Football School: Does Miami really run an Air Raid?

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator

Message boards are full of so-called experts who never played or coached the game at the high levels. I’m one of them. CanesInSight is blessed to have Mike Zuckerman, a ten-year college coaching veteran, take us to Football School. He will join the show regularly to provide insight on terms we use every day, but may not fully understand. Zuck, a Miami alum, spent seven years in UM’s football program in various roles and, for the past three years, served as the linebackers...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don’t really remember the early Air Raid guys going fast or playing with tempo. That seems more like something that was adopted later on with the influence of Briles and Texas high school football and Chip Kelly. And now Air Raid route tree guys like Dykes and Lashlee use it.

Advertisement
I gotta be honest, I don’t think we really have an identity yet. I feel like last year was more experimenting with different philosphies trying to see what worked and what didn’t. Spacing is huge in air raid, but our wr spacing left something to be desired many times pre and post snap.

I get the feeling our final identify will be one that has merries up to the type of running game Mario wants to run. Our run game was not air raid at all, unless you want to say it is because we ran the same crappy plays over and over (lots of repitition in air raid). The one tweak I would love to see this year is more prensap motion. That;s not air raid, but I think that would help us do better of understanding defense leans.

Funny comment about 7v7 and air raid. My 7v7 teams were very air raid-eque, with limited playbook that we ran really well and I could make quick tweaks without it being a totally different play. Heck we had many instances where we ran the same play back to back. QB would make presnap read and audible and we kept it moving. But most teams we played had playsheets with 100s of plays on them, lol

That said, makes no sense for them to not chase 7v7 stars. There are routes for them. Get the best athletets anf put them in routes where they can eat. Shallow crosses at right time are huge, I’ve even see shallow crosses behind the line.

I love what you guys are doing with this site. Just one thing I offer as a good faith observation:
I listened for 10 to 15 minutes and still did know exactly what an air raid offense is or whether the UM actually runs it. It was probably explained better later on but I was too busy to listen through and had to turn it off.
I’m sure you’ll improve and, again, I love the direction of the site and the videos, too.

Advertisement
Air Raid is predominantly 10-00 personnel. Do we run those personnel sets, consistently? No. There's your answer.

Air Raid is predominantly 10-00 personnel. Do we run those personnel sets, consistently? No. There's your answer.
Nah. Coach clearly stated that the air raid started out with 21 (edited) personnel.

Air Raid is a philosophy: an pass-heavy offense that gets playmakers the ball in space. "Run a core group of plays...and excecute those core group of plays at an extremely high level..."

How they practice, the drills they run, the language they use, ball out quick---these are the things that distinguish air raid from other offenses. WRs, TEs, RBs, perfect their route running, adjust routes to coverages (if the defense does that, do this) and beat defenses with execution.

Dawson runs the traditional Leech air raid passing staples (4 verts, mesh, corner, stick). So, he recruited a QB that has run air raid for the last three years. He's recruiting a WR that has played in an air raid offense for two years. Air raid.

Leech ain't winning no championships with how pass-heavy his offenses are. So, the Air raid differs in coaches' run game philosophy, which doesn't make the offense any more or less "air raid" imo. Dana Holmgerson (a Leech disciple) ran more diverse run plays. He's an air raid coach.

At MIAMI, we see pro-set running plays because the OC and OL coaches have to be hand and glove.

The only criticism I have with Dawson is tempo, he needs to go up-tempo. With upgrades and experience at QB, RB (fingers crossed), and WR, this air raid offense will be one of best in college football.

Last edited:
I get the sense that "pro style" running is this slang for slow developing run.

Miami has ran four verticals as long as I could remember.

If we run air raid concepts then our air raid implementation is incredibly dysfunctional. Our offense is a combination of the worst of the air raid combined with the worst of the power game.

It's like trying to put together an NFL quarterback and you say I want Michael Vick's head and Peyton Manning's legs. Not a great best of both worlds.

Advertisement
Nah. Coach clearly stated that the air raid started out with 12 personnel.

Air Raid is a philosophy: an pass-heavy offense that gets playmakers the ball in space. "Run a core group of plays...and excecute those core group of plays at an extremely high level..."

How they practice, the drills they run, the language they use, ball out quick---these are the things that distinguish air raid from other offenses. WRs, TEs, RBs, perfect their route running, adjust routes to coverages (if the defense does that, do this) and beat defenses with execution.

Dawson runs the traditional Leech air raid passing staples (4 verts, mesh, corner, stick). So, he recruited a QB that has run air raid for the last three years. He's recruiting a WR that has played in an air raid offense for two years. Air raid.

Leech ain't winning no championships with how pass-heavy his offenses are. So, the Air raid differs in coaches' run game philosophy, which doesn't make the offense any more or less "air raid" imo. Dana Holmgerson (a Leech disciple) ran more diverse run plays. He's an air raid coach.

At MIAMI, we see pro-set running plays because the OC and OL coaches have to be hand and glove.

The only criticism I have with Dawson is tempo, he needs to go up-tempo. With upgrades and experience at QB, RB (fingers crossed), and WR, this air raid offense will be one of best in college football.

The air raid did not start with 12 personnel. Please cite the source for that. 20 personnel? Yes. 2 TE sets not even?

How long did that even last? A few years, in the 70s? You couldny name 6 Air raid coaches who even run that offense under center or with 2 TEs. Lets not play that game.

Dawson runs the **** Mario wants him to run. He has air raid concepts. He doesnt run an Air Raid offense.

We know, Leach, and other Air Raid coaches, aint win any Shipz with that offense. No one said they did. The point is, he doesnt run an air raid just Air Raid concepts.

Air Raid used to use split back sets and pass to the backs a lot with no/very minimal use of a TE.

You trying to act like our 12 personnel prostyle sets are anything close to coach Mumme original sets within his offense is insane. Not sure why you mentioned it.

Neither Leach nor Mumme would consider this offense Air Raid. Especially Leach. He been on record. As nauseam calling the **** we run "stupid".

So please, lets not stand on ceremony here. I know what im talking about and i said what i said.

Advertisement
Back