Off-Topic Food shortages coming?

Suhrthing

Recruit
Between the war on fossil fuels, geopolitics, inflation, deteriorating supply chains etc. I believe food shortages are coming for millions; the only question being how widespread.

Sri Lanka is now giving public workers friday off to grow gardens.

Last edited:
Advertisement
My local Sam's had no chicken, and limited amounts of other fresh protein. Other grocers are rationing poultry, getting worse by the day here.

Advertisement
My local Sam's had no chicken, and limited amounts of other fresh protein. Other grocers are rationing poultry, getting worse by the day here.
Growing up in Iowa I know all about beef and pork. What I didn't know is that nearly 80% of agriculture in the world is spent growing grains for animals. The meat industry controls politicians worldwide. The meat industry gets $38 billion dollars annually in subsidies from the US government (you and me) while fruit and vegetable farmers get $20 million annually.

We are using land, water and grains just to feed animals to eat them. I'm not a vegetarian or vegan. However, what we're doing is not sustainable. It's inefficient and wasteful. I'm making a concerted effort to reduce my meat, poultry, and fish(actually 100% NO fish) consumption by 75%.

Plant protein is sustainable. It's a direct line from the ground to the food table. It can be stored for long periods of time.

If you have Amazon Prime, check out "Eating Our Way to Extinction. " it's eye opening.
Amazon product ASIN B09KJ6822F

Growing up in Iowa I know all about beef and pork. What I didn't know is that nearly 80% of agriculture in the world is spent growing grains for animals. The meat industry controls politicians worldwide. The meat industry gets $38 billion dollars annually in subsidies from the US government (you and me) while fruit and vegetable farmers get $20 million annually.

We are using land, water and grains just to feed animals to eat them. I'm not a vegetarian or vegan. However, what we're doing is not sustainable. It's inefficient and wasteful. I'm making a concerted effort to reduce my meat, poultry, and fish(actually 100% NO fish) consumption by 75%.

Plant protein is sustainable. It's a direct line from the ground to the food table. It can be stored for long periods of time.

If you have Amazon Prime, check out "Eating Our Way to Extinction. " it's eye opening.

You eat what you like and I'll wish you the best, but I don't want to live in a world without bacon. Thanks for the informative post btw.

You eat what you like and I'll wish you the best, but I don't want to live in a world without bacon. Thanks for the informative post btw.
You should still watch the film if you can. It will change your thought about food. I use to eat a lot of fish. I will no longer eat fish especially farm raised fish after seeing how they farm it and the health issues even with wild caught fish.

I'm not going to tell people what to eat. To each his own, but we should all be informed about the food we eat.

Advertisement

I'll check it out, and I'm not saying I don't believe you - but I'm instantly skeptical anytime I hear the words 'not sustainable' when it comes to current way of life; climate, fossil fuels, industrial farming etc.

1655684610365.jpeg

Advertisement
Not sure the accuracy of this link but there have been a bunch of food plant accidents this year too

I'll check it out, and I'm not saying I don't believe you - but I'm instantly skeptical anytime I hear the words 'not sustainable' when it comes to current way of life; climate, fossil fuels, industrial farming etc.
It's not sustainable to have 80% of agriculture as grain feed. Iowa is all soybean and feed corn. Feed corn is not consumed by people. This is not the sweet corn that you buy at the super market. We're talking farms 500-1000 acres. The soy could be human consumption and they may process some of it now, but it was never the intention when I was growing up there. There are over 300,000 soybean farms in the US. 70% of soybeans are for animal feed in the US and 77% of it globally is animal feed.

The film is not some scare tactic. It just presents the facts of our crop and meat production and how it is affecting us.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's not sustainable to have 80% of agriculture as grain feed. Iowa is all soybean and feed corn. Feed corn is not consumed by people. This is not the sweet corn that you buy at the super market. We're talking farms 500-1000 acres. The soy could be human consumption and they may process some of it now, but it was never the intention when I was growing up there. There are over 300,000 soybean farms in the US. 70% of soybeans are for animal feed in the US and 77% of it globally is animal feed.

The film is not some scare tactic. It just presents the facts of our crop and meat production and how it is affecting us.
Why is it that not sustainable?

Why is it that not sustainable?
Too much land is being used to feed grains to animals and not people leaving a shortage of food other than meat.

A majority of water resources are used for crops and animals. There are water shortages around the world. This will get worse.

The meat industry continues expansion of farms. The expansion is destroying ecological systems that protect us by sustaining our climate and providing oxygen to the earth.

The use of so much land as farms reduces the amount of land available for housing. With populations increasing and available lands decreasing, the results are future housing problems.

You don't need to rely on what I'm saying. Do your own research. I just wanted to share so people become aware of the issues as I was not.

100%. Been reading about this for years when I started my plant based diet kick. It is a big problem and not sustainable. The amount of years left is the big question. This country over consumes meat.

Back to the original topic, the food storage will definitely be felt at some point here, imo. Between diesel (transportation) prices and grain supply issues in Ukraine (I know ukraine isn't the only country that exports grain, soy, etc. but other countries in the middle east are significanlty reducing exports of the same - that has a cascading effect).

Advertisement
Back