For all the people who claim Mario changed the offense just watch this

Advertisement
as much research as Mario does with each of his hires to the point that it can drag weeks and weeks, he should have seen the same thing, right? In the end he is making the hires so bears the responsibility.
Mario insured he hired someone who agreed to run a Mario style offense. This may not be Dawson's preferred offense. Just my opinion. Disagree all you want but this is a Mario offense.

Unless it changed. This is how I understand it.
In college the exemption is if the ball is thrown behind the line of scrimmage. In that particular scenario they can get down field without it being a penalty hence all the RPO WR screens. Also, the distance for illegal man downfield is 1yard vs 3 in college. Those two differences are why we dont see nearly as much RPO in the NFL

respectfully, i have to question if you've watched us at all ... george runs that pattern from the first play in the clip atleast five times a game
I guess to be specific: I didn't see this over and over and over
SmartSelect_20231111_210951_Video Player.gif
SmartSelect_20231111_211005_Video Player.gif

The minute or so I watched showed a greater diversity in play calls. I didn't see so many slow developing run plays when the were runs.

A recognizable play doesn't mean it's a similar style of play calling. Also I didn't see as many "big" packages as I do in our games.

Advertisement
A little longer post, but my thoughts on the offense:

This offense is different from what he ran in Houston, and even from what we're seeing in this video above. There was more motion in that video and I saw slot players running down the seams. I also saw that against TAMU, and now I don't. So, yes, I think that the offense is different (slightly) from what he has run in the past.

But, I agree that there are worrisome things from his past that many noticed before Dawson came here. He does have a huge limitation at QB and that will make any OC look meh. He does have an HC who prioritizes game control and slow, methodical play and that, along with the new clock rules in college football, will limit the number of plays and artificially deflate offensive stats.

But that's as far as I will go to defend Dawson.

As an OC, he's not getting the job done because he's not finding creative ways to free up players, he's not finding ways to have receivers catch the ball on the move, and he's not creating matchups and scenarios for the the most dynamic players to get the ball enough.

There are ways to scheme your best players into space. There are ways to ensure that your best players touch the ball. We don't do either of those and I don't understand why we don't do that.

We're talking about lacking difference makers, not having explosive players, and it's B-S. We have several young players that can be explosive and make plays. I don't care if a young guy doesn't know the entire playbook. You telling me that we can't scheme four-to-five plays a game to get Chris Johnson the ball? Five-to-seven touches for Brashard Smith? Jacolby George?

I'm not saying that all of our more explosive players should get five touches a game, but I'm saying that at least ONE OF THEM should be getting a guaranteed five touches a game and another should have a couple packages.

Sample for Smith: A reverse, a screen for him, a Wildcat run, a two-back PA dump off to him, and a traditional run.

Do you know what that does to a defense? Every time he's on the field, now you're dedicating a pair of eyes to JUST Brashard Smith. Now the defense is playing 10-on-11 because they've got to dedicate at least one person to pay attention to him. The whole defense has to communicate about where he is and focus mental bandwidth to maintaining awareness of his position on the field.

I watched our defense struggle with this against Concepcion at NC State. I saw how a good offense coordinator uses weapons to stress a defense and in the most critical moments of that game, the cumulative effect of that stress caused our best unit to fracture. Does anybody think that NC State has more or better weapons than Miami?

Ok, then..
Exactly.

Ppl act like Dawson is being told not to score.

He is creating the gameplan and calling the plays and determining who is getting the rock where and when.

Appreciate this post as it debunks one of many bull**** narratives this board likes to run with.

100% the blame falls on the HC for poor OC/player talent. Same way it falls on guys who have soft teams or teams that don't play D.

But let's look at the facts when it comes to these narratives:

1. Mario the meddler - This really started with Joe Moorehead in the Oregon fanbase. Well pull up PSU offense with Moorehead and point to me what is different. The difference was skill talent - McSorley, Barkley/Miles Sanders, DeaSean Hamilton and Mike Gesicki vs. Oregon who had - wait for it - zero draft picks at skill positions. The OP in this thread is another example. The offense is pretty much the same. Condensed formations, with similar motion from TE/slot on occasion, and spread looks mixed in, only to go back to condensed formations.

2. Mario the QB killer - Study #1 - Justin Herbert - Hard to judge since he didn't play anywhere else in college, but he was 66.8% completion, 8.1 YPA 32/6 TD (little better than 5/1) ratio in 2019 and went 12-2. In the NFL he has a 30-28 record, 67% completions, 7.2 YPA, 111 TDs to 40 picks (little less than 3/1 ratio). Obviously, the NFL is a different ball game and a million other factors come in, but where exactly did Mario hold him back at Oregon?? Hard to point anything he is doing better in the NFL compared to college.

Study #2 - Tyler Shough - not going to post the numbers but he was actually BETTER at Oregon anyway you slice it compared to at Texas Tech - and it's not particularly close. Where is the QB killing?

Study #3 - Anthony Brown - Passing numbers are nearly identical to BC, but he ran for FIVE TIMES as many yards at Oregon than he ever did at BC. Where was he held back?

3. The new CIS go to "fast and fizical." Weren't you the same clowns complaining about how soft we were under the last regime? Name one championship contender that is not fast and physical? How is that not a desirable trait? You don't portal in fast and physical, you build it through culture over time.

Again, improving the O ultimately falls on the HC, as it should. But there is plenty of evidence showing these narratives are bull****.
Ay man you my new favorite porster! Lol

Been saying this… this QB killer narrative is str8 from our rivals and our own “fans” gobbled it up and use it more than the ppl who “hate” the U. There is no data to suggest that, As you pointed out.

Get a load of 84 in those 2 clips, thought he was doing the drunk bat on the forehead spinning round and round deal, my goodness

First and foremost we have a QB problem. There are others issues that trickle down from that.
Everything trickles down from that. Hurts the passing game most obviously but crushes the run game as well because nobody respects our passing game.

I love the heart Emory plays with but let’s not act like he was lighting it up. Kid has a future
But we need a portal qb or 2 for that matter.

Advertisement
Of course he isn't a victim and for the record i wanted hugh freeze not mario but people act like Dawson’s playcalling was drastically different at Houston and its just not the case. But in the end it falls on Mario for hiring him no doubt.
Dawson sucked at Kentucky, at his stop after that and at Houston. He’s not a good coordinator. It’s another fail by Mario. As you said, Mario didn’t change anything, he’s getting exactly what he wanted.

Dawson sucked at Kentucky, at his stop after that and at Houston. He’s not a good coordinator. It’s another fail by Mario. As you said, Mario didn’t change anything, he’s getting exactly what he wanted.
The charade here is some will blame Dawson, as if that isn't another strike against Mario's hiring and decision making prowess...

The offense in the OP is terrible. 7 points and held to 70+ yards of offense in the first half. You can tell the windows to throw in were tight. Houston’s qb who was better than TVD would hold onto it looking for someone to throw to. The plays don’t have to be the same from Houston, it’s the philosophy and lack of imagination and creativity. Dawson does no favors for his qb or the skill position players.

Mario insured he hired someone who agreed to run a Mario style offense. This may not be Dawson's preferred offense. Just my opinion. Disagree all you want but this is a Mario offense.
OP brought up that Dawson's offense at Houston was not much different. So my point was Mario must have known this too. I do recall Houston fans complaining the same way. He just overall had better QB play than he does now. So yeah it's a Mario offense but it's not like he is handcuffing Dawson either.

Advertisement
My biggest gripe is we don’t take advantage of the entire field. Stretching a defense and getting our athletes in space should be paramount; yet, we avoid it like it’s the plague.

Even when we run trips, it’s out of a tight bunch set that’s 5 yards away from our OL. Like, what in the **** is the rationale for that? If you want to do it occasionally, that’s fine. But we legit never send our guys all the way to the numbers. It’s sickening. Never mind the fact it’s easier for defenses to disguise their blitzes/stunts when we’re operating out of a phone booth. We need to tone down the condensed formations. They ain’t fooling anyone.

3. The new CIS go to "fast and fizical." Weren't you the same clowns complaining about how soft we were under the last regime? Name one championship contender that is not fast and physical? How is that not a desirable trait? You don't portal in fast and physical, you build it through culture over time.
Homie, there's nothing "fast" about this offense at all. From the pace they play at to the grinding running game, mediocre speed at receiver and tight ends who are just extensions of the offensive line. This is a SLOW offense. And it's done so on purpose.

You can be physical without moving at a snail's pace and playing in a phone booth. Being physical doesn't mean lacking explosion.

Advertisement
OP brought up that Dawson's offense at Houston was not much different. So my point was Mario must have known this too. I do recall Houston fans complaining the same way. He just overall had better QB play than he does now. So yeah it's a Mario offense but it's not like he is handcuffing Dawson either.
Thats exactly the point of my post. Mario is far from innocent in this but so is Dawson. He's not being held hostage by Mario he's a willing participant. Just read this article below. ...Key part of the article "was attracted to Dawson because of the power run game he and Dana holgelorsen ran at West Virginia

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231105_150107_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231105_150107_Samsung Internet.jpg
    676.3 KB · Views: 0
Advertisement
Back