying jobs, blow assignments, miss tackles and unfortunately make a poor decision or two in life.

Is Miami football where we want it to be? No. Will it ever return to the glory days? Sadly, probably not - not to the level it once was. Won't go into all the changes in the game nationally since then, some on the field and off, and why and how Miami's star has dimmed.

Just tired of the folks so eager to trash the program, the university president, AD, head coach, assistant coaches, strength coach, players. Or threaten to give up their season tickets. ****, this fan base is so small and fickle that Beckham's soccer stadium might be too big but for an FSU game.

Sorry, don't mean to **** on his broken heart as he slips into the night. So explain the others that have jumped ship or never been on board?

I can't tell you how others deal with how they feel about what's going on. We are not watching what many grew up idolizing and admiring. And, while I feel that deeply but will just be there in the stands dealing with it, I can understand if some need to vent it in another way. What people are doing is a reaction.

My comment to you was to encourage you to consider what the root cause of those reactions may be. Are there insufferable fans in every fan base who'll never be happy? Sure. I think there's a legitimate concern here because of how different the "brand" of football now is for the Miami Hurricanes.

A guy who's been a season ticket holder for 24 years, through some ****ty times and certainly over the last decade, may not be a good example of an overreaction.

You're assuming people idolized players when, maybe, and this sure as **** counts for me, some people just idolized/admired a particular aggression. The players represented that, but it was embedded in the culture of the program by its leaders. That is not living in the past because it has less to do with results and more to do with a style of play. An approach. And, that fearlessness, that aggression, is not deeply valued by this program right now.

Other programs, with less talent, no tradition, etc., are living that out. Why can't it be possible for us? Even if we don't get the results we once saw, at least we could all be proud again. It's not too much to ask.

[That's to say nothing of the fact that, if we'd go back to that, we have the available talent to actually produce and make runs. We're in South Florida!]

OK, fooled the **** out of me, but didn't think I was watching flag football last night. Dont live in a world of what-ifs, but if our two tight ends protect the ball and don't get stripped, if Berrios completes what would have been a helluva catch, if our kicker doesn't get a PAT blocked and shank a FG, if a lucky bounce doesn't turn into an FSU TD, if an official or two made a holding call . . . if our freshman QB could run a hurry-up offense over the final 3 minutes - hey, we might all be talking about playing like the Canes of old.

And also, sounds like this aggresion and fearless passion you speak of didn't just disappear recently, considering the last two coaches were fired. So this is more than a decade-old problem.

OK, fooled the **** out of me, but didn't think I was watching flag football last night. Dont live in a world of what-ifs, but if our two tight ends protect the ball and don't get stripped, if Berrios completes what would have been a helluva catch, if our kicker doesn't get a PAT blocked and shank a FG, if a lucky bounce doesn't turn into an FSU TD, if an official or two made a holding call . . . if our freshman QB could run a hurry-up offense over the final 3 minutes - hey, we might all be talking about playing like the Canes of old.

And also, sounds like this aggresion and fearless passion you speak of didn't just disappear recently, considering the last two coaches were fired. So this is more than a decade-old problem.

The what if game goes both ways. Not every break went FSU's way. FSU made player mistakes, too. It's football; those happen.

Your last quote is very important. I completely agree with the general point. This issue runs deeper than coaches.

Advertisement
Exactly, it's football. **** happens. In a hard fought game, somebody wins. And the other side walks away like the world's come to an end.

Or in Miami's case, it's a license to freely trash coaches and players, while reverting to sophomoric name calling. Threads about Chickillo's knee injury digress into cheap shots and ugly nonsense. These are Miami fans? Yeah, right. And where are the adults overseeing this board?

Exactly, it's football. **** happens. In a hard fought game, somebody wins. And the other side walks away like the world's come to an end.

Or in Miami's case, it's a license to freely trash coaches and players, while reverting to sophomoric name calling. Threads about Chickillo's knee injury digress into cheap shots and ugly nonsense. These are Miami fans? Yeah, right. And where are the adults overseeing this board?

Keep chugging that cack big man.

Advertisement
I posted this after the GT game, but I'm going to post it again. After the that game I decided to not renew my season tickets unless Golden was fired. My family has had season tickets since 1954. I took over the tickets recently even though I live in Tennessee. I make 2-3 games a year and usually an away game. When I don't go, I have family or friends in Miami that go. After GT I swore I wasn't going to another game this year. I decided early this week to drive down (12 hours) and go to the FSU game with my brother. In spite of that, I'm still not renewing next year. Call me a bandwagon fan, or whatever the **** you want, but Al Golden's incompetence is losing a 60 year old season ticket family.

Yes, **** happens, but it seems there is a difference between "normal **** that happens within the course of a game" and brutally unavoidable "**** happens" record of a coach who has not shown an ability to win meaningful games. Ever. It's a shocking record. As for the rest:

Look, it's a message board for fanatics and there are all sorts of fans and personalities. We went through this last year as well. I'm having what seems like a reasonable discussion with you. When you see me name-calling (never) or trashing coaches (I'll address their actions without any personal attack) or players (never), then you can address it with me or as a generalization. There are still posters here who want to discuss things rationally. You don't like the others? Avoid 'em. It's a really crap time to be a Miami Hurricane fan and we'll try to make the best of it.

Helluva list of what-ifs, but it should start with "what if our coaches didn't choke?"

I understand folks are frustrated. So now it's the wild west and you can say anything you want? No monitoring? No limits or minimium standards of deceny? If so, what is deemed crossing the line?

Advertisement
I understand folks are frustrated. So now it's the wild west and you can say anything you want? No monitoring? No limits or minimium standards of deceny? If so, what is deemed crossing the line?

It depends on which side of the line you cross it from.

Send your post complaints and, when we get them through email, we delete posts, etc.

Advertisement
Can only imagine what the attendance will be like next year if this staff returns

Probably look something like this:

Dolphinstadiumint.jpg

Advertisement
Back