For Mark Little - NO Gnome

canesproponent

Sophomore
Hey Mark,

I looked at Morris' tenure between 2009 and 2018. See below. If you exclude the past two seasons, he was still a top-10 coach in the game. Also, with hindsight, his losses were all to World Series bound teams. If they seeded baseball back then like they do basketball, the results would undoubtedly be markedly different. Between 2009 and 2010, Morris produced top-14 teams and his "benefit" was playing markedly higher ranked teams. They also pitted his #11 team against a #14 team. ALL of his losses were to CWS bound teams...........:

2009 - RPI #10 --> Lost to Florida the #8 team in the country
2010 - RPI #14 --> Lost to Florida the #2 team in the country
2011 - RPI of #23 --> Lost to Florida the #1 team in the country
2012 - RPI of #16 --> Lost to Stony Brook who went on to beat LSU (#8) in the Supers.
2013 - RPI of #18 --> Lost to Louisville the #16 team in the country. Louisville also advanced to the CWS by beating Vanderbilt the #2 team on basis of RPI.
2014 - RPI of #11 --> Lost to Texas Tech the #14 team in the country, who then advanced to CWS.
2015 - RPI of #4 --> CWS
2016 - RPI of #3 --> CWS

Advertisement
Good lord. Who gives out credit for losing to great teams? If your own team is any good, you don't get matched up with the best teams in the country.

By the way, we were eliminated by Missouri State in 2012 and Oklahoma State in 2013. They did not make it to Omaha.

I also love this line: "If you exclude the past two seasons....." Yeah, because we don't want to live in reality.

This is the most damning statement of all. The seeding based on our geography was an abomination.......... See Below.............

Another point to consider is WHO Miami should have been playing against:

2009 - Miami should have played the #55 seed and was given the #8 seed
2010 - Miami should have played the #51 seed and was given the #2 seed
2011 - Miami should have played the #42 seed and was given the #1 seed
2012 - They seeded Miami correctly, but the fact that Stony Brook defeated BOTH Miami and then #8 LSU shows that Stony was poorly seeded
2013 - Miami should have played the #47 seed and was given the #16 seed (who in turn beat the #2 overall team in the Supers)
2014 - Miami should have played the #54 seed and was given the #14 seed

This is the most damning statement of all. The seeding based on our geography was an abomination.......... See Below.............

Another point to consider is WHO Miami should have been playing against:

2009 - Miami should have played the #55 seed and was given the #8 seed
2010 - Miami should have played the #51 seed and was given the #2 seed
2011 - Miami should have played the #42 seed and was given the #1 seed
2012 - They seeded Miami correctly, but the fact that Stony Brook defeated BOTH Miami and then #8 LSU shows that Stony was poorly seeded
2013 - Miami should have played the #47 seed and was given the #16 seed (who in turn beat the #2 overall team in the Supers)
2014 - Miami should have played the #54 seed and was given the #14 seed

Oh geez. This is a mild case of mental retardation. We didn't open with those seeds, genius. Teams 1-16 are all going to have a 17-32 team in their regional. Good grief.

Needless to say, during Morris' worst stretch, he was still among the best!

Looking forward to next season! We should have a promising team and am fairly certain that next year's performance will eradicate all resident Gator-trolls! Will return in June of '19.

See everyone next June! [A reliable source told me that the Gators are naming Chip Kelly coach of the football team next week. Boy.... UCLA is going to be furious!!! Looks like the gnome was right after all!!!!]

Advertisement
If they seeded baseball back then like they do basketball, the results would undoubtedly be markedly different. Between 2009 and 2010, Morris produced top-14 teams and his "benefit" was playing markedly higher ranked teams.

This is, of course, a good point and one I've made regarding 2010 specifically. The committee seeds #1 through #16 now which is an improvement from the way it used to be.

In 2010, Miami won 20 games in the ACC and was #8 in the RPI yet they not only weren't a national seed but their Regional was paired with #3 national seed Florida.

Since expansion in 2005, there have been 27 teams that won 20 ACC games and finished in the top 10 of the RPI. Only three of them weren't given a national seed.

Florida State went 18-12 in the ACC (Miami was 20-10) and was #14 in the RPI (Miami was #8) yet they were matched with the #7 national seed.

That #7 seed (Louisville) lost their Regional and therefore FSU was able to host and won their Super Regional.

Nothing but dumb luck.

If your own team is any good, you don't get matched up with the best teams in the country.

This is not true as I just demonstrated.

The 2010 seedings are still one of the most perplexing mistreatments I've ever seen.

And you're missing the point (as usual).

The point is that all but one of the teams in our bracket (2009 Florida) went to the CWS. We weren't a "mediocre" team losing to mediocre teams. We were losing to CWS teams almost every time.

This is not true as I just demonstrated.

The 2010 seedings are still one of the most perplexing mistreatments I've ever seen.

And you're missing the point (as usual).

The point is that all but one of the teams in our bracket (2009 Florida) went to the CWS. We weren't a "mediocre" team losing to mediocre teams. We were losing to CWS teams almost every time.

Except that we didn't get eliminated by the CWS teams every time.

And if you don't want to be paired with a national seed, be a national seed.

Advertisement
And if you don't want to be paired with a national seed, be a national seed.

2010 probably should've been one. And if not, should've been matched with a much lower national seed than #3.

If you swap Miami and Florida State, then Miami probably goes to Omaha and you have less to praise Mike Martin about.

This is, of course, a good point and one I've made regarding 2010 specifically. The committee seeds #1 through #16 now which is an improvement from the way it used to be.

In 2010, Miami won 20 games in the ACC and was #8 in the RPI yet they not only weren't a national seed but their Regional was paired with #3 national seed Florida.

Since expansion in 2005, there have been 27 teams that won 20 ACC games and finished in the top 10 of the RPI. Only three of them weren't given a national seed.

Florida State went 18-12 in the ACC (Miami was 20-10) and was #14 in the RPI (Miami was #8) yet they were matched with the #7 national seed.

That #7 seed (Louisville) lost their Regional and therefore FSU was able to host and won their Super Regional.

Nothing but dumb luck.

Here's what wasn't dumb luck: losing the last two ACC series, one against the team we were competing with for a national seed, and losing to Boston College in the ACC tournament. The national seed was ours until we finished the season 5-5.

2010 probably should've been one. And if not, should've been matched with a much lower national seed than #3.

If you swap Miami and Florida State, then Miami probably goes to Omaha and you have less to praise Mike Martin about.

Miami's placement in 2010 wasn't unique. We weren't a victim. That's how the seeding goes. It is regional. You may not like it, but that's how it is. Stanford would like to have Jacksonville as its #2 instead of Cal State Fullerton. It's not a Miami 2010 problem.

Advertisement
Here's what wasn't dumb luck: losing the last two ACC series, one against the team we were competing with for a national seed, and losing to Boston College in the ACC tournament. The national seed was ours until we finished the season 5-5.

Florida State reaching Omaha based on their draw was dumb luck. Which is what I said.

Despite going 5-5 in the last 10, Miami should've gotten a national seed and if not, should've been matched with somebody other than #3.

Nothing you've said addresses the issue.

Miami's placement in 2010 wasn't unique. We weren't a victim. That's how the seeding goes. It is regional.

Florida State, a school closer to Gainesville, was matched with a weaker national seed farther away.

And Florida State had a worse season and worse resume but was given an easier draw.

The committee has been terrible on things like this for years. No rhyme or reason to much of it.

Florida State reaching Omaha based on their draw was dumb luck. Which is what I said.

Despite going 5-5 in the last 10, Miami should've gotten a national seed and if not, should've been matched with somebody other than #3.

Nothing you've said addresses the issue.

Why would the committee single Miami out to set us up more favorably based on RPI? They didn't do that for any other team in any other year. It's a REGIONAL and they place teams REGIONALLY. We have benefited from it. I don't see you claiming that our opponents got a raw deal by having to play us.

Advertisement
Miami's placement in 2010 wasn't unique. We weren't a victim. That's how the seeding goes. It is regional. You may not like it, but that's how it is. Stanford would like to have Jacksonville as its #2 instead of Cal State Fullerton. It's not a Miami 2010 problem.

You seem to have nothing to say about that particular incident because you know I'm right.

You just want to argue and complain more.

You seem to have nothing to say about that particular incident because you know I'm right.

You just want to argue and complain more.

Yeah, that incident plus a hundred others. The committee, before 2018, never attempted to place teams after 1-8 except based on geography.

Advertisement
Back