For the “we don’t play anybody” crowd

I agree with you 100%. Had a couple of nice meals in Dallas, some great BBQ, top notch hotel, easy flight with no driving to the middle of nowhere. I wanted to do MSU this year, hit a bunch of the Michigan breweries but will have a newborn, so that is off the table.

That is partially why I am jealous of UF's upcoming games - Scottsdale, Utah, Boulder, and Berkeley. All easy trips, get to see the other team's stadium, and great places to visit. I would love us to schedule Oregon, smack in the middle of wine country out there, or Stanford and eat around SF. I live in Atlanta, so most of the big SEC schools would be a super easy drive for me too, which is why I was annoyed they schedule USCe out of all of them. Just a useless game to schedule.

It just seems, as you said, there has been that recent trend of scheduling marquee home and home series again, and again, we were behind the 8 ball in doing so. Like Bama, LSU, UGA, etc. would not love the chance to come down here and get even more exposure to all of the SFL recruits.
Sign me up for the brewery/canes game trip lol

Advertisement
Foote didn't like UM Athletics, though he failed to kill it. Shalala loved UM Athletics, though she failed to help it win championships.

I'm not getting into this again, so you can continue on defending her (love you as a poster, but this is one of a small handful of areas where we are just going to have to continue to agree to disagree), but I'm just gonna jump in here to correct this above statement.

Foote didn't like UM Athletics, though he failed to kill it. Shalala loved to take credit for and wrap herself in the brand of UM Athletics, though she did absolutely nothing to help it win championships and low key neutered the football team with a slew of agenda-driven decisions that were based on factors other than trying to compete with the big boys at the big boy game of trying to win national championships. In the end, she **** near succeeded in killing UM football, and then tried to take credit for saving it by standing up to the big, bad NCAA when they came down on us too hard for a real problem that Shalala had a direct hand and the ultimate responsibility for creating.

Just so both sides of the issue are being presented...

Auburn is the home and home I'd most like to see.

Interesting. Why?

I can think of several I'd rather see, in particular, USC would probably be my top choice (after the chickens from Turdville, of course).

Nebraska would be a cool H-H, as would Michigan and OSU, oh and LSU. Honestly, there is a bucket list of college football stadiums/venues. It would be great to allow our fans to get to some of these bucket list places while getting to watch their favorite team. Some of my best memories in life are going to games with my family at Pedo St, or Tennessee, or VT, or the Rose Bowl. Those are special experiences that simply aren't matched by playing in Atlanta or Charlotte or Orlando, or even Jerry World. Certainly, nobody's cherished memories are being served by Flake's practice of scheduling games at Appy St, Toledo, Arky State, etc.

Interesting. Why?

I can think of several I'd rather see, in particular, USC would probably be my top choice (after the chickens from Turdville, of course).

Nebraska would be a cool H-H, as would Michigan and OSU, oh and LSU. Honestly, there is a bucket list of college football stadiums/venues. It would be great to allow our fans to get to some of these bucket list places while getting to watch their favorite team. Some of my best memories in life are going to games with my family at Pedo St, or Tennessee, or VT, or the Rose Bowl. Those are special experiences that simply aren't matched by playing in Atlanta or Charlotte or Orlando, or even Jerry World. Certainly, nobody's cherished memories are being served by Flake's practice of scheduling games at Appy St, Toledo, Arky State, etc.
High level program, our fans would get excited to play them here, and it's a matchup I'd travel to see.

Advertisement
Interesting. Why?

I'd love to see a game at LSU. Fook mane.

I'm not getting into this again, so you can continue on defending her (love you as a poster, but this is one of a small handful of areas where we are just going to have to continue to agree to disagree), but I'm just gonna jump in here to correct this above statement.

Foote didn't like UM Athletics, though he failed to kill it. Shalala loved to take credit for and wrap herself in the brand of UM Athletics, though she did absolutely nothing to help it win championships and low key neutered the football team with a slew of agenda-driven decisions that were based on factors other than trying to compete with the big boys at the big boy game of trying to win national championships. In the end, she **** near succeeded in killing UM football, and then tried to take credit for saving it by standing up to the big, bad NCAA when they came down on us too hard for a real problem that Shalala had a direct hand and the ultimate responsibility for creating.

Just so both sides of the issue are being presented...
I will give her credit for telling the NCAA to pound sand. She treated Nevin like a booster because he was at the time. I don't fault Shalala for anything involving athletics but the ADs she hired.

I will give her credit for telling the NCAA to pound sand. She treated Nevin like a booster because he was at the time. I don't fault Shalala for anything involving athletics but the ADs she hired.
The proper thing to do was demonstrated by UNC in its handling of a genuinely egregious scandal (18+ years of academic fraud) for which they received no penalty. That is how you deal with the NCAA, not self-imposed sanctions because Jacory Harris got $180 for a stripper.

The proper thing to do was demonstrated by UNC in its handling of a genuinely egregious scandal (18+ years of academic fraud) for which they received no penalty. That is how you deal with the NCAA, not self-imposed sanctions because Jacory Harris got $180 for a stripper.

Well said.

Advertisement
The NCAA knew they had nothing big, but would have been happy to keep us under the cloud for years. They knew they were colluding with Shapiro's attorney. By self imposing sanctions, we were able to show we had been punished and could righteously expose them for the frauds they are. They ended up looking like they had a vendetta against us and nobody could deny it.

Fault her if you want, especially for the ADs and Uhealth, but as far as I can see, we're good from the Shapiro ordeal.

Edit: You know there was no way we'd have ever gotten away without penalties.

Every other recent school got the benefit of watching us, and adjusting their tactics accordingly.

The NCAA knew they had nothing big, but would have been happy to keep us under the cloud for years. They knew they were colluding with Shapiro's attorney. By self imposing sanctions, we were able to show we had been punished and could righteously expose them for the frauds they are. They ended up looking like they had a vendetta against us and nobody could deny it.

Fault her if you want, especially for the ADs and Uhealth, but as far as I can see, we're good from the Shapiro ordeal.

Edit: You know there was no way we'd have ever gotten away without penalties.
Yeah, I know.

Advertisement
Interesting. Why?

This x100, though I am good without Nebraska or OSU again. And this is the problem with the neutral site games.

In no order, I would love these out of conference games:
-Texas
-Oregon
-Stanford
-USC
-LSU
-Colorado
-ASU

Selfishly, Auburn and Georgia would be extremely easy for me, so I would take those. Unfortunately, I do not see any of these being scheduled unless ND joins the ACC in football and those become conference games.

The CFP system has made all teams look at their schedules a little closer. I was reading a couple of articles about the UGA- Clemson games scheduled this week. Found some interesting discussions and facts on the Clemson board.

Clemson and Georgia will now face each other six times in the regular season between 2021 and 2033. The game now scheduled for 2021 replaces a previously scheduled contest against Wyoming. Don't know the pay out here to cancel this. This allowed Clemson to keep their "rivalry" game vs South Carolina, too.

- Dabo ALWAYS schedules 7 home games. It's one of the few "pre-requisites" they have for scheduling. This game at neutral site Charlotte worked because of the proximity to both campuses.

I also saw that USC cancelled a previously scheduled game vs UC Davis for 2021, too. This has been a point of contention among long time Trojan fans and donors. USC will have to pay $725,000 to UC Davis to cancel the game They are trying to schedule an FBS opponent to take this slot.

USC also looks to have 7 home games each season. They play 5 PAC12 teams home/away plus ND each year alternating. It is a challenge to find an FBS/ P5 team with schedule availability with schedules being booked so far out.

Currently, there are only three FBS programs that have never played an FCS opponent: USC, UCLA, and Notre Dame.

We should have cancelled Wagner. Playing that game is ridiculous.

Wagner is even worse than the MEAC teams we usually play.

And I think we should never play FCS teams.

Advertisement
Not your fault. Nowhere was there a sign stating that pants were required.

Very true.

If you ever catch the game on ESPN Classic, it was a DOWNPOUR, and then JJ decided to run up the score on Mike Archer (one of Schnellenberger's guys who didn't want to coach under JJ).

During halftime, I went down to get food, and while I was waiting for someone, I walked up the tunnel to look out at the beginning of the second half. I guess I must have "loitered", and someone in a raincoat yelled at me to sit the **** down. So I flipped him off and told him to F off. It was a cop.

He proceeded to put me in an illegal chokehold, and when I was trying to breathe, he decided to charge me with "resisting arrest" (I was cuffed already), in addition to the obligatory Deep South "disturbing the peace". How the **** can you "disturb the peace" in a downpour at Death Valley on a Saturday night?

Spent the night in Baton Rouge jail. Good times.

Holy **** man, you still haven't answered my question from the prior thread where you were whining about Tad Foote.

How many National Championships did we win under Tad Foote? Did you go to school at UM? I did, and Tad Foote killed the football program once while I was there with a national title and almost a second. Sure, Jimmy Johnson hated him and the guy wanted decorum he was never going to get...but he kept hiring good football coaches WITHOUT CAPPING SALARIES.

How many under Shalala?

There's a huge FACKING difference between "TRYING" to kill the football program...WAIT, I'm sorry..."LITERALLY trying" and actually SUCCEEDING.

Now, explain to the class how "LITERALLY TRYING" equalled IN RESULTS to the death of Miami football under Tad Foote. Also, show the class how he restrained UM in facility improvement, recruiting and hiring for any 15 year period during his tenure while the rest of major college football left us behind.

Sure, easy answer will be.."those were different times" or "he would have if he could".....BUT...HE DIDN'T, SHALALA DID.

P.S.: For those shortsighted like yourself who won't believe Shalala wanted to cap coaching salaries at UM, check her recent proposed legislation as a U.S. Representative for her thoughts on that.

1) Not only did I GO to Miami. I was also a long-time employee and Student Government Senator, during Shalala's tenure.

2) If you think capping coaching salaries is bad for Miami, you're a complete idiot with zero understanding of the basic landscape of college football.

3) You look like an even bigger moron calling me "shortsighted" (I would have used myopic, but you're clearly not on that level), maybe go look at that thread and see how many times I commented on it, with actual economic justification based on my studies in, ECONOMICS, that it's good for Miami, if anything?

You're looking at correlation and assuming it's causation. Which is the logic of a not very smart high schooler, at best. I'm assuming you DID NOT go to Miami, or college at all, with this horrific train of "logic." Which makes it absolutely absurd that you would question if I did.

Once again, THE PRESIDENT OF A UNIVERSITY HAS MINIMAL IMPACT ON ATHLETIC PROGRAMS. How many times were you dropped on your head as a child?

It's literally amazing that you can try to sit here and point to one person (who really did not have that much power -- are you aware Miami is a PRIVATE school?) and completely ignore the myriad causes of Miami's demise over that tenure, including:

1) The proliferation of the internet, particularly recruiting sites.
2) Horrific recruiting by Coker, destroying the culture of the program.
3) A NOTORIOUSLY CHEAP BoT, which is the crux of the issue, not Shalala, and I'm amazed how you don't get that, but then again, your lack of intelligence has been impressive.
4) Miami being a victim of it's own success.
5) Leaving an easy Big East.
6) All things Nevin Shapiro.

Now, please, again, provide me the list of things Shalala deliberately did to kill the football program. I'll wait for your next thoughtless response.

Very true.

If you ever catch the game on ESPN Classic, it was a DOWNPOUR, and then JJ decided to run up the score on Mike Archer (one of Schnellenberger's guys who didn't want to coach under JJ).

During halftime, I went down to get food, and while I was waiting for someone, I walked up the tunnel to look out at the beginning of the second half. I guess I must have "loitered", and someone in a raincoat yelled at me to sit the **** down. So I flipped him off and told him to F off. It was a cop.

He proceeded to put me in an illegal chokehold, and when I was trying to breathe, he decided to charge me with "resisting arrest" (I was cuffed already), in addition to the obligatory Deep South "disturbing the peace". How the **** can you "disturb the peace" in a downpour at Death Valley on a Saturday night?

Spent the night in Baton Rouge jail. Good times.
Now I hate those fvckers even more.

1) Not only did I GO to Miami. I was also a long-time employee and Student Government Senator, during Shalala's tenure.

2) If you think capping coaching salaries is bad for Miami, you're a complete idiot with zero understanding of the basic landscape of college football.

3) You look like an even bigger moron calling me "shortsighted" (I would have used myopic, but you're clearly not on that level), maybe go look at that thread and see how many times I commented on it, with actual economic justification based on my studies in, ECONOMICS, that it's good for Miami, if anything?

You're looking at correlation and assuming it's causation. Which is the logic of a not very smart high schooler, at best. I'm assuming you DID NOT go to Miami, or college at all, with this horrific train of "logic." Which makes it absolutely absurd that you would question if I did.

Once again, THE PRESIDENT OF A UNIVERSITY HAS MINIMAL IMPACT ON ATHLETIC PROGRAMS. How many times were you dropped on your head as a child?

It's literally amazing that you can try to sit here and point to one person (who really did not have that much power -- are you aware Miami is a PRIVATE school?) and completely ignore the myriad causes of Miami's demise over that tenure, including:

1) The proliferation of the internet, particularly recruiting sites.
2) Horrific recruiting by Coker, destroying the culture of the program.
3) A NOTORIOUSLY CHEAP BoT, which is the crux of the issue, not Shalala, and I'm amazed how you don't get that, but then again, your lack of intelligence has been impressive.
4) Miami being a victim of it's own success.
5) Leaving an easy Big East.
6) All things Nevin Shapiro.

Now, please, again, provide me the list of things Shalala deliberately did to kill the football program. I'll wait for your next thoughtless response.

Your post was way too long for most people, as the only thing most people care about when it comes to Shalala is "Democrat" and "Clinton friend".

That dictates 99% of the Shalala-related opinions on this board.

Fightin is a good dude, law degree, bright guy, even if he and I disagree on Shalala's impact/blame.

As I pointed out earlier, when UM gave Coker an extension in 2005, COKER WAS ONE OF THE HIGHEST PAID COACHES IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL. Clearly, salaries have gone up since then, but in 2005, we were (gladly) paying for a guy with a ring. Shannon and Golden, AS HEAD COACHES, had no comparable resumes, and as such, they were not paid as much.

Advertisement
Back