For the “we don’t play anybody” crowd

jjacks93

Big Dog Alpha Pimp
Just gonna sit this here if yal don’t mind:

2F76F659-8D72-4691-B759-777218AC83CE.jpeg

Advertisement
Just gonna sit this here if yal don’t mind:

View attachment 112059

Oh, good lord, what a useless statistic, used in a misleading way, to "act" as if Miami is doing a good job of scheduling.

A bit of analysis exposes the truth.

First, nobody said that Miami has NEVER played good teams, only that our scheduling has DECLINED and that we are playing the same crappy teams over and over and over again.

Second, Paul Dee was our AD through 2008. He had some decent games scheduled out for a few years. After our last high-water mark in 2012, when we played K-State and Notre Dame in the same year, this is what has happened since:

2013 - UF
2014 - Nebraska
2015 - nobody
2016 - nobody
2017 - Notre Dame as a contractual obligation arising from ND joining the ACC for all sports except football
2018 - LSU in a pre-season kickoff game
2019 - UF in a pre-season kickoff game

In fact, of these 14 massive "games against ranked Power Five teams", five have come against either The Gata or Notre Dame, two teams that have been traditional rivals of Miami's. Kick in another "contractual obligation" game (Louisville, when we tossed a few games to Big East left-behinds to compensate for us going to the ACC) and FIVE games against teams we have frequently faced in bowl games (2 games with OK, 2 games with Taint, and 1 game with Nebraska).

And look at the DECLINE. In the last 7 years, we have faced exactly FIVE ranked Power 5 teams, and 2 of the 5 were The Gata.

Then look at how we have scheduled beyond the Power 5. In the past 15 years, we have played:

FIU - 3 times
FAU - 3 times
FAMU - 5 times
Bethune-Cookman - 5 times
USF - 6 times (and we scheduled them before they were "good")
UCF - 2 times (and we DEFINITELY scheduled them before they were "good")
Savannah State - 2 times
Toledo - 2 times
Arkansas State - 2 times (one cancelled due to hurricane)

Here are the "good" OOC ranked Power 5 games:

Colorado - once (2005)
Texas A&M - once (2008)
Pitt - once (2010) - contractual obligation game
K-State - once (2011)
Nebraska - once (2015)
Notre Dame - once (2016) - contractual obligation game

That's it. In 15 years, besides our massive FOURTEEN ranked Power 5 opponents, we have had EXACTLY SIX "unranked" Power 5 opponents, though two were contractual obligation games (and query whether Pitt was Power 5 at the time - no).

So, sure, we have gotten lucky that most of our Power 5 opponents have been good when we played them, but we keep going back to the same cast of "usual suspects" (for both Power 5 AND crappy Florida directional schools).

AND LET'S RESTATE SOMETHING IMPORTANT. In the past SEVEN years, we have played exactly ONE game against a ranked Power 5 opponent that wasn't either (a) a traditional rival (The Gata and Notre Dame), (b) a pre-season kickoff game (The Gata and LSU), and/or (c) a contractual obligation game (Notre Dame).

SORRY, BUT THAT IS HORRIBLE SCHEDULING OVER THE PAST SEVEN YEARS.

Advertisement
We usually have one non-con opponent in the top 25, and 2 others that wouldn't even be ranked in the top 75 if they ranked that far. And, of course, one FCS opponent.

Our non con schedule always sucks. It's ridiculous.

And our ACC schedule sucks too. Especially ever since FSU has declined.

Advertisement
We don't play anybody. TheOriginalCane summed it up will.

We did schedule coming up we have Mich St. They are nothing (except technically p5 to add to your misleading statistic). Same with South Carolina who we just scheduled a home and home with.

Oh, good lord, what a useless statistic, used in a misleading way, to "act" as if Miami is doing a good job of scheduling.

First, nobody said that Miami has NEVER played good teams, only that our scheduling has DECLINED and that we are playing the same crappy teams over and over and over again.

Second, Paul Dee was our AD through 2008. He had some decent games scheduled out for a few years. After our last high-water mark in 2012, when we played K-State and Notre Dame in the same year, this is what has happened since:

2013 - UF
2014 - Nebraska
2015 - nobody
2016 - nobody
2017 - Notre Dame as a contractual obligation arising from ND joining the ACC for all sports except football

In fact, of these 14 massive "games against ranked Power Five teams", five have come against either The Gata or Notre Dame, two teams that have been traditional rivals of Miami's. Kick in another "contractual obligation" game (Louisville, when we tossed a few games to Big East left-behinds to compensate for us going to the ACC) and FIVE games against teams we have frequently faced in bowl games (2 games with OK, 2 games with Taint, and 1 game with Nebraska).

And look at the DECLINE. In the last 7 years, we have faced exactly FIVE ranked Power 5 teams, and 2 of the 5 were The Gata.

Then look at how we have scheduled beyond the Power 5. In the past 15 years, we have played:

FIU - 3 times
FAU - 3 times
FAMU - 5 times
Savannah State - 2 times
Toledo - 2 times

Colorado - once (2005)
Texas A&M - once (2008)
K-State - once (2011)
Nebraska - once (2015)

That's it. In 15 years, besides our massive FOURTEEN ranked Power 5 opponents, we have had EXACTLY SIX "unranked" Power 5 opponents, though two were contractual obligation games (and query whether Pitt was Power 5 at the time - no).

So, sure, we have gotten lucky that most of our Power 5 opponents have been good when we played them, but we keep going back to the same cast of "usual suspects" (for both Power 5 AND crappy Florida directional schools).

AND LET'S RESTATE SOMETHING IMPORTANT. In the past SEVEN years, we have played exactly ONE game against a ranked Power 5 opponent that wasn't either (a) a traditional rival (The Gata and Notre Dame), (b) a pre-season kickoff game (The Gata and LSU), and/or (c) a contractual obligation game (Notre Dame).

Lmao I just wanna know long it took you to put this together . Pretty impressive

however despite all that, somehow Miami is still at the top of this list . So I guess any team that isn’t in the SEC plays a weak schedule

we can’t help what conference we’re in so idk why yal constantly bring that up like Miami has any control over who we play in conference .

i also don’t see what the circumstances under which the game was played or who the AD was when the game was played has to do with anything . Either the game was played or it wasn’t. Why does it matter that it was a pre season kickoff game, or a contractual obligation game ?

Last edited:
Lmao I just wanna know long it took you to put this together . Pretty impressive

however despite all that, somehow Miami is still at the top of this list . So I guess any team that isn’t in the SEC plays a weak schedule

we can’t help what conference we’re in so idk why yal constantly bring that up like Miami has any control over who we play in conference .

i also don’t see what the circumstances under which the game was played or who the AD was when the game was played has to do with anything . Either the game was played or it wasn’t. Why does it matter that it was a pre season kickoff game, or a contractual obligation game ?

Because its true. Most people are not bringing it up to say "we have a weak schedule we should join the SEC to play harder competition". They usually say "we have a weak *** schedule we should win the coastal this year". Also, its not just the SEC. The B1G and B1g 12 also are much tougher confs than the ACC. Even the Pac-12 is tougher than the Coastal.

App State can't control who they play in their in conference games. Their schedule is still soft.

Advertisement

2013 - UF
2014 - Nebraska
2015 - nobody
2016 - nobody

FIU - 3 times
FAU - 3 times
FAMU - 5 times
Savannah State - 2 times
Toledo - 2 times

Colorado - once (2005)
Texas A&M - once (2008)
K-State - once (2011)
Nebraska - once (2015)

The horrible scheduling is basically just your opinion and has no factual backing.

When these games were booked if you asked 100 Cane fans if they'd rather play UF and Notre Dame again or Georgia and Oregon for example, I'd bet a huge percentage would take the first two. There is nothing wrong in gravitating back to natural, historical rivals. At the time each of those games were gigantic events. Don't you remember last year in Orlando or 2017 at the Rock?

Your lists also has errors and some serious cherry picking. You left out the home and home we played against Ohio State in 2010 and 2011 and we played Nebraska, Kansas State and Notre Dame twice each not once. When scheduled nearly all of those were big games. Ranked one year and not the next can't be controlled.

Over the next three seasons we have games scheduled against Michigan State, Alabama and Texas A&M. Adding those games to the LSU and ND matchups means we will have played three teams who've made the College Football Playoff in over a 5 year span, two of which won the National Championship during that span.

What other school can claim they're even remotely close to that kind of OOC scheduling?

Everyone plays the patsies like the ones we have. Our overall scheduling has been and will continue to be as good or better than anyone else's out there. That's why we are ranked 2nd on that list and will continue to be in 5 years and beyond.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Same crowd:

-We need an on campus stadium!
-We need to hire only former players!
-Fire everyone after six games!
-Shalala ruined the football program!

It's amazing they can be so vocal with all that glue in their mouths.

Well, Shalala didn't do a whole lotta good for the football program, but I totally agree with the rest of your post!

Also relevant to note in that misleading statistic is that just between spots 9 and 13 there are 14 teams ahead of us. No idea what 1-8 is like but are true ranking on this list could be as bad as 25 to 35, maybe worse.

Hey, you can laugh about "how long it took me to put this together" (not long, Google exists, and it's not hard to type), but I certainly invested more thought than "Pick Six Previews did. The sad thing is, I could have done 80% of that research from memory. We have played very few quality games, and we have been overly reliant on Florida directional schools. I didn't need to Google the last 15 years to know that, I've sat through it as an alum and season-ticketholder.

Look, it's dangerous to just "drop off" a list or a stat that someone else compiled, in the mistaken belief that you have proved your point or won an argument.

So put down the crack pipe, and let's think about what you think you have proven.

"So I guess any team that isn't in the SEC plays a weak schedule". No, that's not the point. If you DON'T play in the SEC (and you only play Clemson twice every 12 years), you might need to improve your overall strength-of-schedule with some good OOC games.

If (like me) you had bothered to look at some prior year schedules, you would have seen that in some earlier years, Miami annually played up to 5 ACC teams that were ranked at year-end. This year, beyond Clemson, the ONLY OTHER ranked team at year-end was UVa, AND THERE WERE FIVE GROUP OF FIVE TEAMS RANKED HIGHER THAN UVA.

So, yeah, is it "too much" to expect Blake to make a better effort to schedule quality Power 5 OOC games? It's not even purely a "strength of schedule" issue, he needs to give the fans a good reason to buy season tickets, and a good reason to buy away game tickets. For 2020, this is the home schedule:

Temple, Wagner, Alabama-Birmingham (Thursday night), Pitt, North Carolina, F$U, and Duke

Disgusting.

I agree that we "can't help what conference we are in". But that's where your logic ends. You don't understand the difference between contractual obligation games and pre-season kickoff games and REGULAR SCHEDULING? That's why your point is so worthless. ALL THAT BLAKE HAS TO DO EVERY YEAR is schedule 4 OOC games. That's it. 8 games are already scheduled by the ACC. And if you know **** well that we are in a weaker conference, or that the "Miami audience" is hard to impress and doesn't just go out to 6 crappy games every year, then he has to make an effort to schedule better OOC games. And when we have so many contractual obligation and pre-season games (one-offs with no return trip to Miami), then it becomes painfully obvious that Blake is stealing paychecks.

I have previously posted a lengthy list of Power 5 teams that we SHOULD be scheduling, teams that haven't been scheduled in decades. Just off the top of my head, I could list USC (urban private school), Northwestern (another urban private school), Vanderbilt (ANOTHER urban private school), and TCU (a FOURTH urban private school). There, I've given you four schools from four different P5 conferences which would offer compelling storylines and ESPN-worthy games that would expose Miami to some relatively untapped markets. WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO COMPREHEND?

I'm not asking to schedule Bama and Oklahoma and Ohio Taint on an annual basis. I'm asking for Blake to do his job and make an effort.

Advertisement
Back