For the “we don’t play anybody” crowd

Your right, Shalala put us in the power position we now find ourselves in....:cautious:

Have you ever heard of Tad Foote, who LITERALLY tried to kill the football program, with evidence?

Please, I BEG you, support your theory as to how Shalalalalala ruined the football program. Show your work like this is third grade.

If you want to complain, go knock on Paul DiMare, Norman Braman or Phil Frost's door and tell them that they're not doing enough with the millions of dollars they donate every year.

And then learn something about how a private university works.

Advertisement
Oh, good lord, what a useless statistic, used in a misleading way, to "act" as if Miami is doing a good job of scheduling.

A bit of analysis exposes the truth.

First, nobody said that Miami has NEVER played good teams, only that our scheduling has DECLINED and that we are playing the same crappy teams over and over and over again.

Second, Paul Dee was our AD through 2008. He had some decent games scheduled out for a few years. After our last high-water mark in 2012, when we played K-State and Notre Dame in the same year, this is what has happened since:

2013 - UF
2014 - Nebraska
2015 - nobody
2016 - nobody
2017 - Notre Dame as a contractual obligation arising from ND joining the ACC for all sports except football
2018 - LSU in a pre-season kickoff game
2019 - UF in a pre-season kickoff game

In fact, of these 14 massive "games against ranked Power Five teams", five have come against either The Gata or Notre Dame, two teams that have been traditional rivals of Miami's. Kick in another "contractual obligation" game (Louisville, when we tossed a few games to Big East left-behinds to compensate for us going to the ACC) and FIVE games against teams we have frequently faced in bowl games (2 games with OK, 2 games with Taint, and 1 game with Nebraska).

And look at the DECLINE. In the last 7 years, we have faced exactly FIVE ranked Power 5 teams, and 2 of the 5 were The Gata.

Then look at how we have scheduled beyond the Power 5. In the past 15 years, we have played:

FIU - 3 times
FAU - 3 times
FAMU - 5 times
Bethune-Cookman - 5 times
USF - 6 times (and we scheduled them before they were "good")
UCF - 2 times (and we DEFINITELY scheduled them before they were "good")
Savannah State - 2 times
Toledo - 2 times
Arkansas State - 2 times (one cancelled due to hurricane)

Here are the "good" OOC ranked Power 5 games:

Colorado - once (2005)
Texas A&M - once (2008)
Pitt - once (2010) - contractual obligation game
K-State - once (2011)
Nebraska - once (2015)
Notre Dame - once (2016) - contractual obligation game

That's it. In 15 years, besides our massive FOURTEEN ranked Power 5 opponents, we have had EXACTLY SIX "unranked" Power 5 opponents, though two were contractual obligation games (and query whether Pitt was Power 5 at the time - no).

So, sure, we have gotten lucky that most of our Power 5 opponents have been good when we played them, but we keep going back to the same cast of "usual suspects" (for both Power 5 AND crappy Florida directional schools).

AND LET'S RESTATE SOMETHING IMPORTANT. In the past SEVEN years, we have played exactly ONE game against a ranked Power 5 opponent that wasn't either (a) a traditional rival (The Gata and Notre Dame), (b) a pre-season kickoff game (The Gata and LSU), and/or (c) a contractual obligation game (Notre Dame).

SORRY, BUT THAT IS HORRIBLE SCHEDULING OVER THE PAST SEVEN YEARS.

Now do the other 129 teams...and make sure use CAPS throughout. Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

The CFP system has made all teams look at their schedules a little closer. I was reading a couple of articles about the UGA- Clemson games scheduled this week. Found some interesting discussions and facts on the Clemson board.

Clemson and Georgia will now face each other six times in the regular season between 2021 and 2033. The game now scheduled for 2021 replaces a previously scheduled contest against Wyoming. Don't know the pay out here to cancel this. This allowed Clemson to keep their "rivalry" game vs South Carolina, too.

- Dabo ALWAYS schedules 7 home games. It's one of the few "pre-requisites" they have for scheduling. This game at neutral site Charlotte worked because of the proximity to both campuses.

I also saw that USC cancelled a previously scheduled game vs UC Davis for 2021, too. This has been a point of contention among long time Trojan fans and donors. USC will have to pay $725,000 to UC Davis to cancel the game They are trying to schedule an FBS opponent to take this slot.

USC also looks to have 7 home games each season. They play 5 PAC12 teams home/away plus ND each year alternating. It is a challenge to find an FBS/ P5 team with schedule availability with schedules being booked so far out.

Currently, there are only three FBS programs that have never played an FCS opponent: USC, UCLA, and Notre Dame.

We should have cancelled Wagner. Playing that game is ridiculous.

Advertisement
kickoff games arent preseason games. idgaf if theyre home and home or not. also, as a person that travels for away games/neutral site games, i LOVE the kickoff games. theyre fun and theyre usually in a fun city w enough hotels.
Just out of curiosity, you would rather go to Dallas to see us play LSU than go to Austin to see Texas's actual game day atmosphere and stadium or Baton Rouge to see Death Valley, and then look forward to those teams come to Hard Rock to build a home schedule around?

Just out of curiosity, you would rather go to Dallas to see us play LSU than go to Austin to see Texas's actual game day atmosphere and stadium or Baton Rouge to see Death Valley, and then look forward to those teams come to Hard Rock to build a home schedule around?

i dont make a big deal like some on this board. ill go if they play on the moon. since we graduated, we always hit up an away game every year (this year will be east lansing but will stay in AA and drive over for the game). i thought dallas sucked but the benefit of not having to deal w college town amenities (hotels or lack of, etc) (austin is diff obviously since it isnt a college town). regarding LSU, id rather stay in Nola and drive over for the game and head right back vs doing the entire weekend in baton rouge. as i get older, the more and more i like amenities lol esp after the last FSU miami up there. the trend is going back to home and homes now (remember, when the current slate was scheduled through 21, no big time program were giving anyone home and homes for the most part. bama is going back to the home and home with FSU, GT, etc. but thats set up for 2025 and beyond. i think UGA Clemsons 21 matchup that just got set up is a neutral site game in charlotte ("neutral").

Now do the other 129 teams...and make sure use CAPS throughout. Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Dopey false equivalency.

Nobody cares about the "other 129 teams". The only thing that matters is Power 5. That's our peer group, that's who we compete with for playoff spots. And probably only about half of the Power 5 group matters, unless you desperately want me to analyze Iowa State's schedule.

Apparently you don't bother to read, because I posted several comparative schools' P5 OOC opponents, including Clemson, who is in our conference, has won 2 national championships, and played for 2 others.

Clemson played 28 Power 5 OOC games in 15 years. Miami played 20.

So the pvssies who claim that Miami shouldn't play more Power 5 schools because it will destroy our ability to compete for national championships are wrong. Proven wrong.

Nobody is suggesting that our 4 OOC games need to be Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Texas every year. There are dozens of Power 5 teams with which we have rarely, if ever, scheduled a home-and-home. ****, start with Oregon, Mario is not going to say no to that one, it will give him a chance for a Butch moment.

i dont make a big deal like some on this board. ill go if they play on the moon. since we graduated, we always hit up an away game every year (this year will be east lansing but will stay in AA and drive over for the game). i thought dallas sucked but the benefit of not having to deal w college town amenities (hotels or lack of, etc) (austin is diff obviously since it isnt a college town). regarding LSU, id rather stay in Nola and drive over for the game and head right back vs doing the entire weekend in baton rouge. as i get older, the more and more i like amenities lol esp after the last FSU miami up there. the trend is going back to home and homes now (remember, when the current slate was scheduled through 21, no big time program were giving anyone home and homes for the most part. bama is going back to the home and home with FSU, GT, etc. but thats set up for 2025 and beyond. i think UGA Clemsons 21 matchup that just got set up is a neutral site game in charlotte ("neutral").
I agree with you 100%. Had a couple of nice meals in Dallas, some great BBQ, top notch hotel, easy flight with no driving to the middle of nowhere. I wanted to do MSU this year, hit a bunch of the Michigan breweries but will have a newborn, so that is off the table.

That is partially why I am jealous of UF's upcoming games - Scottsdale, Utah, Boulder, and Berkeley. All easy trips, get to see the other team's stadium, and great places to visit. I would love us to schedule Oregon, smack in the middle of wine country out there, or Stanford and eat around SF. I live in Atlanta, so most of the big SEC schools would be a super easy drive for me too, which is why I was annoyed they schedule USCe out of all of them. Just a useless game to schedule.

It just seems, as you said, there has been that recent trend of scheduling marquee home and home series again, and again, we were behind the 8 ball in doing so. Like Bama, LSU, UGA, etc. would not love the chance to come down here and get even more exposure to all of the SFL recruits.

Advertisement
I love how theoriginialcane keeps putting "contractual obligation game" to try and diminish or put down certain games when literally every foocking game is a "contractual obligation game" lmao remember arky st sueing us because we missed their game due to Irma.

I love how theoriginialcane keeps putting "contractual obligation game" to try and diminish or put down certain games when literally every foocking game is a "contractual obligation game" lmao remember arky st sueing us because we missed their game due to Irma.

You are clueless.

I'm not "diminishing" or "putting down" the Notre Dame games.

I am accurately pointing out the contractual obligation because Notre Dame DID NOT AND WOULD NOT be playing all of these ACC games without the trade-off of getting their others sports teams into the ACC. And I am also pointing out the contractual obligation BECAUSE BLAKE DIDN'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO SCHEDULE NOTRE DAME.

Stop being a literal-minded buffoon. "Every game is a contractual obligation game". You are doing the same clown job as the guy who complained about using the word "pre-season".

In order to get the Michigan State home-and-home, Blake had to use a bit of initiative, make a few phone calls, hammer out an agreement on the years. Same thing with South Carolina.

NOT THE SAME THING WITH NOTRE DAME. Notre Dame agreed to play a bunch of ACC games, against Miami and other ACC schools, in order to get "partial membership" in the ACC (and keep all their football money to themselves).

THAT is why I accurately call the Notre Dame games "contractual obligation" games. Blake gets ZERO POINT ZERO credit for those games. Blake did nothing to get those games.

I love playing Notre Dame. Miami's three longest rivalries are with F$U, Notre Dame, and The Gata. I'd prefer to play all three every year.

But the Notre Dame games are not the product of Blake doing anything to earn his paycheck.

Have you ever heard of Tad Foote, who LITERALLY tried to kill the football program, with evidence?

Please, I BEG you, support your theory as to how Shalalalalala ruined the football program. Show your work like this is third grade.

If you want to complain, go knock on Paul DiMare, Norman Braman or Phil Frost's door and tell them that they're not doing enough with the millions of dollars they donate every year.

And then learn something about how a private university works.

Holy **** man, you still haven't answered my question from the prior thread where you were whining about Tad Foote.

How many National Championships did we win under Tad Foote? Did you go to school at UM? I did, and Tad Foote killed the football program once while I was there with a national title and almost a second. Sure, Jimmy Johnson hated him and the guy wanted decorum he was never going to get...but he kept hiring good football coaches WITHOUT CAPPING SALARIES.

How many under Shalala?

There's a huge FACKING difference between "TRYING" to kill the football program...WAIT, I'm sorry..."LITERALLY trying" and actually SUCCEEDING.

Now, explain to the class how "LITERALLY TRYING" equalled IN RESULTS to the death of Miami football under Tad Foote. Also, show the class how he restrained UM in facility improvement, recruiting and hiring for any 15 year period during his tenure while the rest of major college football left us behind.

Sure, easy answer will be.."those were different times" or "he would have if he could".....BUT...HE DIDN'T, SHALALA DID.

P.S.: For those shortsighted like yourself who won't believe Shalala wanted to cap coaching salaries at UM, check her recent proposed legislation as a U.S. Representative for her thoughts on that.

You are clueless.

I'm not "diminishing" or "putting down" the Notre Dame games.

I am accurately pointing out the contractual obligation because Notre Dame DID NOT AND WOULD NOT be playing all of these ACC games without the trade-off of getting their others sports teams into the ACC. And I am also pointing out the contractual obligation BECAUSE BLAKE DIDN'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO SCHEDULE NOTRE DAME.

Stop being a literal-minded buffoon. "Every game is a contractual obligation game". You are doing the same clown job as the guy who complained about using the word "pre-season".

In order to get the Michigan State home-and-home, Blake had to use a bit of initiative, make a few phone calls, hammer out an agreement on the years. Same thing with South Carolina.

NOT THE SAME THING WITH NOTRE DAME. Notre Dame agreed to play a bunch of ACC games, against Miami and other ACC schools, in order to get "partial membership" in the ACC (and keep all their football money to themselves).

THAT is why I accurately call the Notre Dame games "contractual obligation" games. Blake gets ZERO POINT ZERO credit for those games. Blake did nothing to get those games.

I love playing Notre Dame. Miami's three longest rivalries are with F$U, Notre Dame, and The Gata. I'd prefer to play all three every year.

But the Notre Dame games are not the product of Blake doing anything to earn his paycheck.
In order to get Michigan state, as well as all other ooc games, we had to agree to and sign a contract. Making them all "contractual obligation games." Lol

Advertisement
Holy **** man, you still haven't answered my question from the prior thread where you were whining about Tad Foote.

How many National Championships did we win under Tad Foote? Did you go to school at UM? I did, and Tad Foote killed the football program once while I was there with a national title and almost a second. Sure, Jimmy Johnson hated him and the guy wanted decorum he was never going to get...but he kept hiring good football coaches WITHOUT CAPPING SALARIES.

How many under Shalala?

There's a huge FACKING difference between "TRYING" to kill the football program...WAIT, I'm sorry..."LITERALLY trying" and actually SUCCEEDING.

Now, explain to the class how "LITERALLY TRYING" equalled IN RESULTS to the death of Miami football under Tad Foote. Also, show the class how he restrained UM in facility improvement, recruiting and hiring for any 15 year period during his tenure while the rest of major college football left us behind.

Sure, easy answer will be.."those were different times" or "he would have if he could".....BUT...HE DIDN'T, SHALALA DID.

P.S.: For those shortsighted like yourself who won't believe Shalala wanted to cap coaching salaries at UM, check her recent proposed legislation as a U.S. Representative for her thoughts on that.

Just a few things.

Pre-Shalala.

Henry King Stanford was the president for the hiring of Saban and Schnellenberger. Also, those were the days prior to having a "full-time dedicated" Athletic Director. Doc Mallios (professor at UM) was the AD for part of that time (I used to work with his son Carl).

The person most responsible for hiring JJ and Erickson is Sam Jankovich, not so much Tad Foote. Foote pretty much ran off Jankovich, pushing him to the NFL.

It should not be forgotten that Foote hired Dave "Maggot" Maggard to be the AD after Sam. Maggard is the guy who shut down multiple men's sports teams rather than make the effort to add more women's sports teams.

After Maggard was exposed, Foote moved his buddy Paul Dee (General Counsel at UM) over to fill Maggard's chair. While it is admirable that Dee hired Butch, he did so after whiffing on the first 3 to 5 candidates.

It should also be noted that Foote presided over one of the laziest periods related to UM facilities. Foote is the one who shot down Tropical Park as a possible stadium site, and he never pushed the City of Miami to renovate the OB to our liking after the Dolphins moved out. Under Foote, we "announced" the Ryder Center (basketball arena) but then never built it. Hecht was never improved. The Light only got minor upgrades. ****, the UM students had to put up a Student Government referendum to "tax ourselves" to build The Wellness Center (which is why the plaque in the building thanks the various student government leaders who supported the process).

Now, let's look at Shalala.

Yes, she's a Democrat. Yes, she's a Clinton ally. Yes, she had a (somewhat) bizarre fixation on hiring "up-and-comers" as our coaches, and paying them what you normally pay an "up-and-comer".

But as for that "capping salaries" nonsense...after Coker won the national championship, Shalala approved a 40% raise in Coker's salary. In 2005, Coker was extended:

"In late September 2005, Coker agreed to a five-year contract extension with the university. The new contract would have paid Coker in the neighborhood of $2 million per season, making him one of the highest-paid coaches in college football."

Now, sure, we can question the hiring of Shannon and Golden. We took chances with them, but there is no reason why we should have to pay a first-time head coach (Shannon) or a first-time P5 head coach (Golden) any of that "Coker money". Those two guys did not win a national championship and did not earn the distinction to be "one of the highest-paid coaches in college football".

Under Shalala, we built the basketball arena and we renovated the Light. We made some significant improvements to the Hecht as well. I am NOT arguing that Shalala gets all the credit, but we made more facilities progress on her watch than we did under Foote.

And we cannot EVER FORGET that the voters of Dade County APPROVED the major renovations to the Orange Bowl, including getting a chunk of "9/11 recovery money" dedicated to the project. It was the City of Miami, and their attorneys, who weaseled out of a SIGNED CONTRACT with Hammes, because of political pressure applied by the Latin Builders Association, who were not getting enough of the subcontractor money. Shalala was NOT responsible for the loss of the Orange Bowl and, if anything, helped out in the SUCCESSFUL political process of publicizing a voter referendum that DID APPROVE the funding for OB renovations.

Shalala isn't perfect, she screwed up the hospital deal and probably should have asked a few more "Nevin" questions. She probably shouldn't have written that Willie Williams letter. She did get rid of The Shermanator pretty quickly, though I'm no fan of his replacement, Blake James. And she consistently made the effort to help UM in recruiting athletes, something that Foote NEVER did.

Foote didn't like UM Athletics, though he failed to kill it. Shalala loved UM Athletics, though she failed to help it win championships.

In order to get Michigan state, as well as all other ooc games, we had to agree to and sign a contract. Making them all "contractual obligation games." Lol

Keep playing your childish semantic games.

Blake James negotiated a contract with Michigan State.

Notre Dame negotiated a contract with the ACC.

There is a difference.

Advertisement
I have no respect for the ACC the only team we have (for you conference fans) in the conference is Clemson and we barely play them.

Advertisement
Back